Wifi or 3G, and which part to buy?

Hi gang,

I am getting ready to head back to Vietnam, and I would like to upgrade some of my poor network equipments.  But, what?  And which should I replace it with?

I currently have VNPT wifi at home.  But, I only use that on my desktop; I gave the wifi antenna (the part that has probes stick out, and I had to buy) away, when my cell phone was stolen.  As for wireless, I have Mobiphone.

Now, I have gotten myself a 4S smartphone and a macbook.  I was thinking about going all 3G, with Mobiphone.  But, what about my old-but-faithful desktop?  Can she go 3G, or which part should I add?  How much is that package now?

Or, I can upgrade my VNPT wifi equipments and all will be good.  But, which box can I or should I buy?  In the time that I was there, I must have gone through about 6 of those rectangular boxes that VNPT gave me and 3 of those that I had to buy, that had probes sticking out of them. 

I am currently in California.  I don't really want to go back to that again.  But, what should I choose and which part should I, or can I, replace to have a more up-to-date and trouble-free network system? 

Thanks for any tip,
Howie

VN has countrywide 3G coverage, and 4G for the pols in Ha Noi (only).

Really, WiFi equipment is cheaper here. I use TP-Link as the power output can be boostd with a software patch. If you can't patch always use  Singapore as the country of use as it increases the number of channels as well as the maximum, legal, power.

The FCC has just freed up a bunch of frequencies in the 5-gig range, so new US-bound equipment will be adapted for that very soon.

Avoid CISCO stuff, including LinkSys.

Dude
The cheapest way, subscription wise, is to go wifi.

- Cheapest for you is to get VNPT to give you another antenna, and you are all good to go.
- Next is to buy a new wireless router. It should connect to the VNPT modem (which I assume is a modem+router combo) via cabled ethernet then you can use wifi.

Buy it at Amazon. The top selling one there (Medialink - Wireless N Broadband Router - 150 Mbps - 2.4GHz - 802.11n w/ Internal Antenna) takes 100-240V (so do most others, read their spec) so you can use them out of the box without needing to buy a transformer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/el … e_1_4_last

- Otherwise, you can use your 4S as a router (called Wifi hotspot), then you don't need VNPT anymore, but you need to have a good 3G subscription.

- Most expensive and useless: each equipment has its own 3G subscription.

Jaitch wrote:

Generally agree with you regarding the older Linksys stuff - I had a Linksys router in the US that was always dropping out after heavy data use, and I would have to reboot it.

But I've got a Cisco E4200 wireless router here now, that I purchased stateside last year and brought back with me. (Price here was 50% higher than in the states.) Has been working great up to this point, and I abuse it with data streaming and downloading every day.

I've also had good luck with D-Link products. I've still got an old D-Link wireless router I purchased at Phong Vu over 6 years ago that's still working fine. I also upgraded the wireless card in one of my laptops with a D-Link USB N Band stick. Works great.

Howie, I would tend to take the advice of Jaitch and Anatta for what will work best for you here in Vietnam. My scope is a little more limited to the equipment you and I have discussed previously.

Jaitch wrote:

Chances are most people would avoid Cisco stuff for the home, it's designed for enterprise businesses. They currently dominate the market in this area.

You are aware that Cisco bought LinkSys to break into the domestic market, and this kit is not truly Cisco, it's just badged.

I'd guess that it didn't work out too well for them, given they are now in the process of selling it off again.

You can rent tadiwifi party wifi

I'm a little confused about your question.
How do you intend to get internet?
Aren't you going to get TV Cable with their box and wifi-router?