IELTS

Hello everyone i am living in jeddah and i need to find IELTS teacher urgently,any help?

I'm in Dammam but wants to take IELTS in Riyadh. Can anybody help me where the test centres are located in Riyadh for IELTS under British Council

http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/loc … udi-arabia

British Council Main centre
Office No. C-14, 3rd Floor
Al-Fazary Square
Diplomatic Quarter
P O Box 58012
Riyadh 11594
Working Hours:
Saturday - Wednesday
Exams registration: 0830 - 1430
Teaching centre: 1530 - 2230
Location map for men and women

Women's centre
Al Manahil Centre
Ibn Zaher Street
Diplomatic Quarter
Working Hours:
Saturday - Wednesday
Exams registration: 0800 - 1400
Teaching centre: 0800 - 2000
Location map for men and women

Telephone +966 1483 1818 (men)
+966 1480 7811 (women)

Fax +966 1483 1717 (men)
+966 1480 7811 Ext. 37 (women)

E-mail [email protected]

Thank you alliecat, I took the course in the British council, now i need private teacher specially to correct my essays.

Thanks a ton, quite useful info.

asma izz wrote:

Thank you alliecat, I took the course in the British council, now i need private teacher specially to correct my essays.

Maybe place an ad here or on expatriates.com.  Or, actually, with essays, you could even do via skype.

Good luck!

Alliecat wrote:
asma izz wrote:

Maybe place an ad here or on expatriates.com.  Or, actually, with essays, you could even do via skype.

Good luck!

Skype with who? :P

Alliecat wrote:
asma izz wrote:

Good luck!

yaa with who loool

TheLegendLeads wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
asma izz wrote:

Good luck!

Skype with who? :P

With WHOM (object of the preposition 'with' :P).

Oh I don't know .. There are plenty of people who advertise this!

asma izz wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
asma izz wrote:

Good luck!

yaa with who loool

Whom!  WHOM!

:lol:

Your first FREE lesson! :D

Alliecat wrote:
asma izz wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Good luck!

yaa with who loool

Whom!  WHOM!

:lol:

Your first FREE lesson! :D

hhhhhhhh good one :) loved your free lessons please make loads of it.

Question out of curiosity: Do Americans teach IELTs?

asma izz wrote:

I wish you could have Skype sessions with Allie :)

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Question out of curiosity: Do Americans teach IELTs?

asma izz wrote:

I wish you could have Skype sessions with Allie :)

Sure we do--it's almost the same as the TOEFL. A few slight differences based on vocabulary, perhaps (elevator/lift) and V2/V3 (learned/learnt, spilled/spilt) but nothing that can't be dealt with :)

*Accent*

For us UK and US accents are way apart.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

*Accent*

For us UK and US accents are way apart.

Sure but the speaking part of IELTS is about grammar/vocabulary/fluency/pronunciation, not accent.  How could it be about accent since it is non-native speakers of English taking the test and they will all have accents based on their own language?

No, listening part of exam does have a role played by 'accent'. E.g. I've to be bit more keen to understand UK english.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

No, listening part of exam does have a role played by 'accent'. E.g. I've to be bit more keen to understand UK english.

Trust me, you aren't judged on having a British accent.  How could you be?  Same as TOEFL you don't have to have an American accent.  You just have to speak clearly and pronounce words properly.

Ironically, most Saudis have very clear accents and although most of them were taught English by Brits here in Saudia, none that I ever met had an identifiable British accent.  If anything, it was more American.  Maybe due to movies?  I don't know.

("I've to be a bit more keen" isn't about accent, rather it's about usage.)

he is reffering about the "listening" test where the accent makes the difference..

Alliecat wrote:
TheLegendLeads wrote:

Trust me, you aren't judged on having a British accent.  How could you be?  Same as TOEFL you don't have to have an American accent.  You just have to speak clearly and pronounce words properly.

Ironically, most Saudis have very clear accents and although most of them were taught English by Brits here in Saudia, none that I ever met had an identifiable British accent.  If anything, it was more American.  Maybe due to movies?  I don't know.

Oh yes. I once noticed a saudi having amazing US accent (pitch, vowels, R etc). He (innocently enough) admitted confessed that he had learnt that all from movies :lol:

DrHassanMalik wrote:

he is reffering about the "listening" test where the accent makes the difference..

