Need some guidance ( New to Jakarta)

Hello All,

I am Subbu from India and i came to jakarta on dec 18th and i will be here till Jan 9th. I stay at Lippo Cikarang. As i am new to this place and i don't know anyone here and i feel very difficult to go to some places. Also language is a big problem too.

Can anyone suggest what to buy from Indonesia while i go back to my hometown. What is famous here?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Subbu.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

subbu85 wrote:

Hello All,

I am Subbu from India and i came to jakarta on dec 18th and i will be here till Jan 9th. I stay at Lippo Cikarang. As i am new to this place and i don't know anyone here and i feel very difficult to go to some places. Also language is a big problem too.

Can anyone suggest what to buy from Indonesia while i go back to my hometown. What is famous here?

Thanks in advance!

hii there,
are you from Chennai? I have friends from there, and everytime he came to Indonesia he bought batik and home accesories.
regards
adji

Hello yogyakarta,

Happy new year to you!

Yes i am from chennai and can u plz suggest some place where i get some decent batik with a reasonable  price? I found it quite expensive in some Malls.

Thanks!

hey! people from India generally take back the sambal's (chili sauce avalable in supermarkets) and the gado gado sauce, you can also take back the kerupuk in terms of food items... as for the batik, check out ITC mangga dua and cempaka mas.. they are generally cheaper than the malls

@ Sammay thanks a lot for your valuable information.

subbu85 wrote:

Hello All,

Thanks in advance!

Hi Subbu, welcome to Jakarta! Best to ask your Indonesian friend/colleague to accompany you shopping/going around. Most Indonesians don't speak English and they tend to jack the prices up ("you're foreigner, you must be rich!"). If you're on your own, you probably only go to foreigner-friendly places, which are more expensive. A local friend gives you wider options and better deals.

Hello wiradikusuma,

Thanks for your feedback...Yeah thats very true....I experienced that...They usually tell the price double than the original...Well and i managed to get help from one of my colleague here and did most of my shopping last Sunday..............

Thanks for all your replies. I will be leaving Jakarta on Thursday afternoon....

Had nice time here and looking forward for my next visit to Jakarta :-)