Preparing to relocate to Kampala

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are currently preparing to relocate from London to Kampala, aiming for arriving in April.  Now the Christmas period is out the way, we're starting to get very excited!

I'm relocating with my current employer - a major multinational company, though they have never had an employee working in Africa (outside of South Africa).

I am now getting deep into the discussions about what relocation support they will give me, though there are lots of questions from both sides given that a) I have never lived in Uganda, and b) my employer has never posted anyone in Uganda.

I wondered if there was anyone else who had experienced a similar situation?  What kind of support should I be asking for? Here's some ideas I've been looking at, but any further thoughts / suggestions that may be obvious once 'on the ground' would be hugely appreciated (especially on the 'security' and 'travel' aspects).

- Security  - is there anything in particular that I should ask for support with here? Are there any extra costs typically associated with property / personal security?

- Travel - I am considering asking to have the cost of a driver covered for 1(?) month whilst I work out routine travel arrangements.  How much might this cost?

- Temporary accommodation - how much would temporary business accommodation (if such a thing exists? or just a hotel?) cost whilst finding somewhere more permanent?  How long should I allow to find somewhere more permanent?

- Relocation travel costs (for both wife and I)
- Storage costs (for personal belongings left at home)
- Shipping costs (to bring out personal belongings)
- Visa costs / support
- Health insurance

Many thanks - any thoughts at all very much appreciated.

Hello rjm1982.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you'll find the answers to your questions soon.

In meantime, do not hesitate to browse the other threads on the Kampala forum.

Wish you a Happy New Year!

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi rjm
Welcome to Uganda.Uganda isnt as insecure as mosst people think but like any other destination there issues of insecurity on specific areas.
I am Kenyan  married to a scottish and we have been in Uganda for the last six years and I believe I can be able to assist you in one way or another.

Please email me for further infomation

Hello,
thanks for you concern, just like any other person would be for their life. fortunately, Uganda is safer than what most people think about it out there. Before 2012, some parts like the Northern and Western regions were partly insecure but I write now freedom is almost the order of the day!

I am a Ugandan by birth and stay there most of the time though traveled world wide and hope your stay will be the best ..beyond expectations!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy stay!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr Peter

Hi,
Uganda is a very beautiful country.If you have never lived in Africa, it is pretty difficult to cope with the challenges of living here, every thing is really manual and outdated, do not expect to find too much technology here.

Accommodation is pretty easy to find, i am a real estate agent,and that is what i do, find people like you, expatriates homes to live in.
Health Insurance is available, Visa process is oretty clear, ot as fast to process one, bse like i told you everything is manually done here.

Ivy

- Relocation travel costs (for both wife and I)
1500 USD each
- Storage costs (for personal belongings left at home)
Nothing as such but you can store at your own place.
A decent apartment 2 bedroom should cost u around 1500/ 2000 USD
- Shipping costs (to bring out personal belongings)
4500 USD a container
- Visa costs / support
800 USD for working visa  /12 months
- Health insurance
contact BUPA UK or AAR Uganda

hi rjm1982,

congs on representing your company in Uganda. apart from the traffic and potholes depending on the location you will choose to live in, everything else is pretty much fine. we are nice people and you will not fail to get by in our community. i assume ofcourse you will be working in kampala? any idea on where your offices will be based to give u a few suggestions of nice places for accomodation?

since you will be arriving with your wife i suggest u get a nice apartment or hotel. my boyfriend is a dutch expat and also the revenue manager for the sheraton kampala hotel so im sure he cd give u a good rate for the first few days as u settle in and look for a more permanent type of accomodation. i suggest u let ur company take care of your accomodation benefits and or transport but for the later, u can never fail to move around. there are lots of apartments fully furnished and unfurnished all over kampala so u will not fail to get a place to stay. for convenient locations i recommend u have about 1500- 2500 dollars per month as rent.

security wise everything is ok. just watch out when moving late nights and only take taxis. avoid bodas except if gotten from a boda stage.

cost of a driver will depend on whether ur company provides a car or if u use a private taxi cab. negotiable depending on distance to and fro work, home and other places.

depending on your contract, i say u can find a more permanent accomodation a week or 2 from the time you get here. i will help u with information of more accessible apartments were u can pick from. depends on whether u want an unfurnished house to put ur own property in.

inbox me for more details and i will introduce you to my boyfriend who will help u out with info on work permits, health insurance and anything else u need to know. just do not forget to take your antimalaria or yellow fever vaccine before u come to uganda. most expats carry malarone but there are so many ways to protect urself from getting malaria so dont worry.

hope u enjoy ur stay here. and have a blessed birthday in advance!!

Hi rjm1982, you're welcome to Uganda. Uganda is a very safe country but you will need personal security if you are living alone and or you might find accommodation with security already there.

[Moderated: no free ads pls]

Wish you a nice time in Uganda.

Abraham.

ooooooooooooh yeah, am in kampala too. it will be great to meet you, hit ur email adress in my inbox. thanks

Hi there

Lucky you - you will love life in Uganda!

I came here from London in 2009. You might enjoy my blog Diary of a Muzungu

A bit more info:
- Security  - include the cost of 1 or 2 staff and possibly dogs. Day time house girl and night guard. I'm on a low salary and I still have these. Allow monthly minimum of $200 / $500 (depending on perks + what you feed your dogs!)
I have an excellent dog trainer friend who can find/train pooches.

- Travel - v good ideas to get driver to start with.

- Temporary accommodation - lots of us work from home.

- Visa costs / support - visa can be as much as $1500 pa. depends what you're doing but employer shd cover this. Visa can be a pain in the proverbial and can take forever. Make sure you have yr letter of appointment when you get to Entebbe Airport.
- Health insurance - I wd recommend IAA at International Hospital.

Good luck! And feel free to msg me via my blog.

Thank you all so much for your replies - this has been really very helpful indeed!

We're now trying to work out visa options for my wife. My employer have said that they will be able to provide her with a spouse visa, but she will not be able to work on this. She is currently employed by a large NGO in London and is investigating some options through her employer, but in the event that they can't help we're trying to look at some independent options to enable her to work. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Or know of anyone else who has done something similar?

She's been offered some freelance consultancy work and think she can get a class G1 visa if she comes in first on a tourist or business visa. Does this sound right?

Also, just as a shout out, she's the coordinator of an international advocacy civil society coalition and has skills in lobbying, advocacy, communications, research and monitoring and evaluation. Do let me know if anyone has any tips or leads for anything in this area!

Many thanks again!
Rob

Sir, do not have a spec of doubt in your mind, if you are british, you have a job in Africa.
Please come and enjoy!!

Hi there, welcome to Uganda.I guess your have  started enjoying your stay. Have fun as family.
Thanks