Considering moving to Jakarta this year=))

Hi everyone! I have an opportunity moving to Jakarta for a job for 1-1.5 years (or maybe longer, who knows:-). Could you tell me your experience living there or anything that I should bear in mind when considering such an opportunity. I heard that it is a very beautiful place to live in, but that's it.
Thanks a million=)))

hello Kse and welcome to the forum
yeah indonesia is a lovely place and its people are so kind
since you already have a job there, dont worry, just pack your bags, get a ticket at hand and fly there, coz the main problem there is how to get a job( as far as i know)
and expats in here may help you with different points of view:)

Hadji, thanks a lot=)))))

Hello kse,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Christine, thank you so much!=)

kse wrote:

I heard that it is a very beautiful place to live in, but that's it.

"Beautiful" is probably the last word that comes to mind when I see Jakarta.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 573#527221

Yeah, im also considering moving to Jakarta. Got a job, but what things are cool and not so cool??

Busy negotiating package so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

mas fred wrote:
kse wrote:

I really agree.

Hi welcome :) I agree with u.. the main problem now is traffic jam that never ends especially on weekdays.. and u must try one of the most delicious food in the world named rendang.. cheers :)

Welcome to Indonesia kse :)
lot of places to visit if u came here :D
ofc museums, Taman Mini Indonesia Indah, Kebun Raya Bogor, Pulau Seribu, stay with citizen at Badui Tribe.

have great days.

It has an inner beauty. The inside of my house is one of those areas as is my wife...

mas fred wrote:
kse wrote:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 573#527221

100% agree with you. indonesia might be beautiful, but jakarta was not. it is mainly for business, but still you can get to another beautiful places in indonesia.

regards,
riyan

Welcome to Indonesia Kse, you are right Indonesia has much beautiful place :)
Especially Bali and other such wonderful islands here.
Hoping you will enjoy Kse :)

xtinecantabile wrote:
mas fred wrote:
kse wrote:

I really agree.

Christine, sometimes you have to change your standing angle or step back to have a best view of things because they don't seem to be clear when you are closer...

nadji22uk wrote:

Christine, sometimes you have to change your standing angle or step back to have a best view of things because they don't seem to be clear when you are closer...

Thank you Nadji for the comment. But I think I've seen Jakarta from all the angle there is. Compared to other cities that I've lived in (there are 6 of them), Jakarta is my least favorite. And yes, I still can't see why people say that Jakarta is beautiful. I'm so sorry if you don't agree... Hey why don't you help me out to find its so called beauty?

Jakarta is just like most concrete jungle in Asia.
It basically will accommodate everything you want, you just need to know where to find it
This city definitely not for lazy or tired people that expect same same life everyday
Expect the unexpected is basically best way thinking of living in this city
But well hey they have everything within your pocket range
cheap decent acommodation, easy taxi, cheap garment, cheap night out and etc

Also so far it still gives me enough/lot challenge for my career. I can't live in any other part of Indonesia. It will bored me.

Well, everything has its own pros and cons and, Jakarta is one of them.

What I'm about to write is not representing of all Jakarta as I live in South Jakarta.

South Jakarta

Pros:
- Closer to the Central Business District in Jakarta.
- The air quality is a little better than in other parts in the City.

Cons:
-Traffic
-Pollution
-and, last but not least: too many weird people but there are still a small number of nice and honest local people so they are not extinct (let's hope not :-D)

Good luck!

I would just like to welcome you to the forum and to the Big Durian!

Jakarta is a city of diversity, there are so many interesting stuff to do and to see. The only downside is probably the traffic, thats why you should live somewhere close to your office. The closer, the better.

You could also go to other beautiful places on the weekends. Bali is just less than two hours away by plane, lombok, Or a few hours drive to Bandung, Bogor, Sukabumi etc.  Endless possibilities! 

Be excited. You will have a great time :-)

Annie

welcome to Jakarta :)

but, everything needs cost in Jakarta. :)

jakarta hmmm i've been living here for more than 13 year.. traffic jam is big problem and after flood when is rain season lol

Guys,
Thank you all for your comments! They are of a rea help. My assignment is still under question, but even if it is not confirmed, I will definitely go to visit Indonesia on holidays)))

Welcome to jakarta Kse. I suggest you to live at the south side, cuz there's a lot of cool place to hang out..

kse wrote:

Hi everyone! I have an opportunity moving to Jakarta for a job for 1-1.5 years (or maybe longer, who knows:-). Could you tell me your experience living there or anything that I should bear in mind when considering such an opportunity. I heard that it is a very beautiful place to live in, but that's it.
Thanks a million=)))

so you are from Russia , right ?

welcome to Jakarta , miss

teach me some Russian :)

This is my third year here and I absolutely agree, that Indonesia is a beautiful country, but not Jakarta. If you like shopping, crazy on it, restaurants, jakarta is a good place)) but as we're both from Moscow, I guess you like to walk etc, and there are no place for walking in Jakarta (nearly no place). This is really a concrete jungle. But everything is not so bad as it seems)) if you've decided to come here, let me know!!