Which area to live in Bali

Hi, Am moving to Bali on 15 jan and am house sitting in Sanur for a few weeks to begin with.  Then the hunt for something long term begins. Whilst I am 63 I am very young at heart and love going out to listen to music and have a dance etc.  So I am not sure if Sanur would be too quiet for me for long term.  However I am not sure I want to live in the hustle and bustle of Seminyak either.  I would consider further out say Canggu area but I can't ride a motorbike so a bit concerned that would make it a bit too far away from things.  Love to hear any recommendations of areas that may suit?

I enjoyed Ubud, is quiet enough and noisy enough. If looking for land or so around the area our guide had a few good locations, if interested his name is Wayan Dita.
I just pm you the contact details

Thank you for that.  I do like Ubud but am keen to stay closer to the beach.

When I was Looking I found Jimberan Nice up on the hill over looking ocean.

Matt

Thanks for that Matt but I think perhaps Jimbaran is a little too far out for me without transport.
Cheers
Marianna

I  looking also and know what you mean

What about batubelig? near from canggu and petitenget, also seminyak too...by the way if you havent found any villa to rent in that area please dont hesitate to contact me via email: [email protected] also via facebook: yogi inbali, I am also hope we can have a good friendship too.
Regards, Yogi Prathama

Hi  Yogi can you send some pictures please and price

Matt

Hi Yogi,
I have just spent a few days over that way and I don't think it is really where I want to be.  I am presently housesitting in Sanur and will spend the next weeks looking around here and getting a feel for this area and maybe I will find something suitable.  Any suggestions are always appreciated.
Marianna

If Sanur is too quiet for you and Seminyak is too busy, I can't think of anywhere on Bali that might be better…AND very close by to decent beaches.

You can be at any of the various beaches in Gianyar in about a thirty minute ride from Ubud.  There are some pretty nice (and not well publicized) beaches in Gianyar. 

To improve your mobility you might also want to think about a long term rental of a small car or Jimmy.  If you stay here long enough and get a KITAS (residency) visa, you can purchase and register a car in your own name.  Self driving is a bit risky (the tamu is always at fault in any accident) so you could also consider hiring a full time driver.

I will have to look up that area

I have left the country for Bali,  I am 76, recently divorced, retired professor. I have been 30 years in New Smyrna Beach FL with my now X-wife. I have good character: a retired professor at leading universities with degrees from the University of Chicago (BA), Harvard (Ed M), FSU (PhD). He has been a high level federal employee with security clearances.
I am the only native born American Anarchist. When I was born (of American Parents = native born) in Barcelona which was at the time the Generaldad de Catalona - run by syndicalist (See Homage to Catalona by Orwell) My parents were documents journalist. Irving Peter Pflaum, was bureau chief in Madrid during the Spanish Civil War

Hi there,
Thanks for that.  I have decided on Sanur and have found a lovely villa near everything.  Yes it is a little too quiet but nice during the week and will head over to Seminyak when I want a bit more nightlife......hopefully that will work for me.
Cheers
Marianna

hello
im goinf to bali in couple of weeks and would like to know which area is better to have fun with dancing party people and nice beaches thanks

if you could give me the contacts of this man who guide you there Wayan Dita

thank you

Be sure to keep in mind that Ukrainian citizens are not allowed to enter Indonesia on a 30 day VOA…rather, they must obtain a visit visa in advance at an Indonesian embassy or consulate prior to arrival.  If you're traveling on a Russian passport, then there will be no problem.

Places that you'll most likely enjoy are Kuta, Legian and Seminyak in southern Bali.

ok cool
i already start arrange visa
what about place Gili Trawangan?coz most of my days i wanna spend there

and by the way where is the place where is not a lot of russian though?)

My name is Peter Edward Pflaum, born October 31, 1936 in Barcelona Spain of American parents. My passport number is  468250524 issued by the Department of State in Washington DC on 28 March 2010 and expires on 27 March 2020.

I am 77 years old a retired professor with  a BA from University of Chicago, EdM from Harvard and PhD in government  from Florida State University. I was divorced after 30 years of marriage  in December 2012 and have a settlement of  $1200 a month on common property (a $500,000 house in New Smyrna Beach Florida) and Social Security of $800 so a income of about $2,000 to live on and decided on Bali. I came to Bali  January 17 and have stayed at the Holiday Villa in Kuta email [email protected] for two weeks then at  Aditya in Lovina [email protected] now have booked Tradisi Amed [email protected] for several months. Feb 22nd until April 23 then Three Brothers bobby's next to the Cafe Amed.

Amed is good -

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g608478-d3568694-Reviews-Three_Brothers_Villas_Amed_Bobby_s_

I have taken a very nice Villa at Bobby's for May. (and will stay in June etc) It is $950 9,785,000 Idr or $32 a day with breakfast and pool, beach, and has a loft wth two nice beds
tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g608478-d3568694-Reviews-Three_Brothers_Villas_Amed_Bobby_s_

I have taken a very nice Villa at Bobby's for May. (and will stay in June etc) It is $950 9,785,000 Idr or $32 a day with breakfast and pool, beach, and has a loft wth two nice beds

booking.com/hotel/id/three-brothers-bobby-s-villas.en-gb.html?aid=342443;label=amed-%2AlJ

booking.com/hotel/id/three-brothers-bobby-s-villas.en-gb.html?aid=342443;label=amed-%2AlJ

Jennadelarossa asks,

“What about place Gili Trawangan?coz most of my days i wanna spend there and by the way where is the place where is not a lot of russian though?)”

