Employment guarantee TESOL course

Hi,

I came across a TESOL training school at this website avse.edu.vn/ that makes a bold claim of guaranteed employment. Seems hard to believe with the economy going south at this time & companies scaling down their operations & staff. Does anyone here have any experience with this school? Can the claim of guaranteed employment be trusted?

I can't say anything abt this course cuz I have no information. However, I myself attended a Tesol course offered by another institute (American Tesol Institute), they also guaranteed job opportunities but all the jobs offered are quite low-paid. So you should think carefully before making your mind.

Thanks for the reply cappuccino_Sg. When you say low pay, what is the rate per hour? If you are a foreigner, will the school that employs you also help you apply for visa & employment pass?

I'm not sure abt the rate for foreigners cuz all students there are vietnamese, and the jobs they offered are mostly from public school with 45.000VND/hour. But I'm pretty sure if you have TEFL and Tesol here, it's not difficult to find a teaching job.
ABout visa and employment pass, I'm gonna ask my foreign colleagues abt it and inform to you later.

45000VND per hour? That's about half of what students in my country get when they work in a fast food restaurant like KFC during their school holidays.

visothsumtw wrote:

45000VND per hour? That's about half of what students in my country get when they work in a fast food restaurant like KFC during their school holidays.

Bro, do not compare apple to orange. :rolleyes: I am sure with certs, you can get higher than that! ;)

noah83 wrote:
visothsumtw wrote:

Bro, do not compare apple to orange. :rolleyes: I am sure with certs, you can get higher than that! ;)

Thanks for the encouragement bro.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=223328

Are you a native speaker?

That depends on what's the definition of native speaker. If it means that my first language in English, then yes. I have been educated in English all my life & that is the language I have been using to speak to my family members. If it means being a white person, then no.

hELLnoi wrote:

visothsumtw wrote:

That depends on what's the definition of native speaker. If it means that my first language IS English, then yes. I have been educated in English all my life & that is the language I have been using to speak to my family members. If it means being a white person, then no.

hELLnoi wrote:

There is ONLY ONE definition of native speaker.
I can understand your disappointment since you were brought up purely in an English environment. You can test what I said by replying to the vacancies advertised for English tutors, even those which state URGENT!
Good luck.

visothsumtw wrote:

what is the rate per hour? If you are a foreigner, will the school that employs you also help you apply for visa & employment pass?

They are quoting $15ph  on their website. While that's low it's not unusual for new teachers. Be aware it's also on the outskirts of HCMC which may or may not be of concern.
Visa\WP etc all depend son the school, and what contract you get, part-time hours probably means no visa\wp. Some of the schools will expect you to pay for it and do all the leg work etc.
The better schools will process it for you. But the better schools require a degree as well as the teaching cert.

Hi, I can backup this claim by AVSE. I`ve known the owner of AVSE for 7 years & the school has had many satisfied TESOL course students that do receive a teaching job on the completion of the TESOL courseudents.I have met many of the students from all over the world & they are very satisfied with the outcome.

Guarantees of employment are as trust worthy as the air used to describe them.

Same with other job training ... only few ever work out in reality, either here in VN or elsewhere.

I just read some of the uninformed comments on your questions.
1/ Depending on the location of the job that is offered to you usually reflects the pay rate. eg- city rate is higher than the countryside rate. Country rate $10-$14, City rate- $15-$25.
These estimates are for people just starting to teach through to highly qualified & experienced teachers. Also general english teaching has a lower rate than corporate teaching.[ Business english ].
2/ Depending on the school where you teach will they organize your visa, work permit. It`s up to you to negotiate with them. Most schools will do this for you.
3/As far as a native teacher goes, in my experience if you are committed & dedicated to teaching english then you will have no problems with discrimination.

I hope this helps.

I like to hear from any non-Native or Indian descendant  English teachers in Vietnam!
There must be at least ONE in the whole of Vietnam.

Sounds interesting how much is the course fee for the TESOL program.

I've never got good marks in English classes should I still consider teaching English.

hey Guys,

I was reading through all the messages. I am Indian and I went through the TESOL training @ AVSE which you are talking about. So that makes me fit to all qualifications mentioned above.

Currently I am working as full time English Teacher. If your English skills are OK! and if you seriously work with curriculum prescribed by AVSE, then from my experience, the "Guarantee" is valid for every one.

If you want to talk to me. Just let me know.

josephtechie wrote:

hey Guys,

I was reading through all the messages. I am Indian and I went through the TESOL training @ AVSE which you are talking about. So that makes me fit to all qualifications mentioned above.

Currently I am working as full time English Teacher. If your English skills are OK! and if you seriously work with curriculum prescribed by AVSE, then from my experience, the "Guarantee" is valid for every one.

If you want to talk to me. Just let me know.

Thank you for coming forward. Yes I would like to talk with you.
1 Which school(s) are you teaching at the moment?
2 Please give me the telephone number of your school so that I can call you in your school.
3 How long have you been teaching in that school(s)?
4 What is the rate they are paying you and how much teaching time are you being paid?

There is a teacher running around HCMC covering 800 sq km in this blog trying to make ends meet.
I am not aware of any city or town in Vietnam called K.
Please excuse my prudence. Most people would tell you that you have to double check everything in Vietnam.
Thank you again for appearing to my call.

Closed