International Banking in Nigeria

I am moving from South Africa to Abuja Nigeria in July 2010. I would like to know about the Nigeria banking system. I have been travelling there for a bit and I do realise that most people walk around with cold hard cash. I would like to know which bank is better to use for transferring funds outside Nigeria back to South Africa.

People walk with cash because they dont like technology over there. people also walk with cash because not all business over there accepts electronic payments or credit cards. Nigeria rebranded and restructured their banks few years ago, so all nigerian banks are reliable. we have only 25 banks in nigeria, which are very reliable.

Tx - really helps. I'm thinking of signing up with Oceanic.

GT Bank allows you to open a dollar account that your can use to send cash out as well.

Comes with a Tx charge but is reasonalble.

Yes I also recommend GT bank I have never had any issue transferring US dollars to my bank in Canada.

Yes I would recommend GT also. My uncle works there and it is a great place and very reliable service.

GT bank is the best bank even banks are also fraud in Nigeria but GT Bank is Trustworthy.

Ill advice Stanbic Bank!
Best regards

Hey, Shamone! I don't know where u got the idea that people here walk around with hard cash:) but we rarely do, even in the rural areas. Most banks are reliable because the entire banking system has had an overhaul. All the banks mentioned are good. I personal keep my bulk sum at First bank because its the richest n has branches in UK and I think the US. Standard chatered and Zenith bank are also good.

Standard Chartered Bank all the way.

Looking to blog with any Americans or other expats living in Enugu, Nigeria.  Trying to decide whether to move there or not.

There's not much in Enugu apart from the Mercedes assembly plant close to the airport and the NBC bottling plant out at 9th Mile.