I know they said it was boring in Riyadh... But damn!?!?!

Is it better anywhere else in KSA?

Lol Sounds like you needa hook up with Jimmy :p

Talked to Jimmy on the phone the other day and told me bout a party but unfortunately i had a flight to Germany and i missed it :( ... So im bk in my man cave and my compound is just WAAAYYYY too quiet.

No problem with riyadh here. 
Maybe you just are one track minded.

Freshlikesushi wrote:

And maybe you need to expand your circle beyond jimmy ;)

I know right!

I can remember the days, just coming home to an empty room...life of cooking, washing and TV. Was going out of my mind...yeh socializing does help a lot. again good company will help, taking some trips to other parts will be good. Meeting people of other cultures and learning form them...you just got to take the first step

Freshlikesushi wrote:

How is being 8k miles from home "one track minded" ? If anything is open minded.

Might have gotten the impression that your recreational focus is drinking and partying?

jpm19 wrote:

Is it better anywhere else in KSA?

Dhahran is way better than riyadh. This is my 4th month in Riyadh and i still fly everyweekend to Dhahran, lol and atleast Bahrain is a 30min drive from there :P

jeddah was good, i did a 4 year stint there.  beaches, red sea, jet ski's, scuba diving/snorkling

been in riyadh for 4 weeks now...at least works keeping me busy and the tears are helping me sleep at nights lol

Hello all.

To note that off topics posts have been moved.
Can you please come back to the initial subject?

Thank you,
Aurélie

Jeddah city is much more diversified in term of activity, community, and places to go. Many people spend their time in scuba diving, snorkling, swimming, lying on the beach and clubbing but in low profile...in a nutshell its a city where you can feel things go on unlike Rio which the fear is a real description 👹

Jeddah this weekend! Lets go swim!

Personally I found Riyadh the most boring place on earth,been here for 7 months and nothing interesting in the city,the most depressing thing is the Holiday season, being away from family and friends is a priceless time,I wish all the expat would have a big gathering for the Holiday season.

Couldnt agree more ^^^^...

I second that. No life in Riyadh. Better move to open city.

You have to look at it as a trade-off.  You're getting yourself into a better place,financially, but you're giving up a social life for a while.

what's wrong with lifestyle in Riyadh? what are the things you all wanted to do and could not here in KSA? and it should be a trade-off? why not a nice and enjoyable cultural experience?

im just saying :)

Can't agree more with anaexpat. Just try to see the positive things and be open for other options. Having a social life is must, though. There's a large expat community here in Riyadh and it's very enriching to socialize with different people from all over the world. If you give yourself a chance to get to know the culture and even the religion you'd be quite surprised, in my opinion :) good luck!

Alstroemeria wrote:

Can't agree more with anaexpat. Just try to see the positive things and be open for other options. Having a social life is must, though. There's a large expat community here in Riyadh and it's very enriching to socialize with different people from all over the world. If you give yourself a chance to get to know the culture and even the religion you'd be quite surprised, in my opinion :) good luck!

:top:

Alstroemeria wrote:

Hey, learning about the culture, the people, Islam.. plus having so many multi-natioal colleagues .. these are the things that keep me going or I wouldn't have lasted here as long as I have!  I'm forever praising this as a learning experience.  THAT said, however, my social life isn't what it was in the US by any stretch of the imagination and I'll tell you why:

1st, it's difficult for single women here (if you're married you not only have your hubby but you also have all this friends/colleagues as well as 'family' status);

2nd, if you're working for a Saudi company, there are very few other expats (as is my case) plus you're not housed on a western compound;

3rd, I've seen many expat women virtually sell themselves for invitations to parties/compounds, and this isn't something I can do and still look myself in the eye.

Anyway, this is my story and I'm sticking to it :D

Best of luck to all!

