PLEASE is there anyone who could help me? :-)

Hi,
iŽm planning to move with my family-four kids and husband :-) to Malta.But iŽm definitely lost.Can you give me advice where is the best place to live according to medical help, good schools primary and secondary for my children?Ad is there also pretty nature?
I have been thinking about Valletta, Birkirkara or Marscala, but then i hinted to St.Pauls Bay and island Gozo and i donŽt know anything about living there.
I would be appreciate for every thing you can advice me or tell.
Best regards and happy New year:)
Monica

I could not really advise you as your questions are so wide ranging.
I would ask, why are you moving to Malta yet know so little?
Sorry, I do not mean to be unkind.
You really need to do your research.
Gozo is quiet and green. Parts of Malta are very heavily developed and become inundated with tourists.
Use Google maps with satellite view, look up Malta and Gozo on Wikipedia and search and search. It is not necessarily easy to move to Malta there are many things to consider, I suggest you use this website as many of your questions may be answered by looking at previous topics. Good luck.

Hi Monica,

Why dont you let us know a little more and we can suggest and recommend? Start off with stuff like whether you need to commute somewhere and how frequently, will the kids to to private or state school, whether you have any likes or dislikes, whether you mind spending time commuting etc etc etc.

regards,

Joe

Hi Joe,
sorry i didnŽt tell it clearly.We are normal family who loves culture, movies and shopping.In fact im not sure I would be able to stay in country, which is only green and nice, but for every bigger shopping of food, dress etc, i should go for hours.I have been reading about Malta very much, the reason why i canŽt decide is, that the whole Malta is different, everywhere is something what fascinates me at all.We have four children and they should go to state schools I guess.In country we live now, we have money enough to be in high class of people.
thank much for your time.
Monica

Hi Monica,
I can't reply to you. To immigrate in a new country, you need to know why this country, why to leave, what to do there, do I have chances to succeed.
With a car, Malta is like a big city, you can go everywhere quickly.

From what you're saying, it seems that every country in Europe could meet your criteria.

Dear John,
thank you a lot for your response.The reason why i wanna live in Malta is simple, this country fascinated me.Here where we are now we are not satisfied and want to change lifes and of course, we are young, even under thirty :-) so why not? :-)We have been thinking about Birkirkara, it seems like a big town with everything but i suppossed that its far from sea.Another place Valletta it was told me thats more historical town with lots of tourists every year.And then villages like Marsaxlokk or St.Paul Bay etc looks wonderfully for nature, sea and slow living there, but is there place for family with children?When they will be ill, have fever, need go to school?
Anyway, i appreciate every thing from you who knows Malta and thank you for that.
Best regards,
Monica

Hi Monica,

welcome to the forum.

The most important question in Malta for foreigners is whether you have enough money to live off or whether you need to work to live on the island.

If you have to work , do you already have jobs waiting for you here and/or what kind of work will you be looking for?

The average salary in CZK is probably slightly higher than in Malta but there are very big differences. Jobs in IT,Banking/Finance and e-Gaming pay nicely and usually don't require speaking Maltese. Many others struggle to make ends meet , even without family.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,
we donŽt need work in Malta and we donŽt even plan it. My husband has own IT business home work with monthly payment.The things im looking for is shopping and health care in Malta.IŽm studying Gozo Island and really love it, i even have found there is shopping centre, general hospital etc but i have to ask you for advice-is there any office also?For normal things.
best regards,
Monica

Hi Monica, we have moved to Malta from Prague, Czech Republic in November. We are not Czech but lived there for over 8 years, so I can compare. The salaries are lower or similar here  than in Czech Republic, of course if you have special skills or expertise than it is a different story. Also in some sectors the knowledge of Maltese is necessary, of  course if you do not have to work for living then English is enough for everyday life.
If you want to send your children to state schools the language is going to be Maltese, only private schools teach in English only. Local schools are everywhere, but if you want to send them  to private school then have to take their location into consideration.
Good luck

Evi

Hi Evi,
thank you so much with your help!I thought that in Malta every schools learn in english, this is for me new thing and i really doubt if my children, good-speaking Czech and English, will understand:/Where do you live in Malta?:)I have been thinking about Birkirkara, Valletta or Gozo;)
Monica

Hi Monica,

as you don't have to work you have one problem less ! But an important one.

