Information about work in budapest

I'm wondering if someone could help me and sharing some information about work in budapest.
I would like to move there as soon as i can obtain some answers to make me less stressed about this decision.
I already have an apartment where to stay in the center of budapest, a friend that study there is helping me to stay in her house for some month so I can concentrate to find a job. I have some experience; i worked in some restaurants in italy  as kitchen porter, chef assistant, helping somehow in that field. Then i worked in Scotland as assistant chef in a restaurant in the center of Edinburgh. And now I'm with not so much money and alone trying to find my way. I always used to love cooking so still now i didnt change my idea. I would like to improve this subject with some curses in budapest or just start to clean some dishes and make some money for the first period. Who knows, i could stay there, meeting people and understand more about everything.
Thank You anyway

Again, not my field of expertise, so all I can say is "Good luck!"

With the economy in the gutters, competition is likely to be fierce for unskilled jobs, and enterprises like restaurants are less likely to expand or open anew.

From what I hear rotation is high among restaurant staff, so there is some hope to find _something_ in reasonable time. But the reason for the rotation is low pay. high expectations, and tax evasion.

Hello You...niverse.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

For more visibility, a new thread has been created from your message on the Budapest forum.

The Jobs in Budapest section is at your disposal. Do not hesitate to post an advert there.

Thank you,
Aurélie

szocske wrote:

Again, not my field of expertise, so all I can say is "Good luck!"

With the economy in the gutters, competition is likely to be fierce for unskilled jobs, and enterprises like restaurants are less likely to expand or open anew.

From what I hear rotation is high among restaurant staff, so there is some hope to find _something_ in reasonable time. But the reason for the rotation is low pay. high expectations, and tax evasion.

and an extra important thing to consider as always here: the language.

Half of your collegues aren't going to be able to understand you, I suppose they'll be more inclined to hire a local or someone with at least knowledge of the basics of Hungarian.

Getting a job which requires no or low skills are extremely difficult and very low paid. Be extremely cautious, your employer will force you to accept an low official salary and get the part of the money in cash. But - many-many bad experience - you will be cheated and you will never see any salary....

These are hard times un hungary, the economy is declining..

You...niverse

Not that I am too optimist about economic future of my homeland, but you probably have a good reason for coming here.

So, my two cent would be on direct approach. Take major restaurants, if possible run by foreigners, such as Costas for example, but some further googling will help you on this. Then offer them something valuable from your expertise in exchange for money and local experience.

Then go for some extremely fast language immersion crascourse. Take either Tim Ferriss - the 4hour workweek guy - on this subject or google up fluent in three months that is roughly the same. This would help you get fluent within a few weeks instead of years. To give a quick recap on the method. 1. take the top 100 or 1000 Hungarian words and their pronounciation. 2. get flashcards (google ANKI) and make one for yourself if needed. 3. translate 12 top useful sentences that gets you going, 4. launch yourself and start to converse with Hungarian people (via skype if you are not onsite)

Good luck, and yes, be cautious like you would be at home or in any other major cities.