Hi every body , I will be in Hanoi next March

Hi
I am from Egypt . I am planning to travel to Hanoi Next March . I need to know more about people's customs in Veitnam . tell me about things have to be avoided , places to go , night life there , how to deal with people there , women .... etc

Thanks for your help

I am Hanoian, there are so many things for you to see in Hanoi, for ex: Literature temple (it is considered the first university of Vietnam), Water puppet in Dinh Tien Hoang Str (right in the center of Hanoi)- a kind of art reflect the agriculture culture, some very old and ancient houses in the old quarter also worth to see like the one in Ma May str (87 Ma May), or Ngoc Son temple where there is a very big turtle there, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum or some beatiful museum (Woman museum and ethnic minority museum)...

Night life is quite busy in the old quarter where you can enjoy the food on the pavement or drink ( i think it's the best way to enjoy Hanoi food or delicious and authentic vietnam cuisine and experience night life in Hanoi)

Things to avoided is be careful with some venders if they are too frriendly or too enthusiastic to take some picture with you or give you their things to take a picture as they will ask you for money later. I have know ideal if this is still exist in the center of Hanoi but i had heard about it sometimes.

Hi Marsy,

Welcome you to Hanoi, Vietnam in next March!

As Ngocgiang shared, you can visit some famous places she showed in Hanoi city center. But Hanoi is big now and many more destinations for visiting. Example you can go to Bat Trang Ceramic Vocational Village for collecting handmade souveriers or you can do by yourself. The bus number 47 go direct to there from Hanoi.

Van Phuc Pure Silk Vocational Village is interesting destination for buying handicraft, pants, dresses, shirts by 100% Pure Silk.

Co Loa Relic Area is in Dong Anh district and there are many buses to there from Hanoi old quater (Long Bien bus station) as bus 15, bus 17 or bus 43 (in Thong Nhat Park). You can find romantic history love My Chau-Trong Thuy in Coloa Relic.

I intend to move to Pakse, Laos in next month (February), but in March, if I still in Hanoi, I can take you around. Incase I leave Hanoi, you still can email to me for getting support information.

Hanoian is very friendly and warmly. So you don't worry. Before arrival, you should connect with some people who are living and working in Hanoi for supporting via email, ask them their mobilephone. Many people always ready to help you!

Hope you have a good vacation and tourist in Hanoi and around Vietnam.

Hanoi Travel Guide - Your destination overview of Hanoi, Vietnam

The pretty city of Hanoi is located in the north of Vietnam and is one of the main destinations for visitors to the country. Offering a mixture of Eastern, Colonial and French styles, Hanoi is a fascinating place to explore and there are plenty of good places to drink, shop and dine here.

Those on a tight budget will want to base themselves in the Old Quarter as most of Hanoi's budget accommodation can be found here as well as plenty of cheap places to eat. Visitors with more cash to splash will be able to choose from an excellent range of five-star hotels, most of which are located in the center of the city.

Full of attractions such as the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, the One Pillar Pagoda and the Hanoi Water Puppet Theater, it is easy to see why many tourists find it difficult to leave Hanoi.

Old Quarter area (Hoan Kiem + Ba Dinh district)
The Old Quarter features a number of buildings that date back more than 2,000 years such as St Joseph's Cathedral and Huyen Thien Pagoda. This is a good neighborhood for sightseeing and exploring on foot.

Hoan Kiem (Hoan Kiem District)
Meaning Lake of the Restored Sword, this district is situated around the large and lovely Hoan Kiem Lake, and a large number of Hanoi's most prominent attractions are located in Central Hanoi. Visitors can visit temples and museums in the daytime, before relaxing at Central Hanoi's theaters, restaurants and bars in the evening.

West Lake (Ho Tay - Ba Dinh district)
Located to the north of Hoan Kiem, West Lake is popular with expats as this district features some excellent restaurants and bars. There are also some interesting tourist attractions located here such as the Tran Quoc Pagoda and the Museum of Ethnology.

Ba Dinh District
Visitors who venture south of West Lake will find the neighborhood of Ba Dinh, which is Hanoi's old French administrative center. There are also some interesting places to explore including the One Pillar Pagoda, the Botanical Gardens and the Temple of Literature.

Hai Ba Trung District
Although it features few tourist attractions, the neighborhood of Hai Ba Trung is a good place to see traditional Vietnamese life. This is also a good place for shopping as there are some great traditional markets and shops here as well as restaurants and places to relax such as Lenin Park and Thien Quang Lake.