I have to agree with Evi, the official language in Malta is Maltese , English is a second language and not always spoken !

I was surprised a few days ago when I met the boyfriend of the daughter of a very good Maltese friend. He hardly spoke English and he was a young guy!

Private schools are fine and usually teach most classes in English as they have many foreign students but they charge school fees.

Public schools can be very problematic with the language.

And to be honest , whether Gozo is green or not , will not make your kids happy. It is a quiet , cut-off island next to Malta. Your kids would have to travel a lot and probably be very unhappy. And if you stay longer their chances for a job there and a life on Gozo might not be what they are looking at as a future. It is like living near the Polish border - just a lot warmer -)))

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,
thank you ;-) IŽm really suprised, in every state school learns only in maltese?I have thought Malta is European state and also talks in english a lot.Thank you for your comments up to Gozo, its good to know this situations from someone who live there, it really helped:)So im now choosing between Sliema, Valletta or Birkirkara but it will depends on how we feel there, about nature, local things etc.
Happy new year,
Monica

Hi Monica,

we live in Gzira, not a very upscale location:), but very close for my partner's work. He can walk there and it was very important for us. Also here are some playgrounds for the children and couple of nice nurseries.
Before we moved  I really wanted to live in Valletta, but soon had to realize that it just would not work with small children. Very touristy, actually only couple of thousand people live there permanently. The places we have seen (at least in our price range) were not very child friendly (narrow with lots of stairs, etc)

I do not want to use a car so countryside never was an option for us. Right now (if money would not  problem) I would like to live in a colonial villa in Ta xbiex:)

evi

Yes Gozo is quiet and children, especially older ones, probably would find it boring on a day to day basis.
For shopping you want Sliema, with easy access to Valletta, I guess.
I would also think that as you depend upon your husband's IT at home work that priority is given to findin a property with excellent internet access.

Hi Evi,
your comments are for me the most important because you have children as me so i think you know what you say about.I know that everyone could tell me-read about Malta and find it yourself, but to be honest, its not so easy, so iŽm grateful for every little advice from anyone :-)
The things you said about Valletta suprised me also, so im really thinking about it.IŽve been told that in local /state schools in Malta teaches in Maltese, is it true?So if i would like to be my children teached in English, send thme to private schools?
You meant Ta xbiex village, can i ask you why?IŽm looking on map, itŽs close to Sliema as i see but i doubt if its not too small for ordinary living(enough schools, hospitals, doctors, shopping centres etc).Were you been in Birkirkara also?I think that we will have to travel to Malta without our children for about week less and look detaily.IŽm now suprised when im looking on map, i have found that from Ta xbiex is it only 9 minutes to Birkirkara with used car?Is it possible ever?Malta is so small, that it doesnt matter where we will live when we will use car?
Happy New year to your family! :-)
Monica

pevi wrote:

Hi Monica,

we live in Gzira, not a very upscale location:), but very close for my partner's work. He can walk there and it was very important for us. Also here are some playgrounds for the children and couple of nice nurseries.
Before we moved  I really wanted to live in Valletta, but soon had to realize that it just would not work with small children. Very touristy, actually only couple of thousand people live there permanently. The places we have seen (at least in our price range) were not very child friendly (narrow with lots of stairs, etc)

I do not want to use a car so countryside never was an option for us. Right now (if money would not  problem) I would like to live in a colonial villa in Ta xbiex:)

evi

Hi Monica,

I have sent you a private message. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Happy new year.

Evi

Hi Evi,
thank you, i have been responding you yet.
Nice evening,
Monica

pevi wrote:

Hi Monica,

I have sent you a private message. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Happy new year.

Evi

Hi Monica,
I'm not sure if I've understood your posts correctly, so if not, please excuse me.

It seems one thing that's important to you is shopping. It would be helpful to know if you mean big shopping outlets like you get in most countries, because for the most part, you won't find that in Malta or Gozo. They are extremely small and whilst there is Tigne Point in Malta and a largish store in Gozo (can't remember the name), they are certainly not on par with big cities across Europe.

