Moving back to Scotland from Norway.

Hey all,
       Ive had a look through the forum and cant see any question like mine. :)

Currently I live in Stavanger and have even bought a house here. I work Off-Shore for a large Service Company and my Wife works full time too. Our Kids now go to a Norwegian School as my Company will no longer pay the school fee's as Im now classed as a local employee with a local contract. The International School fee's are about 16,000nok a month so paying that although not out of the question would be a large drain on the spare funds each month. Also, we find that the quality of the Schooling is abysmal compared to the International Standards and that of where we come from in Scotland. Ie, 9 and 11 year old singing nursery level songs in Class almost daily.

Anyway, as I make an ok salary of around 1,000,000 each year and as I work 4 weeks off-shore and 4 weeks at home I could do this from the UK and commute to work each month. My Employer will pay for the flights anyway. We miss the Uk but I love working in Norway and the wage will go so much further in the UK and my Wife will not have to work.

So, has anybody done this before? Or know about anyone who has? How does Tax and all that work if I do move back?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh, and if anyone has any questions for me please feel free to ask and Ill help as best I can. Ive been here for three years now.

Andy

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Andy!

Hope the forum will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

Trigger: 1 million NOK for 2 months work is a lot man! :D

And yes you can make the money stretch a lot more in the UK, it's only when you take money out of the country that you feel their worth.

So what if your wife doesn't have a job in the UK when she is married to you? You can see in Asia , be it China, India or the Middle East, most or at least many women dont work and it's common for husbands that are software engineers, doctors and lawyers that their wives dont work .... it is high status and shows the man earns well enough, and this surely qualifies in your case and you can fly into Norway for work!

Remember the average income for 2 or perhaps even for a household of 4 in the UK is lower than 1 million NOK a year.

:D But you are going to miss the Western fjords and mountains of Norway

Thanks for the reply's. :)

New_in_Norway, I wish it was for two months work, in reality its more like 100 days a year and I really cant complain at that! I love my job and have no intentions of working anywhere else but if I can live in my homeland and build a house there why not? My Wife never had to work before coming to Norway so it will be good if she goes back to not working or part time again.

It would be nice to hear from someone who has done this already? Get a heads up on the do's and dont, in's and outs. Maybe its not worth it at all and I should be happy with what I have here?

Cheers!

:D I think you should be very happy with what you have there - 1 mil NOK a year is still good for 100 days of work, and if you both earn there then even better.

But do something about the tuition fees because universities dont have them , so maybe a normal public school rather than an international school?

But it's not impossible for your family to be relocated back to Scotland while you go to Norway for work- whatever way you do it it seems the tuition fees is the only problem :D 

You can always move back home after 2-3 years, but whatever you do - do not give up your gold mine that you already have! (At least not until you find a bigger one)

trigger_andy wrote:

Thanks for the reply's. :)

New_in_Norway, I wish it was for two months work, in reality its more like 100 days a year and I really cant complain at that! I love my job and have no intentions of working anywhere else but if I can live in my homeland and build a house there why not? My Wife never had to work before coming to Norway so it will be good if she goes back to not working or part time again.

It would be nice to hear from someone who has done this already? Get a heads up on the do's and dont, in's and outs. Maybe its not worth it at all and I should be happy with what I have here?

Cheers!

Armand wrote:

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Andy!

Hope the forum will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

No offence Armand, but do you really think it helps anyone when you, admins, post a reply like this? I mean, it is nice to welcome a newbie to the forum, but completely useless at the same time.