Going to Indonesia for the first time... help with visa pls?!

Hi, I am from the states and have never been to Indonesia. What is the longest entry visa I can get for Indonesia, how much does it cost, and where do I go to get it? Does Indonesia have landing visas/visas on arrival like Vietnam?

Also, if I want to stay in Indonesia, how can I continue to do so and how much does the visa cost?

Any information on this would be most appreciated! :-)
Cora Maya

Tourist visa is 30 days, the cost escapes me at the moment but it wasn't much.
This can be extended for a further 30 days at any immigration office for the same fee.

The tourist visa is $25 USD. Paid when you enter the country. You can apply for longer stay outside the country at the nearest Indonesian Embassy to you.
If you extend another 30 days whilst in country you cannot extend again and will have to leave and re-enter the country to restart the process all over again.

Ok but if someone wants to stay years or even move there... Doable?

In reality there are two types of tourist visas...the visa on arrival which is good for 30 days and renewable here in country just once, and for 30 days.  The other tourist visa is a 60 day visa and this has to be obtained in advance of arrival at the closest Indonesian Embassy or Consulate where you reside. This is also renewable here in country at any Indonesian immigration office up to four times, each time being good for 30 days. That visa will allow for a stay of exactly 180 days total in country.

Ok so how are expats living in Indonesia?

That of course depends on the expat. 

For example, those who are employed or have their own business are likely to be on a KITAS or KITAP residency visa (and work permit) or possibly on multiple entry business visas which allows for certain specific business activity.  Those 55 or over can apply for a 5 year retirement KITAS which allows their residency (without work) for a five year stay before having to leave the country.  Others who are living on savings or prior investments may opt for the 180 day visa approach and leave the country for those famed “visa runs” to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur or Bangkok.  Unquestionably, some take advantage of the 180 day approach and work “under the table” to avoid the expense of a work permit which runs $1,200 a year, but they are breaking the law and if caught they can face stiff penalties, internment in the immigration lock down and almost certain deportation.   

The vast majority of first timers to Indonesia who aren't certain of their long term plans living in Indonesia will come on the 180 day visa approach, viz the 60 day visa renewable up to a 180 day stay.  Then they take a quick visa run and the process starts all over again. 

A further complication to this whole visa issue stems from exactly where in Indonesia one is going to be spending their time.  While one would think that there is total consistency between all Indonesian immigration offices throughout Indonesia, this is hardly the case.  This inconsistency accounts for the great deal of conflicting visa related stories one can read on various blogs and forums.   

A good web site that covers many details of the various types of visas and what's involved in obtaining them can be found here:

http://www.expat.or.id/info/docs.html

If you've never lived in Indonesia before and you're not coming here under an employment contract, your best course is to initially come over on a pre-obtained 60 day visit visa which with the extensions will allow you to stay in country for up to 180 days before having to take a visa run, or simply leave.   This will give you plenty of time to investigate your options as well as to explore Indonesia looking for the best niche that most suits you.  Once in that situation you are best off to employ the services of a licensed visa agent to pursue residency visas (KITAS) for you.

Hi,welcome

Hi,

Like Ubudian said there are a few visas available. I am not 100% sure about the US requirements but for myself I needed to apply for a limited stay visa. This requires a sponsorship from a business entity within Indonesia and is only valid for 1 year.
Had to apply for a KITAS from Indonesia. Once I recieved this I needed to take this to the embassy within my country to apply for a limited stay visa. Apparently the KITAS was only a permission to allow me to apply for the visa. The limited stay visa can then be renewed on a yearly basis as you require.

The other visas available are usually for a shorter period but I am not 100% sure about their conditions. In reality you should be asking the company you wish to work for to help organise this for you as the majority of the paper work is in Bahasa.

Hope that helps!

"I am not 100% sure about the US requirements"

There are no special requirements for US citizens coming to Indonesia, either by the US or Indonesian governments. 

To put it mildly, Barry, aka President Obama, is VERY well loved by the Indonesian people.