Are expats in KSA often kinda weird?

I have noticed a trend--among western expats, anyway!  I'm trying to decide if they were weird when they came here or if they got weird after being here for a while.

Opinions?  Theories?

I think the isolated environment here tends to make them weird :D

AHA!

So you agree!

I tend to agree with your observation, on arrival they are normal. But once they see the treatment and privileges given to them by the society they behave weird either in a good or bad sense. :D

Give me some examples so I can keep an eye out for this "wierd" behaviour. I work on a camp with about 3000 other expats so i'll have a lot of observing to do..

Do So shenry :D and do share the observations with us :D

the treatment and privileges given to them by the society

:blink:
Where?!?  Where?!?

Alliecat wrote:

I have noticed a trend--among western expats, anyway!  I'm trying to decide if they were weird when they came here or if they got weird after being here for a while.

Opinions?  Theories?

define what kind of weirdness? at work, we are having  an Australian guy acting kinda weird so I wondered!

Alliecat wrote:

the treatment and privileges given to them by the society

:blink:
Where?!?  Where?!?

AHahahahahaha!!! :lol:

Salman,

Gimme some treatment and privileges.  Please? Please?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

No doubt that expats do get really weird after spending sometime in the sands.

Its a psychological trauma that everyone goes through based on the attitudes, behaviour, of the locals as well as the other expats who have been here before tham and also very much related to the local customs, manners, attitudes and laws of the land.

First and foremost, since everyone come here pourely for the finance, hob security becomes a very high priority in the hearts and minds of the expat. He has to keep his jobn for the duration that he or she has planned to achieve his goal. Hence, the expat automatically builds a shield in front of him to protect himself from others whom he may thuink and believe is after his job, either internally within the organization or even from external sources who have internal connections.

Next comes the ability to make ends meet and save up every possible penny, having a decent life in the process. Debt is the right name for that since the new income and other credit facilities available in the region kick starts a massive yearning to buy up all the nice things in life. Once in debt the repayment becomes the massive burden as the needs do not diminish and the income stays the same. hence more debt ius accumulated. This can cause terrible trauma and attitude problems creating havoc with behaviour.

Other factors that are considered prohibitive in this neck of the sdands which the expat is normally used to back in hios home state can also be another trauma creating factor in the individual.

The proper management of these traumatic situations wuthg an open mind and a strong will to achieve the objectives that one has come for and leave peacefully is the way out but very few are able to get into that grrove and survive in peace.

Ive seen so many situations where people have become totally inhuman after a few years under the sun. Sad, but true.

Ive seen so many situations where people have become totally inhuman after a few years under the sun.

You know, I see this, too.  I have developed  a 'Just Shoot Me If ...' list since I've been in KSA.

One thing on the 'Just Shoot Me If ... ' list is .. 'Just shoot me if I become suspicious of/think the worst of most people I meet.'

I haven't been here long but long enough to see people turn the other way instead of offer their hand to a colleague in need.  If I become like that, JUST SHOOT ME! 

But in simpler terms, I'll also define 'weird' as those people who never leave the compound--whose lives are their jobs and their apts., period.  They make no attempt to socialize and when they do, it's like they don't know how to make pleasant conversation/small talk.  KSA is an easy place to hide from the world.  The question is, did they COME here to hide from the world or did they begin hiding from the world after they'd been here a while?

There are some expats that are "institutionalized" after they have been here a long time.  I worked with a group of these people in Riyadh, who were with a defense contractor.

They really were an oddball group and some of those people would not be able to function in the "real world" because they have been here so long.

I've noticed that long-termers here happen to be fairly insulated, keep to themselves and don't socialize.  They work, go home to their compounds and that's pretty much it.

I've been an expat for 15 years; living in South America, Africa, Asia and the Middle East. There are always a few among the group that seem to be odd.  Generally, we think they became expats because they couldn't get on at home.

Of all the places I've worked, though, the strangest ones seem to be here.

After 30 years in the sun I think  am still EVEN.....

That is kind a weird !

If not being ODD is Weird then whats being ODD called?
STEVEN?

I think there is no link between weirdness and being expat, there are few weird ppl just like there are few weird locals lol

No doubt being weird is certainly across the bioard amongst all peoples of the planet.

The discussion here was about normal expats becoming weird after a few months under the sun...

This can be best answered by some one who have been across multiple countries

for example an Asia in saudia then canada coming back with Canadian Nationality :)

or may be deciding not to come here again

Huh?

make that two ( HUH !)

There are some expats that are "institutionalized" after they have been here a long time

I heard somebody else use that word (institutionalized) and it's right on the button, I think, for many.

Others have just turned into miserable human beings who don't have a good word to say about anybody. They are also extremely paranoid and seem to delight in squashing any newcomer's enthusiasm. Maybe they are the ones who drive long-timers to become institutionalized! :lol:

Unlike many, I'm here because I want to be here.  The minute I don't want to be, trust me, I am GONE!

An observation:

There is no doubt that there are some "wierd" people in my camp but not in the way you speak of. I guess i'm lucky.

It seems to me at everyone I meet is friendly and accepting. When I first got here ppl were more than happy to make me feel at home. I attributed this to the fact that we are all "in the same boat" so to speak (meaning away from family, friends, loved ones). I haven't dealt with the

miserable human beings who don't have a good word to say about anybody

yettt. (I've only been in Saudi since late Nov.)

Maybe your hanging with the wrong group? Or maybe i'm just lucky

shenry wrote:

Maybe your hanging with the wrong group? Or maybe i'm just lucky

I think both factors are in play. ;)

You never know who or what is the right or wrong crowd until after the event....

Hi there all,

I just wanted to make a quick obsevation as someone that has been here a mere couple of months.

Perhaps those that have been here a while become institutionalized, however isn't this the same wherever one goes? The longer we stays in one place the less inclined we all are to get off our backsides and go and exlpore where we are, or who we are with. We all become settled into our routines.

Before working in Riyadh I was in London and daily I would pass the sights that tourists go crazy for without even a 2nd thought. Not once did I visit 'Big Ben' or Buckingham Palace or any of the other wonderful and not so wonderful things in London.

I now intend to make up for my apathy by seeing KSA and visting the sights when I go back to the UK.

I cann't remember who it was that said "the true adventurer is the person that crosses the fence between him and his neighbour" (or something like that)

Ahhannn actually weird has be taken in such a large aspect but i believe living here is not some thing they always wanted.Its mut be the packages which draw them in saudia.

It make them un comfy most of time and rather than get ruled by saudi they prefer to rule them[if they get chance]

this may make them weird

and btw what a weird reply of mine...hehehehhe:D

Yeah, you're pretty weird too, nonz :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Alliecat wrote:

Yeah, you're pretty weird too, nonz :lol::lol::lol::lol:

yeah i heard that one liner several times,this time time its only more polite...usually its something like "nonz u r not only weird but a total freak and a mad mad woman":)

little exaggeration is "ok" sometimes?:P

Who's to say that being weird is necessarily a bad thing?

not at all

The kind of weird I've described is a bad thing, scully.