Alliecat wrote:
TheLegendLeads wrote:

So you have to be able to understand English.  Period.  I have taught the IELT and I have an American accent.  Australians can teach it, too, with an Aussie accent, of course.  And so on and so on.  For me, I find the most difficult English accent to understand (apart from really thick Scottish and North England) is South African.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Oh yes. I once noticed a saudi having amazing US accent (pitch, vowels, R etc). He (innocently enough) admitted confessed that he had learnt that all from movies :lol:

Have you ever met Salman?  You'd swear he is American and he learned his English from watching American TV as a kid (and having a good ear).

irish is the toughest to digest i bet :/

Alliecat wrote:
DrHassanMalik wrote:

Alliecat wrote:

So you have to be able to understand English.  Period.  I have taught the IELT and I have an American accent.  Australians can teach it, too, with an Aussie accent, of course.  And so on and so on.  For me, I find the most difficult English accent to understand (apart from really thick Scottish and North England) is South African.

I am with alliencat accent is not the matter in IELTS even in the listening part the record may be in British, Australian or American accent.

so alliecat are you able to help me through this ??????? do u have free time for me

@asmaa, I could you help you out by introduce you to a friend of mine. He's an English teacher who works for a Saudi govermental company; anyhow he had left off for the new year's holiday. So basically if you are interested I might pull off some strings once he's landed!!!

Adios!!

@Allie , I scored 85 when I took TOEFL IBT, and I have never been majored in English language. Now I work as a translator,I would thank the TV and Music for that and don't forget the massive effort which has been put in together by me to build up vocabulary.

asma izz wrote:

so alliecat are you able to help me through this ??????? do u have free time for me

I'm sorry but I can't--don't do tutoring any more.

iMack10 wrote:

@asmaa, I could you help you out by introduce you to a friend of mine. He's an English teacher who works for a Saudi govermental company; anyhow he had left off for the new year's holiday. So basically if you are interested I might pull off some strings once he's landed!!!

Adios!!

Thank you very much iMack, the problem is my exam is on 11 jan 2013
anyway hope i can handle it by my self. Again thank you :)

Alliecat wrote:
asma izz wrote:

I'm sorry but I can't--don't do tutoring any more.

no problem allicat :)

Alliecat wrote:

I find the Scottish accent and the Cockney slang impossible to understand. :)

Good luck in your exam, and keep us posted!

8 Famous IELTS Mistakes And How To Avoid Them
Written by Simone Braverman of IELTS blog

I cannot stress this enough – the success in IELTS test largely depends on students' ability to follow the instructions. It sounds ridiculously simple, and yet it is a common mistake to underestimate the importance of following the instructions precisely. So here is a list of 8 most famous IELTS pitfalls that cost test takers precious points.

1.    More is less. A very common mistake is to answer in more words than instructed. If the task says "Not more than 3 words", answering in 4 or more words will definitely cost marks.

2.    Less is less. The length of a written task is crucial. When instructions mention a minimal number of words (250 for essay, 150 for report or letter), it means that any work shorter than required will be penalized.

3.    Longer essay doesn't mean better mark. Another common misconception is that longer essays score better in IELTS. Not only is this a myth, but also a dangerous one. Writing a long essay can indirectly cost marks, because the chances of making mistakes increase with the number of words and sentences.

4.    Changing the subject is unacceptable. Every so often a student is asked to write on topic, that he doesn't understand. To avoid the disaster of missing a whole task they decide to write on a slightly – or entirely - different topic. The sad fact is that no matter how beautiful the submitted work is, the wrong topic means zero score. Another similar pitfall is to omit parts of the given topic or ignore the guidelines in your work. Every point the topic refers to needs to be covered because the examiners will be actually counting them.

5.    Good memory can get you in trouble. Having seen that the topics sometimes repeat, "smart" students with good memory decide to memorize essays. This is a terrible mistake to make because the examiners are trained to look for memorized essays and have firm instructions to disqualify such works on the spot.

6.    Accent is not important. Pronunciation is.! IELTS, being a test for non-native English speakers can't penalize people for having an accent. The problem here is that not everyone knows the difference between speaking with an accent and mispronouncing the words. No matter how strong of an accent a person has, the words are to be pronounced correctly or it will cost marks.

7.    It is not the ideas that are important, but the way they are described in. Many students think that expressing the wrong ideas (whether it is in essay, letter or discussion) can harm their score. The truth is that no idea can be wrong and the ideas are not important on their own, it is the way they are expressed in that important.

8.    Connective words: the more is not always the better. Smart students know that one of the essay marking criteria are coherence and cohesion, and what better way is there to demonstrate cohesion than to use lots of connective words, right? Wrong. Overuse of connective words is a know problem, which is easily recognized and penalized by the examiners.

And in conclusion, a word of advice: to stay out of trouble, it is equally important to be aware of the pitfalls and to practice enough before the exam. Being familiar with the structure and the procedure of the test will build up confidence and that will reflect in your score.