Coming to Nantes in Feb-Mar, 2013

Hey Everyone,

I'm Lopa from India and I'm planning on moving to Nantes by end February or early March. I'm looking for a job that does not require me to speak French (beyond the minimal required at present).

I have a dual masters degree in Psychology. I'm a trained Bharatanatyam dancer (Indian classical dance) and I'm a quadrilingual speaking fluent English, Hindi, Assamese and Bengali. I have been teaching in a college out here in Bangalore India for the past 2 years 4 months.

It'll be great if any of you can guide me regarding jobs there in Nantes.

Hello Lopa.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, you could post an advert in the Jobs in Nantes section It might help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hey there Aurélie,

Thank you so much. I will surely have a look and see what I could avail out of it.

Warmest regards,
Lopa :)

I manage a World dance school in saint nazaire, 60 kms of nantes. We search a Teacher for bollywood classes and barata nathiam classes. Are you interested?
Have you a car otherwise There is the train. Thank u!!

Hello Lopa,

Welcome to France. I'm American leaving in Paris with my husband & daughter, working freelance as an art therapist. My in-laws live in Nantes, and I've spent much time there. I'll tell you right off the bat, that there doesn't seem to be a large English speaking community. There isn't much ethnic diversity in Nantes compared to Paris, but then again it's not such a big city either, but very beautiful indeed. As for an Indian community like an English speaking is relatively small. However, my mother-in-law told me that there is some association for anglophones. What is your area of Psychology? What population do you  normally work with?

Best,
Caroline

Dear Caroline,

So good to see you reaching out to me. Thanks so much. I really needed that.

I am aware of the fact that it's not very easy being at my level of French to move to Nantes, but I am kind of moving there for my partner. Although Paris seems to be the most appropriate in terms of having a wider range of opportunity, I will have to pass that. I have already found out one particular group in Nantes that meets up regularly and mostly consists of people from English speaking countries. I'm pretty excited to be a part of that. It's called Knowing Nantes.

I am predominantly into teaching. At present I am in an assignment in Bangalore teaching students at masters level. My area of interest is Animal Assisted Therapy and Movement Therapy. It looks like you are also into alternative modes of therapy. We should surely meet and discuss possible options of working together in the future.

Regards,
Lopa

Hi Lopa,

I have also just moved to France, Nantes in beginning of February and i am searching for expats to share experience and meet up.
I am Slovenian by origin, Psychologist and Psychotherapist by profession, but now facing the challange to tackle the French language slowly. I have moved here due to my partner being French. At the moment i am still working with my clients through skype, but in the future i will be seking some job opportunities as well. I am planning to reach out to English speaking community and hopefully meet some new people.
It would be interesting to meet you, since we share some similarities :)
I wish you a good landing into the French world and all the luck in finding a job. You have a variety of experience, so I am sure, something will open up for you.

All best and hopefully see you in live,

Petra

Dear Petra,

What a wonderful surprise! We sure do have a lot in common.

I am now arriving only in the 1st week of April. So I will surely make it a point to keep you posted and see you as soon as I get there.

It's amazing that I posted here and got to know you and Caroline (she wrote in the earlier post if you have noticed). We are all from a similar background an it'll be very interesting to see if we can work around something together. In that we can build up something and also support one another and help out with our area of expertise. This for sure calls in for a big meet.

I hope you are enjoying your early days in Nantes. I am extremely looking forward to this experience. Hopefully my French will get better and that will open up further avenues.

Let's keep in touch. Thanks for writing once again.

Warmest regards,
Lopa

I lived in Nantes for several years. Once you join Knowing Nantes, you'll immediately discover the large network of English speakers that exist there. Sue is really great, and she'll make you feel welcome right away.

There aren't many places to go where you can speak English, but places like Buck Mulligan's pub will sometimes have special quiz nights in English, and certainly host Anglophone bands from time to time (keep a look out for the mostly anglophone Beatles cover band Doctor Robert myspace.com/drrober). There's also an awesome bar called Pulp owned and run by a very nice French guy, Guillaume, who speaks great English and is an amazing bartender.

A+!
Josh

Hey Josh,

Thanks for all the information. I see that you are n longer in France. But thanks once again for all the information. I will surely go an check out these places. I have joined the group KN but haven't been out to meet them yet. There is a bowling event coming up this sunday I guess so maybe I should go for it.

I hope you are doing great in whatever endeavour you are in now.