On the other hand, if you want somewhere that is safe for your kids, good standard of Education and Health Care, Malta is a great place.  I've been here for 6 years, originally from South Africa and then UK. I have 3 kids and am very happy here in general.  My kids all go to private schools, for which the costs vary, but you can expect to pay 450 per term for pre-school and around 1000 for higher junior.  I'm not sure after that, as my eldest is only 8.  My younger 2 were born here in the govt. hospital and although I have  private healthcare, for much of the kid related stuff, the govt. hospital has better facilities and I've always had excellent health service.
There are many times I have gotten extremely frustrated here, due to a general lower standard of customer care and service in general, in shops and utility (building, electrical stuff, etc) and I do find it too small on occasion and very definitely lacking in greenery and animal life, but that's only in comparison to how I grew up and every country has its own idiosyncrasies. So overall, it's still a great place.
I have friends I met on this forum who moved across here from Czech and they have settled well. Their kids are in private schools, but have adapted well in English, although not having used it before.  Depending on the ages of your kids, you will most likely find that they adapt well, regardless of whether it is in Maltese or English.
Still, it's a BIG move to make with a family and requires a lot of adapting, so I wouldn't make the decision without coming across here first and seeing it for yourself, especially mid summer, as the heat can definitely take some getting used to.  It's also very expensive in terms of general goods, as they are all imported, which results in an increased price on everything.
Being a catholic country, religion is important here and this can also be hard to adapt to if you don't follow the same beliefs.
I hope this helps and that I haven't come across as negative, as we are really happy here, but I just think that you should make yourself very aware of day to day living here before making such a big move.

What about thinking of home schooling your kids ??? Sorry but noticed you mentioned not needing to work so that provides some time possibly to consider it.

Hi PEPro,

Home schooling is not allowed in Malta and in most of Europe and would cause major problems if you attempted it !

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Home schooling is not allowed in Malta and in most of Europe and would cause major problems if you attempted it !

Cheers
Ricky

I never heard such a thing but will remember that for future. Sorry this is a feasible option in the United States and still with regulations like children have to pass exams, a certain curriculum is required, etc. ( no kid of my own but I knew one a friend who taught her daughter privately )

Thanks, Ricky.

ricky wrote:

Cheers
Ricky

There are around 19 European countries that allow home schooling,so its not that unusual.
However Malta is not one of them!

Terry

tearnet wrote:

There are around 19 European countries that allow home schooling,so its not that unusual.
However Malta is not one of them!

Terry

Thanks for the extra information Terry because I was really curious how the European Union could be so diverse and not one have something similar to the United States in home schooling education. ( always assumed this was global - one thing I do wonder is who decides I need to teach a kid what, for example ... maybe I prefer to teach a child science but not SO MUCH history except this would be illegal I think )

Most of the countries that allow home schooling have a system that requires the child to reach certain standards either based on the state schools or are tested in some way (exams etc).

Terry

I'll tell you one thing it is not very well monitored in England!!
In fact some schools use this as a way to get rid of 'problem' children and thus the children become even more disadvantaged.
Instead of providing what the child needs are and how bets to help the child learn.

I have been in Malta for 2 weeks. Just now , for Christmas! Partly I like it , because like you I was fascinated by their culture, historical buildings etc.
But I have to agree that Malta is wonderful during the summer time because of de Mediteranean sea and nice weather. Apart of Popeye's village I couldn't find any other attractions for my 13 years old daughter. She is not a shopping person , and the only parks with something were very small and quite poor. More like for little children (3-5 years old )
Green? Forget it ...just in Gozo but as someone said you have to travel to Malta island for other things(shopping, entertainment)
When I came back I have same thoughts as you to move there being under the magic of Malta.
A friend of me who has a 5 years old daughter told me that was quite hard to find a good school for her daughter. Also the educational system is different and every few years they have to change schools. And she's talking from experience because she live in Malta more than 10 years.
I did ask my daughter what she think about that place. Her answer was very clearly to me : I hope you don't think to move here , because I find it very boring.
So if I want to move there I have to wait until she is old enough to take care of herself.lol

How is your life standard? Guess quite high and probably posh . Take in consideration that their houses are made by stones , they don't have warming system . So, you have to buy a heater. Because of their weather most of houses are moist inside which can cause mould. Think wise and take good decision and don't change the life of your family just because you like shopping in Malta.
Did you ask your husband , your children what they think about your dream? Do they agree?