Book Studies

Guys,

who reads a book a week? I'd like to meet heavy readers (men only, no offense lovely ladies) and discuss books.

Insights and thoughs are welcomed

T

everyday i read books , but Arabic books..., :)

Hey,

I'm a big non-fiction book reader, love social sciences, psychology, anthroplogy etc...

What sort of genres did you have in mind? I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks
Darragh

I read a healthy mix of fiction and non fiction.

Darragh,

Most books I read are somehow related to History, Biographies and Economics

i have recently read Malik Safdar Hayat.real stories.

its an urdu writor

anaexpat wrote:

a book a week?

What stuff do you typically read?  What do you plan on reading in the near future?

I usually go for the "heavies."  Maybe one book every 3 wks.  And books like Moby Dick almost require discussion to digest what the he11 just happened.

Currently in a 19th c. Russian phase:  Gogol, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky.  (I'm 26% thru Bothers Karamozov, according to my Kindle.)

Also, I loves me some American lit., old and new:  Steinbeck, Hemingway, Jim Harrison, Salinger, David Foster Wallace, Franzen, et al.  That ilk.

Haven't delved into French (from Balzac to the essays of Montaigne) and Japanese yet, but I want to in the future.  Not sure about the Brits--most of the classics I've sampled what I've sampled seem too heavily weighted in cultural propriety, and lack economy of expression.

Just finished a stint of Christopher Hitchens' (R.I.P.) non-fiction, some Kafka, and Confessions of an Economic Hitman, by John Perkins.  Oh, and Of Human Bondage, by Somerset Maugham...an quik and ez read.

I can be spotted at a local Starbucks on Friday mornings.  Also a newbie chess player--enthusiastic, albeit untalented.  Both endeavors are great for some mental gymnastics; especially handy when half-trapped in a cultural prison.

Cheers,

B.

P.S., A guy who lists "ice fishing" as one of his interests, can't be all that bad.

anaexpat wrote:

Most books I read are somehow related to History, Biographies and Economics

Just noticed your earlier response.  I like those too--sans the Economics;  too much of that in college.  Any particular titles in mind for those genres?

I read 3 by Sarah Vowell last year.  Funny, intelligent, and informative.

I like David McCullough's style too, but not so much James Michener.

Christopher hitchens is certainly one of my favourite authors, how ironic (a word he loved) would it be to discuss his writings in this conservative country??!

From reading the above posts, i think something non-fiction that connects with literature would be a nice compromise, which is why Hitchens is good as he continually cites English literature as a means of illuminating his points.

would anyone have any suggestions of books we could read and then meet up to discuss?

dmccashin wrote:

compromise

I too share Hitch's love for irony...and language...and Scotch!

Thomas Jefferson: Author of America or Why Orwell Matters might be nice compromises.  I've not read them, but fully intend to.

I am reading one of Christopher Hitchens' books now.  :)

How about any cocktail of his works?

I mean if you look at the compilation 'Arguably', there's ample stuff to discuss there. Or, indeed, any of his longer articles for vanity fair, most available online. His memoirs, hitch22 or his final haunting publication 'Mortality', would nicely fuel any discussion

big fan of Christopher Hitchens myself :)

guys let's set a day/time over a Starbucks ?

well im flexibile, i work the standard week.

im based at sitteen riyadh, is that close? (Sorry i've no idea of the geography of riyadh yet!)

anaexpat wrote:

big fan of Christopher Hitchens myself :)

guys let's set a day/time over a Starbucks ?

Well, what the hell...why not?

Early Friday, or Friday afternoon?  I'm flexible ("That's what she said") on both time and location.  Below is just a suggestion.

Location: https://plus.google.com/107920395882086 … bout?hl=en

Hours:
Saturday 6:00 am – 11:30 pm
Sunday 6:00 am – 11:30 pm
Monday 6:00 am – 11:30 pm
Tuesday 6:00 am – 11:30 pm
Wednesday 6:00 am – 11:30 pm
Thursday 6:00 am – 11:30 pm
Friday 6:00–10:30 am 1:00–11:30 pm

Directly across the street is Assaraya Turkish Restaurant;  best shawarma I've found in town.  A block west of it is a diner-type sit-down place too--it has the word "Broast" in the front window (facade is chrome with blue/white stripes and a black/yellow awning).  Both are cheap and good...in case someone wants to eat afterwards.  Also, a nice bulk coffee/spice/nut shop next door to that--excellent California almonds.

It's more difficult to park on the main street--better to park on the side street on the east side of Starbucks.

yes, friday is good for me.

i just have to check one other thing, and i will post my confirmation tomorrow at some point. im 99% certain i'm good to go.

let the hitch-slapping commence!

dmccashin wrote:

yes, friday is good for me.

let the hitch-slapping commence!

I'm slightly wary about getting too heavy into his politics--we may end up getting deported.  ;)

Morning or afternoon?  They close for a 2-1/2 hour window in between.

Viva la Hitch!

so yeah, i'm good for friday afternoon at some point?

I am in Fri afternoon after Asr prayer.
the place across the street from Assaraya restaurant is good

T

anaexpat wrote:

the place across the street from Assaraya restaurant is good

T

That's my fav restaurant in Riyadh.  Try the 1/2 roasted chicken--it literally melts in your mouth.  I've never had chicken as good.  Seriously!

anaexpat wrote:

T

Ditto.

Great.

So light-hearted (and quiet) Hitch discussion it is, around 3.40pm Friday.....

See ye there! I'll be the young looking irish guy with glasses :)

Maybe I'll be there in disguise, stalking you guys :cool:

I live 2 blocks down the road :)

anaexpat wrote:

I live 2 blocks down the road :)

Is that an invitation to stalk you home? :lol:

Nah, invite to stop by for tea of coffee after divouring that half chicken :)

dmccashin wrote:

I'll be the young looking irish guy with glasses :)

I'll be the old Cuban woman with disheveled hair, smoking a cigar.

GreatLaker wrote:

I'll be the old Cuban woman with disheveled hair, smoking a cigar.

That's okay--just be sure to wear your abaya :top:

houstonian wrote:

Which one?  How is/was it?

guys
i hate to do this, i might be a bit late, last min changes. I'll do my best to be on time tho

anaexpat wrote:

guys
i hate to do this, i might be a bit late, last min changes. I'll do my best to be on time tho

You bailed on us, man!  It's copacetic though.

Good conversation--intriguing, but without excessive erudition or pomp.

Cheers.

P.S.,  That Starbucks franchise continually disappoints.  It's unfortunate;  such a nice location.

GreatLaker wrote:
houstonian wrote:

Which one?  How is/was it?

Not sure if I will get in trouble for typing out the title.  Lol

But it is the one about not being great.  Lol  I am actually enjoying the read - my first foray into reading his books so will definitely check out his other ones.

I didn't have anyone to stalk :(

Greatlaker and I had a lively and engaging evening! Thankfully, he didn't lose hope after everyone else bailed (?!), and I was late due to a dodgey taximan....

Next time, you're either in or out ;)

Viva la Hitch

houstonian wrote:

the one about not being great

Haha!  I love the irony of our paranoia, considering the subject.

Yes.  That book is excellent.  In fact, it was the first book of his that I bought/read.  It was my intro to Hitch, peace be upon him.

umm...I Fantasy and sci-fi anyone? I read fantasy and sci-fi a LOT and maybe nothing else..?
My favorite series/books:
1. Wheel of Time series
2. A Song of Ice and Fire series
3. Dresden Files series
4. Codex Alera series
5. Mistborn series

omg......too many series up there LOL