Why we really left Boquete...

I will come to Panama as a retired expat and if I find anyone working illegally, taking away from the indigenous, I will report you and your imagined privilege. Reading some comments---people need to stay home until they learn respect for others.

i have been here 17 years married to a great panamnian lady with a good family outside of family and maybe 3 or 4 outside the family panamnians are not to be trusted ,, i have had mechanics look me in the face and lie lie lie ,, once i called one a liar  got right in his face he laughed at me my wife had to drag me away ,, i walked over picked up my 5 speed transmission off his work bench " untouched " put in the trunk of my car by my self and dared him to say a word ,, is typical of them is ok to lie and cheat you if they can .. that being said is still a great place to retire

You will find unscrupulous people anywhere.  Con artist are everywhere

Haha.........@brownsand  We shall see how you feel and what you say in about a year.....I will most likely be reading about it from Colombia or Ecuador........

@brownsand My understanding of Panama is that there is a lot of freedom and some corruption. As far as I understand, this idea of denunciation to authorities does not seem very much in the spirit of the country--I would be interested by views of people knowing the country really well, to confirm or not. Besides this particular example, this might show that your state of mind may not be aligned with Panama (although I understand your point of view, willing to help and defend the welcoming country), which could raise issues in other areas.

I don't know that area or city, Brownsand. I'd live in David over Panamá City but because the city's so congested. However, the city's better since you want beach. Are you interested in Bocas? That's the spot! Be sure to visit the San Blas Islands for ultimate beauty and beaches.

Brownsand, awesome, love it!!

wolfmanmike... uh... never mind

I need to be close to an int airport - but beach is a must

Isn't Cuernavaca in Mexico?

AuntiFlo hi,

I read your article and I am touched and feel for your guys. I will be setting up my YouTube channel offering advice regarding moving to Panama. Not legal advice but solid advice based upon my mistakes that I learned from. I'll be contacting Jordan & Kaylee with Nomadic Movement for their advice on setting up such a channel.

I like your attitude despite what happened. You guys are honest with a true heart and pressing forward.

-Douglas

Checkout: www.ourthirdlifepedasi.com

To Brownsand,

I could not agree with you more. 

Also some Expats coming to Panama give a bad name to the rest of us. This is due to their total lack of respect for themselves which then extends out to others (Panamanians). This group of Expats seem to think that everyone owes them and that everyone else is wrong.

The other point is that these Expats want everything NOW and they simply can't understand the phrase "Manana".  They are in such a rush.  Simply stated these people need to breath a little more, relax and learn to understand the culture. In conclusion, the country of Panama offers so much that if we simply learn to embrace the little things the rest will blossom/bloom like a flower.

Best regards, Douglas

Salvoconducto is a permission issued to people who need to be out and about for their work beyond what is allowed during the quarantine. No one knows if one will still be needed in October, or what the situation in general will be. All we know is that right now the borders are closed to everyone but citizens and residents, and it's difficult for even citizens to find a flight in. Travel around the country is also very restricted. Given that October is less that 2 months away, and Panama is being very slow and conservative about resuming normal activities, I'd definitely have a Plan B for your travel.

DiTa23. hi,

It looks like we will be trying to fly to Panama at the end of September or early/mid October 2020.

About the Salvo Conducto, moving within the country is only allowed with a special permit called Salvo Conducto. Individuals moving from home because of a rental/purchase of property should have documents to evidence this, such as a copy of the rental or purchase agreement, utility bills, receipts, etc.

DiTa23 if you are trying to obtain a Pensionado Visa in Panama here are a couple of tips!
1. Apply for your FBI Police Report online at www.fbi.gov, click on Identity History, click on Summary checks, click on Submit a request, scroll to Submit a Request and click on Step 1.

2.  Click on Step 1 and follow each prompt until completed. In a nut shell you will fill out your request online, pay the $18.00 fee for the FBI Police Report Identity History and then you will be directed to the US Post Office online where you will enter your mailing location and select a post office near you, where you will go to have that Post Office take your fingerprints. You will pay a $50.00 fee at the Post Office for taking your electronic fingerprints. Your fingerprints will then be scanned at the Post Office and when completed you will be given a reference code. Then you will receive a email from either the Post Office or the FBI and you will enter your code to complete the final process in placing the order for your FBI Police Report that will be run from your fingerprints. You will receive your FBI Police Report via email in about 12-36 hours.

3. Print about 2-3 copies of your new FBI Police Report.

4. Send me an email at [email protected] with your exact name as listed on the FBI Police Report. IE., I will then prepare for you a cover sheet titled: U.S DEPT of Justice - FBI Finger Print Statement. That statement is the page that you will sign exactly like your name listed on the FBI Finger Print Statement, and your Notary Public will sign and enter in their date that their commission expires and will stamp their Notary Seal on the cover sheet.  (make sure your name is correct and that you have a Notary Public notarize your documents not a Notary).

5. I will then forward you a cover sheet titled: U.S DEPT of Justice - FBI Finger Print Statement

6. You will then make two photo copies of the cover sheet and take with you along with your two copies of your FBI Police Reports to a Notary Public to be notarized. 

7. You will also need a proof of income letter from your retirement board stating how much money you will be receiving from retirement each month for the rest of your life. Make sure that the letter has contact information and is on official letter head of the retirement board etc.

