African American wishing to relocate to Ghana

Me gustaria saber que tal esta el trabajo en Ghana sobre  electrisitas  me gustaria ir a trabajar

@metrin28 - would you mind to post in English on the English Forum pls :)

Peace Sister,
My husband and I are moving there in a two years. Would you mind keeping in touch and letting me know how things go.

A lot of people replied to this post and some of them were women so I am not sure which sister you are referring to. Perhaps you could start a new post and introduce yourself and I'm sure people will be more than willing to welcome you and give advice about living in Ghana.

Hey Zuri0608

I'm actually still in Cairo at the moment, but would love to connect with you my email is [Moderated: send details in private pls]

hkann,

The person i was speaking to knew what "sister" i was referencing.

Thanx

Exactly! ;)

Hello, my name is Zola from Memphis, TN.  I am planning if it's God's will to visit Accra, Ghana in May 2014.  I am coming to Ghana to see if this is the place for me, and if I do, I hope to connect with other American while living there.

Zola  Morris,

Did you connect with anyone from Ghana than you can pass on to me to do the same. Thank you

Hi... If you get any information about Ghana please contact me .. I am interested in moving there as well..

Jon

[email protected]

Ha ha ha...you are all sisters....

living locale is not that expensive but expensive living the europen stile

so a year later and you didnt go on a go see to Ghana, that a shame.

i will give you my person experience. I move to Accra, Ghana for 3 years to work for multi national company. Let start with the good points it a beautiful country, rich in culture. There always a party, funeral to attend. The sun is shining 80% of the time. you can drink fresh pineapple juice every morning. you can have a maid for just 200 cedis per month ($70 or £40)   who can clean your whole house ad cook your meals. you can eat yam, plantain until your sick. you can go to the beach every weekend. Taxis journey in Accra are cheap. As  a woman you can be on streets at 2am and your safe.

Now for the not so good.  Ghana is far  from cheap the cost of my apartment in Accra could of paid my monthly mortgage in london twice over firstly. you looking at $2500 per month or above  for  apartment in osu, labone, east legon etc. Landlord will want the rent in advance for a period of 1- 3yrs. if you lucky you can get a flatshare for less. if you prepared to live in Spintex rd, tema, adenta etc you can get cheaper  check out ghanafind.com for housing  and variety.

Understanding West African corporate culture was an experience in itself  trust  me. my parents our from West Africa and Caribbean background and that still didn't prepare me.  Ghanaians in Ghana are not has friendly  has people make out .  I  don't mean to offend but living in Accra is  different than coming on holiday and it not a utopia. The average Ghanaian see you has a money opportunity. The Ghanaian men will tell you they love you within 5 mins, your beautiful blah blah. 70 % of them seeing you as a way to get  oversea. I seen alot of intelligent women and men fall for a lot of stupidness.
The job market is very tough, companies salaries have gone down, one of my staff member is on 35,000 cedis( which is $13,000 before tax) per annum and she has degree with over 5yrs work experience in a international company. Do take into mind you pay 25% tax on salaries in Ghana.
Traffic is another annoying  fact
my advice is come to Ghana first you  need to see it for yourself.Living Accra is different from leaving in Kumasi or Tarkwa or Wa etc.

I hoped i have helped

Nima.. You have been a great help in your short but informative note... I have been trying to get others to give information like this so I can see or understand the living in Ghana...

Thank you

I plan to move to Ghana in the next five years, I am so excited!!!

thats good five years thats a long time but why ghana have you been there before? i'm black too and i want to relocate myself.  :)

To you out there who wonna relocate in Ghana, feel free to contact me for any info you need about Ghana. email:[email protected],whatsapp +233544885447. you are welcome to our country

solarman, Im an industrial maintenance guy looking into relocating--any tips??

This is Zola again, from Memphis, TN.  I do not know when I will visit, but soon I hope.  I think we American women should keep in touch and maybe we can start a boarding home together in Ghana for American women.

Thank you for the information on living in Ghana.

Can you please throw some light on living in Accra, Ghana please?

Regards

That  is too general a question. If you look at other threads you will find lots of information about life in Accra

I went under translation for this man and this is what he said:  He is under the wrong subject.

I would like to know that this is the work in Ghana on electrisitas I would like to go to work

Zuri, I am sooo sitting here and reading the screen and chuckling at your reply!

Hi Zola, I am an American too! Did you visit Ghana? How was your experience?
There is a group of Expat woman called "No Worries Ghana" and the group has a Facebook page.
There is also a group of Americans who have African DNA and are living in Ghana and the group has a Facebook page.
I hope these two groups may be helpful to you!

Are you laughing at my translation of that man response.  I did my best, but not to good right!

