Moving to Kazakhstan next year

Hi all,
Looks like Kazakhstan may be in our future and I have a ton of questions.  So, for any of you who are knowledgeable about the area, please chime in!
1) We have two children who will be in school.  I have found two schools; Miras and QSI.  Does anyone have any comments about either of them?
2) We have a dog.  Is this going to present any problems?  Is K. dog friendly?  Are there lots of wild dogs etc?
3) The housing sites I have found (in English) cite that the going rate for a 250 - 300 sq. mtr. house is about $4,000.  Is this negotiable?  Here in Slovenia, it is usually about 20% less (esp. if paying in cash) than the listed price.
4) What is the general cost of living?
5) Attitude of the Kazaks toward foreignors?  Any issues related to being American?
6) What is the crime like, in general?  Is it mostly property crime or more violent?

Ok...that is just for starters.
Thanks in advance,
Jan

I've been moving from Romania to China recently and I haven't had much time to spend on the forum for a long time now. Are you still looking for information or did you get answers to all the questions on your list? I happen to have an expat friend who is a native Kazak and worked in Alma Ati where she met her French husband. I met her in Romania and then she moved to Armenia. If you still need more info, I will get in touch with her and I'm pretty sure she will be willing to help. So just let me know! Good luck and all the best!

Aline,
Thanks!  I will keep it in mind.  Now, Kazakhstan is up in the air.  Vietnam or Romania might be the destination.
Cheers,
Jan