Hi i need an advice!!! :-)

hi everyone,
i am planning to move to Basel but reading the job ads i have noticed that swiss german is often required.I can speak german and english fluently and i am good at french do u think i will have any problems to get a job?
I am not sure i will understand swiss german,probably not so i am quite scared about it.
thank you in advance

Hi bipa,

welcome to Expat.com!

Hope you will receive some advices soon.

All the best,
Christine

Hi

I have never come across an add that required Swissgerman as a language. Usually one or two national languages are required. And Swissgerman is no national language. If you speak German fluently or Highgerman as it's often called in job adds your speaking abilities should not be the cause for not getting a job.

By the way... job adds in Switzerland are more like a wish list what the perfect person for the job should be like. But no employer really expects the applicants to fulfill all his requirements.

regards Manuel

hi manuel,
thank you for answering. It was a relief to read your answer,i have seen several ads where swiss german was required and i was wondering if they are flexible about it and i could work with Hochdeutsch.
Can't wait to move there it looks like the perfect place to me as i have studied foreign languages at university and with germany and france so close and all the english speakers who work there i am pretty sure i can use my language skills :)

As an additional advice: should you miss a requirement from a job-add, expect to be asked about that in the job interview. So you better prepare an colourful answer in which you explain how you will aspire to fulfill this requirement in the future. In your case for example: "I'm god with languages and I integrate good into a new team. So I hope that I will pick up some Swissgerman on the job quickly" ... and so forth.

I wish you good luck in your job hunt.

No, you dont need it but its good to learn it. I am having Swiss German lessons. Its great fun!