Internship as a Waitress and Permanance Job. SHOULD or SHOULD NOT?

(There was a silimar topic in this forum; however, things seem quiet overthere. So I create this one and hope for more information)

Hi everyone,

My name is Trang. I am from Vietnam.

I am writing to ask you a favor. I am about to take a 3-month-internship in your country as a waitress at Tsubohachi Restaurant. My purpose is to look for a full-time job during the time.

Woule you please help me to clear these things out?

1. I am wondering if there is any chance that a foreinger can get a full-time job in Singapore? According the information I read in MOM's website, situation is very strict; however, some people says it is possible. I tried to apply when I am Vietnam and no positive news. If I am Singapore, will I have more chance?

2. If I don't have any chances, Can I learn anything as a waitress? I absolutely save less than the job I am currently working in Vietnam. Should I invest time and money for this because I have to pay for the agency?

2. No Singaporean wants to work as a waitress, so they have to hire oversea workers with less payment. I am thinking this job is not respectful. Am I correct?

For more information, I am able to communcate in English, Vietnamese and Mandarin. I graduated of Bachelor of Business Administration and have one-year-experience in Editing, PR and Marketing.

I am going to invest 3 months to work as the lowest position, leave my family, friends and current job; and start from scratch.
I can tell this opportunity means everything to me, but the passion of discovering new challenges can't stop my attitude.

I also understand that thousands of people outside want to step in your dream country. Your help would mean a lot to me and my career.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I wish you every success in life and career.

Warm regards,
Trang

Hello Trang,

Being a foreigner in Singapore and having worked in multiple countries, you could trust me with answers to your questions.

So here goes:

Do foreigners get jobs in Singapore?
Yes.

Is it easy?
It depends on your educational qualifications, skills and professional experience. If you have relevant experience, you might bag a job.

Is it easier to get a job when you physically present in Singapore?
Yes, a lot. If you are not physically located in Singapore, it is very difficult to get a job unless you are a top-notch professional earning over $10000 per month.

As a waitress, would you learn much?
Not really. The only thing that would be positive is that you would be physically located in Singapore. That would significantly boost your chances of getting another (better) job.

How about visa approval?
Success in visa approval depends on what kind of job you are looking for. Generally, it is easy to get your visa approved for a very low paying job (below $1000) or for a high paying job (above $5000). If you are looking for something in between, it is unlikely that your visa application would get approved. This is because Singaporeans don't want to work for low paying jobs. As far as the very high paying jobs are concerned, the govt easily grants a visa because they understand that there may not be enough talent in Singapore to satisfy all the requirements of companies.

Since you have a BBA under your belt and a year long experience in editing, PR and marketing, you actually do stand a chance of bagging a good job if you are good in your work.

To conclude, is it a good idea to come over as a waitress and look for job?
Well, many have succeeded that way, and many haven't. If you have a good CV and you can back it up with a good performance in an interview, I guess you could give it a shot.

In case you do actually turn up here, then do not tell a prospective employer that you are working as a waitress. Tell them you came here on a tourist pass to find a job. If probed further, then add that you took up a part-time job as a waitress to support your stay in Singapore (try to avoid mentioning that you are working as a waitress).

All the best!
Frank

Hi Frank,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I feel more confident right now. I even had a big fight with my parents about this. They thought I am insane to chase an impossible Singapore dream. With your response, at least I have sth to rely on.

If possible, I will land to Singapore in Feb 20th, 2013. Hope we can meet up then! :D

Again, I greatly appreciate your time and support.

Have a nice day.

Trang

I also would like to hear from other opinions.

You're welcome! :)

Hi Trang,

Mình cũng có cùng ý định như bạn đấy và mình cũng dự định sang Sing vào tháng 02 - 03 này. Hiện tại mình vẫn còn ở HCM. Có gì cho mình số điện thoại hoặc gửi mess cho mình vào [email protected] nha. :) Rất vui được biết bạn

Hi banmai,

Could you please write in English in this English speaking forum?

Thank you.

kelly_middlenice wrote:

Hi Frank,

I feel more confident right now. I even had a big fight with my parents about this. They thought I am insane to chase an impossible Singapore dream. With your response, at least I have sth to rely on.

If possible, I will land to Singapore in Feb 20th, 2013. Hope we can meet up then! :D

Have a nice day.

Trang

hi trang,

hope u get a job in singapore.. as a beginning u can apply for waitress job to get a status in sg then later on since u r in sg u can apply for better job. let u r familiar wit sg 1st n understand hw the systems work.

banmai wrote:

Hi Trang,

Mình cũng có cùng ý định như bạn đấy và mình cũng dự định sang Sing vào tháng 02 - 03 này. Hiện tại mình vẫn còn ở HCM. Có gì cho mình số điện thoại hoặc gửi mess cho mình vào [email protected] nha. :) Rất vui được biết bạn

I also have the same intentions as you do it and I also plan to go to Singapore on May 02 - 03. Currently I'm still in the city. What's your phone number or send your message to [email protected] home. smile. Nice to know you

Christine, hope the below googled translation is helpful .... lolx

waraza wrote:
kelly_middlenice wrote:

Hi Frank,

Have a nice day.

Trang

hi trang,

hope u get a job in singapore.. as a beginning u can apply for waitress job to get a status in sg then later on since u r in sg u can apply for better job. let u r familiar wit sg 1st n understand hw the systems work.

.... what system?

Hi WhatsApp me I can discuss Singapore queries ***

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details for safety reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
mkumar01234 wrote:

<span>[Post under review]</span>

I just hide your post. What's the purpose of sharing personal number and asking to contact personally? Why you can't response here! Did you read the rules of this forum? Did you see when this post was posted and replied? You are responding a 7yrs old post.

Avoid sharing any personal information here, all queries can be discussed here in public. Looking at your profile, this is your first response in this forum, better avoid it or else you will be banned.