Hanoi Entertainment Guide - For fun, recreation, and relaxation
Although the nightlife scene is much tamer in Hanoi than in other parts of Southeast Asia, there are still plenty of bars, clubs and venues offering life music to be found here. Most of the bars close at 23:00 or midnight, so partiers tend to start early drinking early in Hanoi.

There are a number of vibrant festivals held throughout the year and this is a great time to see the culture and religious spirit of the city. One of the most interesting festivals for visitors is the Co Loa Festival, while those who arrive in the spring will witness the annual elephant festival.

Ngoc Son Temple
Situated in Hoan Kiem Lake, this picturesque temple is surrounded by tranquil grounds and is home to a number of gigantic turtles as well as containing displays of Vietnamese history.

Hanoi City Tours

A number of different travel companies take visitors to Hanoi on tours of the city, which serves as a great introduction. These daylong tours include a wide range of major sightseeing attractions such as the Ngoc Son Temple, the Dong Xuan market, the Old Citadel, the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum and Museum, the One Pillar Pagoda, the Quan Thanh Temple and Tran Quoc Pagoda, the Ethnology Museum, the Literature Temple and Quoc Tu Giam. It is also possible to arrange longer tours which take visitors to places of interest just outside the city.

Golf
There are some great places to play golf in and around Hanoi and a good place to start is the Hanoi Club, which also offers a range of other activities. Another excellent choice is the King's Island Golf Resort and Country Club, which offers spectacular views of the Ba Vi Mountain and the waters of the Dong Mo Reservoir from its 36-hole course.

Cooking classes
Taking a cooking class is a good way to get something extra out of the trip than simple souvenirs and photographs and is also a good way to impress friends back home. The stylish Old Hanoi offers gourmet cooking classes, while the Hanoi Cooking Centre offers both long and short courses for adults and children.

Co Loa Festival
Lasting for an entire week, this festival takes place at the start of the year in a tribute to King An Duong Vuong. Culture lovers will be able to see traditional cheo theater performances as well as wrestling competitions and cockfighting.
When it comes to entertainment, Hanoi has plenty to offer. In addition to seeing the sights, visitors can take in a show at the theater, indulge in a spot of shopping or explore the parks. There are also outdoor pursuits available such as golf, swimming and cycling.

Bat Trang Ceramic Vocational Village (Long Bien district)
Bat Trang Ceramic Vocational Village for collecting handmade souveriers or you can do by yourself. The bus number 47 go direct to there from Hanoi (catch bus 47 at Long Bien bus station).

Van Phuc Pure Silk Vocational Village (Ha Dong district)
Van Phuc Pure Silk Vocational Village is interesting destination for buying handicraft, pants, dresses, shirts by 100% Pure Silk. There are many buses to there from Hanoi city center at Long Bien bus station or Cau Giay Bus station

Nightlife

Hoan Kiem Lake contains most of Hanoi's Western-style bars and this is a good place to meet other travelers at the end of the day. There are also some vibrant clubs here where it is possible to dance until the small hours. Also popular with music lovers is Minh's Jazz Club, where people gather to listen to live sets from local musicians.

Hi Masry
Above mentioned enough information for you to see and enjoy.
here i'm giving you very short advices to be safe during your trip.
1). During walking / dining - keep your valuables safe, specially crowded places and streets.
2). Be careful the TAXI's and other transportation rackets. ( pl's read separate blogs here)
3). Be careful the night life with woman here and been cheated and make you lost everything. ( if needed use the very safe and trust links to get them to you only)

Wish you be happy in Hanoi and be safe till return.

Learn the difference between USDee and Dong.
Carry small dongs (everyday use) separate from your USDee and Big Dong cash.
Items quoted in USDee or USDee converted Dong are three times more expensive to the local dong.
Be humble. The Vietnamese see every foreigner as a fat cat.

Thanks for all friends who send a variable advices and comments . i hope to have fun in Hanoi .

dear masry
welcome to hanoi:)
i am studying here, so i am glad to give you some short advices:
  + be caruful with your bags, or anything valuable. i saw a foreigner being stolen his camera by a young boy.
+ be careful with any vendors.
+ avoid luxury restaurants at old quarter, because many people complained about the fee:")
and lastly, you should have a guiders , let see hanoikids- they offer foreigners free tour-guide. OR may be you can contact me : [email protected] , i'm glad to help you have nice trip at this peaceful city. It is also a chance for me to enlarge my english , lol