NIE + Social Security Numbers

Hi,

Sorry if this has been posted already......

Can anyone advise the quickest way to get an NIE and Social Security number. Had no idea how important these were if looking for work out here. I have a number of interviews lined up which wont go ahead until I get these docs, so ideally I need to sort this out as soon as.

Any help / advice would me much appreciated.

Cheers

Take a look at this earlier post ... being from the UK it may be easier for you ... At least I hope so ...

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14210

There is advice on both of these topics on my firm's website but I can't help you personally as we are on the Costa del Sol and not Barcelona.

Joining the social security system

Advice on obtaining a NIE number

On the NIE number, which you will nee first, it is much easier if you apply for the NIE and Residencia togther using a form EX16.

Hi there,

as we work with a lot of interns from abroad we have a lot of experience in that, so here are some advices.

You have to go to the Office for foreigners at Calle Balmes 192 with a passport picture, 10 Euros in cash (to be paid at the bank after you got your fill out papers), your work contract in Spanish or a letter saying that you will work for such and such (also in Spanish) and a copy of your passport.

The office usually opens at 9am and I suggest you go early and take a book or magazines as you normally have to wait some time.

As you don't have a job yet it might be difficult to get the N.I.E in advance as they usually want to see a contract or letter from a work place.

I hope I could help

Karina

thanks for the advice! - all sorted now

Sorry probably a bit late for you! but this book which will help new expats with NIE, Residencia etc etc with use examples of how to fill the forms out....easy to buy online (and its up to date!)

http://www.innoword.com/media/spain.html

I am looking to move to Barcelona, or an area near Barcelona, with my family by the summer of 2011.  We are currently living in Los Angeles, California and are tired of the life here.  Both my wife and I are teachers, I have a masters in Education from USC and my wife has a B.A., we both are bilingual in Spanish and English and will be looking to teach or some other job which we can find with our qualifications.  I also have a background in finance and sales, but do not know how useful this will be in Spain.  Is there anybody out there that can guide us?  We have also been looking at the real estate in Barcelona and the houses seem expensive and small.  Can anybody tell me what other places are close to Barcelona, but where housing prices are more affordable?  Sorry for having so many questions, but I do not want to blow it.  One more question, would it be difficult to set up a business (Mexican Food Restaurant)?  Thanks for all your help.

Hi jgurrola,

I've been living in BCN for the past two years... it's a bit tough to get a job as teacher here (there are loads of expats teaching or else trying to get a job as well), but I think it is possible. Try loquo.es (search for jobs and teacher) for some positions offered. Also, I'd advise you to register in couchsurfing.org, as many csurfers (in BCN community) work as teachers and often give advice on how to find a job etc. They usually require a certificate (Cambridge, TOFL, English as a foreign language etc.) for you to teach here; however, if you're a native, and also have an MA, I think your chances are pretty good. (Money's not that good though; wages in BCN are generally low - say, 1000-1300 euros per month). I think you should search for teaching jobs on the web but also something related to your finance and sales bg. (Reckon there are more jobs in the second field - but the crisis is being felt here in almost all areas). Also, you'll need a work permit etc. (I think the info on how to get that is in this site somewehere; I dunno much regarding that cos I'm an European citizen). Housing prices are very high here, however now, with the crisis, things got a bit cheaper. I'd say around BCN (even small towns that have beaches) houses and flats are cheaper, generally speaking (f.i., Mataró, Vilanova...). Many people choose to leave a bit far cause it's cheaper and more relaxed, and the transportation system works pretty well. Hope this helps.

Hi jgurrola

Just adding to MarlonX's reply, there are a few international Finance Shared Service Centres in Barcelona so it would be worth looking into these if you want to re-use your Finance skills.

This link might help: http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=f … gle+Search

Also, regarding the restaurant, there is help in Spain for people wanting to start their own businesses, but as with every other area of life here, the paperwork is complicated and the waiting times looooong! Also, Barcelona seems saturated with different types of restaurant (although not many Mexican!) so in the current climate you'd need to be well-placed and provide an outstanding offering to succeed.