Hi Zola!

Once I am settled in Accra for a year and I have more connections, I would be interested in establishing a boarding house/guest house for American women who want to come to Ghana.  There is already an organization of American women who are in Ghana and I wonder if that type of endeavor has been discussed!

Thank you for mentioning it!

Hello this is Zola again, have you moved to Ghana yet.  I was talking about starting a home for American women if I decided to move to Ghana.

Hello Zola! I actually thought a about this myself but establishing a place for Americans in general who visit Ghana. I haven't moved yet looking to move in a year. I think that would be a great business venture whether it be for woman or co-ed. It also gives a sense of security for expats.

I agree about the security, I thought about co-ed for extra security too, but I didn't know how both could live together.  I don't know when I might be moving, but I have this desire to do it.  My adopted son have one more year in high school and he has no desire to move to Africa.  I know I need to visit Ghana first, before anything is decided.  Let's keep in touch.  I use to live in California (3), different times - it's too busy for me.  I still have two brothers there. One in L.A. and the other in West Covina.  I also had one sister & brother who have died there too.  I live in Memphis, TN., but wishing too leave as soon as I get my son situation.  Let's keep in touch.  If it's Gods Will, I will get there.  I have associates that go to Ghana all the time.

Yes please keep in touch. I've been here two years and I'm not a fan at all. But my husband is an attorney here so that's why we are here but he would like to practice in Ghana.  Here's my info ***

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : personal contacts removed - please exchange in private
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thanks, this is my info ****

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : personal contacts removed - please exchange in private
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
myralparks wrote:

Yes please keep in touch. I've been here two years and I'm not a fan at all. But my husband is an attorney here so that's why we are here but he would like to practice in Ghana.  Here's my info

For security reasons please do not post personal conact details ere

Thanks for taking that info off.  I forgot, I thought we were talking in a private mail.

How did you get to Cairo, hat great. I am Africa-Amercian living in Washington DC, I want to travel also. What kind of job did find in Cairo and how did you get that job. ***

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, please do not post your personal contact/mails on the forum.

Good day:

I am currently seeking a new assignment.
  As my CV indicates, I have the technical background, professional experience and ability you are seeking to take each assignment given me from beginning to the end. 
  I have over 21 years of experience in project management. I have provided supervision and oversight of the development and management of engineer teams and the Implementation of quality managment
programs and regulatory auditing in more than 13 different countries Internationaly.While responsible for the delivery of engineering milestones and deliverable's . I have exceeded expectations of stake holders by executing projects undertime and under budget. I was also responsible for overseeing the complete Construction and Commissioning of the VAMC Renewable energy Portfolio. Totaling  $406 Million dollars of projects and Combined heating and powerplant Construction Project Management and Quality Control, Oil and Gas Electrical & power generation Field. I have performed in lead roles such as but not limited to Contracting officer and Instrumentation and Electrical Commissioning and Start-Up, Construction, Inspection,Technical Advising, and Consulting. I am also a US Army Veteran . I take great pride in completing each assignment which I am associated as if my reputation depends on it. Im looking for an Expat Role in Ghana.         

Owner's Project Manager

Hello, everyone. I am actively conducting a Global work search. I have lived and worked countires in [Africa ,Cape Town,Angola, Point Nuior Congo, Ghana,Malabo E,G,]Singapore [,Bunsan,Seol,Okpo,Goejie Korea] Spain,France,[Mainz, Bad Kirchner, Idar Obelstien Germany] Dubai. I have my resume available upon request. I would like to being working outside of the US on a Routational basis leading to Permanent Relocation. I wish that I could post my CV here as a word Doc. I am open to all Opportunities that will allow me to have a Familiy and to live a Financially sustainable and have a good work life balance. I am also open living and working to many countries in Asia and Europe and some in the Caribbean,South and Central America. Thanks for your support. Im currently residing in Texas and Im looking for a Better life. Im keeping my opinion open

Go to the jobs section at the top of this page and post your CV there. I would undertake a Google search for employment agencies that specialize in your type of work and contact them.

Thanks for you advise. Hopefully this site is helpfull. I have been trying to locate Full Expat package for years. I am open to many new emerging salaried opportunities and also many safe and stable economicaly stable countries Internationaly. I want opportunities that will allow thrive and grow . As proven professional  with my yrs of experience and Tenure that I have deserve a  true opportunity to retire and to be able to grow old in Good health. Im ready to act on my vision of living Internationally. I have worked in Angola,Malabo E G,Pourt Nuior Congo, Lagos Nigeria, Cape Town South Africa, OkPo and Goeji Korea,LasPalmas Spain and Singapore.