Alliecat wrote:
Alstroemeria wrote:

Hey, learning about the culture, the people, Islam.. plus having so many multi-natioal colleagues .. these are the things that keep me going or I wouldn't have lasted here as long as I have!  I'm forever praising this as a learning experience.  THAT said, however, my social life isn't what it was in the US by any stretch of the imagination and I'll tell you why:

1st, it's difficult for single women here (if you're married you not only have your hubby but you also have all this friends/colleagues as well as 'family' status);

2nd, if you're working for a Saudi company, there are very few other expats (as is my case) plus you're not housed on a western compound;

3rd, I've seen many expat women virtually sell themselves for invitations to parties/compounds, and this isn't something I can do and still look myself in the eye.

Best of luck to all!

Allie, if you need any boost to your social life or are simply bored please feel free to contact me. I'm free most of the time! If you don't mind my toddler's company, though!

@Alstroemeria Thanks--very kind of you :)  I just might take you up on it!

very well said Allie, chapeau Meria :), glad to hear such things.
I have to admit it's not always an easy and smooth transition from a western to eastern lifestyle; I myself faced the same a couple of years ago when I moved to UAE from DC; back to Europe then to Riyadh.
However, and I too stick to my story lol, it's a nice and enriching experience. Maybe it's much easier for guys than girls.And I feel bad, as Allie mentioned, for those western ladies throwing themselves into parties just coz they felt doing so.

T

Enriching experiences...it started out boring for me as well. Was also looking for a social circle and all I had was the TV and books. Same friends and same discussions. More than culture shock I was amazed by the culture. I wanted to know more. I was certain there are good and bad in all communities. So I changed my social circle a bit from expats to Saudis. I guess I was a little bored if the same conversation each week so I added to list of 'had to do'. I'm also not a party person. Lonely in a crowd.
I think it would be refreshing to get to know the culture, visit the Bedouin camps, visit some if the ancient sites. The old ppl always have a fascinating story to tell. They really love their culture and traditions. I was lucky enough to meet good ppl. My invite to the east still stands if ur looking to explore the place. There r trips for male, females or families. Next week I will be camping at one of the most beautiful places in the Saudi desert. Then a safari to a place called yellow lake. You could not imagine its beauty. I just got to do it. It's suitable for men, if u have a 4x4 you can join.

Alliecat wrote:
Alstroemeria wrote:

Best of luck to all!

unless all your colleagues like to party and you dont, or are twice your age

me and the wife are just us haha

There are quite a few parties during the weekend in some of the compounds and embassies but its all about who you know. Bahrain and Dubai also have a great night life are not too far.

welcome to another side of the world

Miss_Unique wrote:

There are quite a few parties during the weekend in some of the compounds and embassies but its all about who you know. Bahrain and Dubai also have a great night life are not too far.

Maybe i need you as a contact then!!! Haha

parties is like the most boring part of saudi arabia.

Freshlikesushi wrote:

parties is like the most boring part of saudi arabia.

Dunno about that. Most of the parties I have been to have been frikkin' awesome. Which ones have you been going to?

I do things that involve...i dunno...saudi arabia?

hashes, working on cars with saudis, track events at reem and dirab, exploring places.

i have better things to do then have a headache the next day

Each to their own

no doubt

i just thought after high school that mentality was over

Yes which is why there is absolutely no market for pubs clubs or other such like for anybodt over 18....

Freshlikesushi wrote:

no doubt

i just thought after high school that mentality was over

True enough to each his/her own.  But I guess we are of the same mindset.  :)

I just came back from vacation and spent the new year in Bangkok - talk about a place to party!!!  Some of my friends from the US met me there and we had a blast.  But the day after was brutal!!!  Hahaha

I find other things to entertain me here in the Magic Kingdom than parties and there are things to do if one is open to the adventure!!

tonguetwister wrote:

Yes which is why there is absolutely no market for pubs clubs or other such like for anybodt over 18....

there is a great market for crack cocaine

does that make it great?

I know they said it was boring in Riyadh... But damn!?!?!

Maybe that's the reason this KSA forum is the most active on the blog ever and users have more than 2000 posts!