Living in Grenada Spain

hi everyone, im seeking advice on makeing the move to the grenada region of spain and setting up a b&b,with my husband and 3 children.

Are the schools good at intergrating english children?:sleep

Hi Kendra,

I cannot speak to Grenada exactly, but we just put our English speaking kids into the local school in the town we live in near Barcelona, and the experience has been generally good.

We chose a smaller school, but we also know a woman in a larger school, and we both had fairly positive experiences.  We waited a couple of months after we got there to enroll them, and in during that time we got them involved in a dance class held at the school, a sports group may work as well, but it let them get to know some of the kids and the lay out without the academic pressures. 

The kids were fantasticly friendly to my kids, within a week they were invited to friend's houses even though they spoke no language and the neighbourhood kids knocked on the door and asked them over. 

That said, the quality of the teacher will drastically impact on your ckild's experience.  Go figure.  My eldest had an excellent teacher and after two terms understood what was going on and was able to put up her hand and answer questions.  My younger child's experience was not as positive and her langauge skills reflect this.  They both got extra help from the special ed lady.

The level of English instruction is however, appalling so be prepared to homeschool them in reading, writting, grammar and spelling.  It will be absolutely necessary.

Good luck, we had fun.

Granada is close to the coast, where expats constitute up to 25% of population. There are English schools in area, as well.  There are expats in the Sierra de Grazalema between Granada and the coast, and in Granada as well, so you should not have any problem in finding an appropriate school for your kids needs.
Good luck and have fun.

hi i want to ask how is communication working i want to move to malaga and i am a little confused because my friend tell me that is really poor communication for English people and no one can speak english is that truth?? please write back thank you

A lot of people speak English but it might be that their English is very job focused and quite basic.  you will be able to communicate in English and its a really good idea to learn as much Spanish as you can and get lessons when you are here.  Sometimes people just get really fed up with foreigners who have no interest in their language.

Hope that helps!  And its a great language to learn...!

Fiona

I live on the costa del sol too and there are plenty of international schools around. i did choose to enrol my daughter to spanish school, not only as it saves a lot of costs also because i feel my daughter will benefit from integrating into spanish life. Schools in Spain are good and since we are bilingual at home (english/german) i think she can only benefit from the added language skills.

Hi everyone... I am from Granada and my girlfriend who is hungirian is planing to move with me from next septiember.. I was grown and born in this city so i dont really know how is to be a foreign here.. I would be happy to listen any opinions or some helps to make her easy her arrival... Does anyone know if there is any scolarship or help from the spanish goberment to learn spanish in Granada?? We are prettending to work in Sierra Nevada in the winter season so we not students at all..It is possible to get anyhelp??? Please post me back..xxx