8. In your email also list your full name as it is listed on your Retirement Income Letter and list the name of the Retirement Board and I will forward you an email with a Retirement Verification Statement that you can also take to the Notary Public. And remember to sign the same as listed on the Statement.

9. Make sure that your Notary Public uses and writes in the correct date that their Notary Public Commission expires.

10. Do an online search for The Secretary of State's Office in your state and give them a call getting a price quote on how much it will cost for them to issue an Apostille on each of your legal documents. Take the cover letters that have be signed by you and your Notary Public along with your legal documents and mail them to The Secretary of State's Office in your state along with a personal check to cover their fees.  Also include a letter size Manila Envelope  addressed to your mailing address with about $10.00 paid postage on the envelope.

11. You said that you are flying to Panama in October. If I were you I would do steps 1-10 during the last 2 - 2 1/2 weeks of September. This way you will have your Apostilled legal documents!

Best Regards,
Douglas

Dita23 hi,

Sure send me an email at:  [email protected]

Keep me posted ok!

This will be my 4th time reordering my FBI Police Report along with fingerprints, getting the coversheets notarized by a notary public and getting them Apositilled. What a learning experience it has been.

It will be all be worth it living in true paradise Panama!

No, none of that is needed for an exploratory trip.

If at some point you decide to apply for residency, then you will need a background check from the FBI which is done by sending your fingerprints for them to check against their database. Some have trouble getting clear, usable fingerprints and have to redo them, or the documents become outdated, or void because you left the country. I know it sounds complicated but if you decide to apply, a good lawyer and expats like Douglass can help you through the process.

But no, this is not a concern for the moment. No worries

Hi Anntie Florence,
I just read your post, and am so blown away by your experience.  I know this happened 7
Years ago, so I do not know if you will ever read my post, but I hope you do.  we came to
Panama in 2011 and bought a house in 2012.  we were not in a hurry, we're not even
Seriously looking though where we were living In penonome ??. EVERYONE had a property
For us to see, lol.  We were really not that busy then (since we bought our house, we have
Been BUSY, lol, and did not mind seeing more country being chauffeured around, however,
We made it VERY clear we wanted a house in the mtns, no where else.  Well it did not
Matter AT ALL, what our criteria was to the Panamanians they “just knew” we would fall
In love with their half built, have not, house in the desert, lol, NOT!!,
About your experience with the local, and your husband, not trusting, I can relate.  Us
Women do have to be careful.  About working in Panama, I believe if you have a “friendly
Nations visa, you can work.  If you have a jubulado ?. Pensonada  visa, I think you cannot.
But the Venezuelan's here, work under the table, from their home, or so all the time.

I have corresponded with someone living in David, from this site, (Hi, Kristy!!lol), and
From her blogs or texts, it appears the locals in David, are a bit more, industrialist,
Hard working?? Maybe even decent??., than closer to the city.  I have heard chiriqui,
People have a reputation of being less layback?  More the entrenpuer type?  and maybe
That is why your local was so aggressive??  Most panamians we know, don't really care,
If they work, or don't work!?? So if you have to cancel for whatever reason, and they will
Miss out on $25 or $40 pay, it's “so what”.  We struggle with consistency, and reasonable
Wages.  they seems to think automatically, white skin = flithy rich, and we actually fall
Under the proverty line, in Canada, lol.

For more info on Panama check out my wife's blog that she started before we moved to Panama 7 years ago.

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : Auto-promotion
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi, Douglas,
Are you a lawyer?  we are Canadians and want to get our pensionado status as soon
As possbile.  first we have to get back to Canada, our oct, 2nd air canada flight was cancelled
And so now waiting until like oct, 15th.  So, after 3 or 4 months we are returning with
Hopefully all the documentation needed from Canada to apply.  what is the stickler we
Need to be aware of in regardings to finger prints?
Thanks
Kathy

I think they should stay where they are ..

Drock wrote:

@brownsand My understanding of Panama is that there is a lot of freedom and some corruption. As far as I understand, this idea of denunciation to authorities does not seem very much in the spirit of the country--I would be interested by views of people knowing the country really well, to confirm or not. Besides this particular example, this might show that your state of mind may not be aligned with Panama (although I understand your point of view, willing to help and defend the welcoming country), which could raise issues in other areas.

You make me chuckle.

Kathy hi

12/13/2020

I hope all is well on your end.  No I'm not an Attorney but maybe in my next life.

In the US you first go the the FBI.gov website and fill out the online application for a Police Report and submit it to the FBI. Then I would opt to have your fingerprints done electronically by going online to USPS/US Postal Service. Once online you pay a $50.00 fee online and then you select a date and time and location of your nearest Post Office to have your fingerprints done electronically. You will be given a reference number which I would print and take with you. Once the Post Office takes your fingerprints electronically they will send them directly to the FBI. Within 5-8 days your FBI Police Report will be emailed to you.  On the other hand one could do this process by mail and you are looking at 8-15 weeks!  In Canada I am sure that they have the same online process with your National Police Agency.

Kathy also check with your Secretary of State in Canada to see if they want you to prepare a Notary form that you will need to type up, print and take to a Notary Public to be notarized and get the proper format/layout of the form.  Once this form is notarized then send it into your Secretary of State along with the Police Report to be Apostled.

In closing let me know how this goes.  Also I like helping other Expats and Panamanians by forwarding them reliable information.