The only expats that I'm aware of living on Gili T are those who have partnership businesses there.  I'm not aware of any long term housing being available there, and frankly, I think you'd go stir crazy if you found a way to actually live on Gili T.  Also, full time living on Gili T would be considerably more expensive than on the north west coast of “mainland” Lombok. 

On Bali it seems that the Russian contingency has found their niche in Lovina and west of Lovina along the northern coast of Bali…and Nusa Dua.  I hear reports all the time about their behavior in Nusa Dua…but you likely already know what I'm getting at!  ;<)

Many beautiful place to live in Bali
I'm recommend like Kuta, Seminyak, Ubud which has already known great on this island

Rizky, it's pretty obvious that while you are an Indonesian, I find it doubtful that you are Balinese.

IMHO, Kuta is the LAST place on Bali to suggest to anyone to live.  In fact, even the Balinese have abdicated Kuta, both in fact, and in their minds. 

There is nothing Balinese about Kuta.

Seminyak on the other hand is a rather recent development, and for those foreign expats who insist on living in expatriate ghettos, it would be on the top of my list, along with Jimbaran.

cool guys thank you for your advices
i really love Bali and Gili islands
everything was amazing
for chill Gili islands are the best for party Kuta, definatly Kuta!

[advertisement is not allowed here]

http://www.overseasthinktankforindonesia.com/tag/kitas/

" Indonesia's immigration policies are based on outdated laws originally designed to protect Indonesia's  workers from job-stealing foreigners. In today's reality, the immigration system has been distorted into  a cash cow for those that manage it.
The real cost of this inability of the nation's civil service to reform itself is seen in the nation's  weak economic performance, by the lack of confidence of business to invest in wealth producing  industries – of which the ailing tourism sector is only one.
While today's immigration rules cost the nation billions of dollars in lost business, our near neighbors  earn cash windfalls from unwitting (and unwilling) visa-run tourists.”

The tour of Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia which was a look for alternatives may becomes an interesting  tourist trip August 20 to September 20.

After a 2 months visa from Singapore then I got a one month extension with three trips to the immigration  office until May 21st.
1. one trip to get papers and file and get your picture taken and finger prints taken
2. second trip to pay $25 fee
3. three to get stamp and passport back.

I got the 60 day visa in Singapore from Feb 22, I got a month until May 21, then Gede does it again for June 21, and  again until July 21 and again to August 20 the trip cost $30 and the fee of $25: = $25 x 4 = $100 plus 16 trips at $30 each = $480 = $580 not including three flights Bali to Singapore, and back and out again you have to have a ticket out to  come in, with costs = $1000.

A social six months visa:

With Bobby's help and help from his agent in Singapore I can maybe get a six month social visa for about  $160 plus costs;
​Dr. Peter E. Pflaum, GlobalVillages
[email protected]
Villas Amed (Bobby's Villas) [email protected]
Bali Jl. Raya Amed, Karangasem, 80361 Indonesia
in Amed Beach Jemeluk

Company Name:
MAJU TRAVEL SERVICE PTE LTD
Address:
60 Eu Tong Sen Street #01-16 Furama Hotel Shopping Centre Singapore 059804
Telephone: (65) 6533 1666 Fax: (65) 6535 6222
or
Address: Platinum Express Travel
7500A Beach Road
#09-313 The Plaza
Singapore 199591

I go to Vietnam Sept 4th SGN and have a hotel there until the  9th at the Signature Saigon Hotel . I am looking for a place to stay, long term. Two weeks in Vietnam.
The Island of Phu Quoc Island Hotels, Discount Hotels in Phuquoc Vietnam: Phu Quoc Resort looks nice, and cheap.

I have a small pension and want to find a nice place I can afford to live. Then on to Cambodia September 14th, Sihanoukville, Cambodia; two weeks in Cambodia
then to Singapore for the visa and finally return to Bali on September 22nd.

I left the country (USA) Jan 15 2013 for Bali,  I am 77,   recently divorced, a retired professor. I have been 30 years   in New Smyrna Beach FL with my now X-wife in a $500,000 house I paid for thus have a settlement. I have good character: a professor at leading universities with degrees from the University of Chicago (BA), Harvard (Ed M), FSU (PhD). I have been a high level federal employee   with security clearances.
For 20 Aug 2013,  The cost of moving to Thailand or Vietnam is less than the cost for agent and expenses plus endless paper work in Indonesia.

Peter, that article you link to is from 2008 and thus already 5 years old, and out of date.

There have been many changes to Indonesian immigration policy over that period, all of them streamlining the process and making it significantly easier to obtain visas to Indonesia. 

Moreover the entire premise of the article, that being that Indonesia's immigration policy is a hindrance to economic development, is pure hogwash, and that fact is easily supported with the explosion of foreign investment here in Indonesia over the past ten or so years. 

Given your personal situation, and I've mentioned this to you several times already, your best bet if you decided to stay in Indonesia is to pursue a retirement visa.  They are not expensive, and in essence they are a 5 year KITAS residency visa which does not require any "visa runs" out of country.

If you wanna stay in Bali, the best place in Ubud area. The village still green with glorioup paddy sorroumd.
Most  of the interesting thing to do and see are not in down town, but in the greater Ubud area. Ubud is not just about shopping and eating. There are temples, landscapes with wonderful view, activities like rafting and bicyicling, etc. The traveler also can walk to down town.

Ubud is the best for escape from your bussines activity in ynur country.  Ubud is the quiet place.

[advertisement is not allowed here]

Best Regards,

Alfian

No argument from me Julian, as I couldn't agree more! :)

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : ad
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Do you still have a home for rent? Wont be there until April. If so could you send prices and pics? Thank you. ***

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : For your own safety please avoid sharing your personal contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct