Visa without a pension?

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has any tips on our situation....

My wife and I are in our 30's and I work online for a law firm as a virtual paralegal.  Our monthly income is what you would typically make in my field in the U.S.

We are considering moving to Ecuador and becoming residents.  However, we are nowhere near receiving a pension yet, and we don't have $25,000 to invest or a corporation to set up.  Are we pretty much out of options except for living for 9 months in the country as tourists?

Also, is it true that once you max out your tourist visa to the full 9 months, you cannot reenter Ecuador for an entire year?

I'd really appreciate any tips, even if they aren't what I would like to hear, thanks!

Hi, your only other option would be to get a job in Ecuador! your ecuadorian employer would sponsor your Visa. If you become a resident on a Tourist Visa you will not be able to have a decent job.
Do you speak Spanish?

There are ways to work around the 9 month tourist visa extension. There are attorneys who specialize in that. While some other Visa procedures people with some Spanish skills and assistance can work out on their own, I strongly advice against trying to get a tourist Visa extension by yourself.

Loving Ecuador wrote:

Hi, your only other option would be to get a job in Ecuador! your ecuadorian employer would sponsor your Visa. If you become a resident on a Tourist Visa you will not be able to have a decent job.
Do you speak Spanish?

There are ways to work around the 9 month tourist visa extension. There are attorneys who specialize in that. While some other Visa procedures people with some Spanish skills and assistance can work out on their own, I strongly advice against trying to get a tourist Visa extension by yourself.

Okay, so when you say that there are ways around the 9 month tourist extension, are you saying I could get someone to help me stay permanently as a tourist, or to not have to leave for a whole year?

That thing about not being allowed back in for 12 months is crazy.  In Nicaragua we only had to leave for 2 days.

Usually after completion of the full 9 months, you will be required to leave for three months before coming back in for another 9 months. But that is only with legal assistance. Sorry...Nicaragua isnt Ecuador, but the most people is actually coming to Ecuador :)
Once you complete full 9 months you may leave for any of the other countries around for the maximum you will be allowed in South America as a tourist: 3 months. Of course except Brazil.

Loving Ecuador wrote:

Usually after completion of the full 9 months, you will be required to leave for three months before coming back in for another 9 months. But that is only with legal assistance. Sorry...Nicaragua isnt Ecuador, but the most people is actually coming to Ecuador :)
Once you complete full 9 months you may leave for any of the other countries around for the maximum you will be allowed in South America as a tourist: 3 months. Of course except Brazil.

How long can one stay in Brazil?

As far as getting a work visa, do I need a job offer from a particular list of companies?  In other words, would a friend be able to hire me as a guy who washes his car for $1 per month?

I've been in contact via email with a lawyer in Quito who specializes in visas and such, and she just told me that the way it works is this:

You can extend your tourist visa up to a maximum of 9 months total.  You can then obtain another tourist visa 12 months from the date of your first visa.

In other words, suppose I go to Ecuador in January 2013.  By getting tourist visa extensions, I can stay until September 2013  I then have to leave Ecuador, but can come back on a tourist visa in January 2014.

Just FYI.

Barbaracjohnson: As an American citizen you need a Visa IN ORDER TO ENTER Brazil. Even if for tourism or vacation it needs to be issued from the country you will be departing prior to arrival in Brazil.

Luisr: You will need a job offer from an Ecuadorian company, which have to meet the criteria stated by law to sponsor you (such as a minimum capital investment, minimum number of existing Ecuadorian employees, reasons by which such company needs your services over Ecuadorian's, etc..all the regular procedure)
Re the lawyer you contacted, she is right. Once you complete all 9 months as tourist you must leave Ecuador for 3 months. Even if you apply for another tourist Visa before leaving so the 9 month period really renews itself by the calendar year.

I am thinking about maybe volunteer jobs for you. Check on orphanages, there are some but I am not sure which ones would back up a temporary residence Visa...

Loving Ecuador wrote:

Re the lawyer you contacted, she is right. Once you complete all 9 months as tourist you must leave Ecuador for 3 months. Even if you apply for another tourist Visa before leaving so the 9 month period really renews itself by the calendar year....

I think we're going to go ahead and just do the 9 months a year route.  We were kind of planning on being in the U.S. for a period of time each year anyway, so it works out. 

Do you think I need a lawyer to extend my visa for the full 9 months, or can I simply go to the immigration office and do it myself (I speak fluent Spanish).  Do you know what the costs are?

Also, are you recommending that I apply for my 2nd tourist visa before my 9 month period runs out?

Hi, you definitely do not need a lawyer to extend your Tourist Visa, especially since you have Spanish skills. All you need to do is submit a petition (signed form with a picture, certified copy of passport valid for at least another 6 months, copies of a return ticket and pay US$ 30 for Visa PETITION). If you are approved, you will be required to pay another US$ 30 to get the actual Visa stamped in your passport.
You do not need to apply in advanced before your tourist Visa expires. Just leave and come back after you completed 90 days out of Ecuador. If you respected the legal time allowance the first time around, you will be issued a new tourist Visa at customs upon arrival. If you overstayed during the 9 initial months (Original 6 months Visa+ 3 months extension)it will show in the entry/departure stamp as well as in the system, which will be reason to deny you entry the following time.

Loving Ecuador wrote:

Barbaracjohnson: As an American citizen you need a Visa IN ORDER TO ENTER Brazil. Even if for tourism or vacation it needs to be issued from the country you will be departing prior to arrival in Brazil.

Thank you.

Is there any way one can stay in ecuador non-stop?

AND

How long can one stay in Brazil without having to leave for another country?

luisr wrote:

That thing about not being allowed back in for 12 months is crazy.  In Nicaragua we only had to leave for 2 days.

I had to laugh when I read your "crazy" comment above. Living in Ecuador: 1. I accept the most bizarre requirements without question, 2. I have patience as nothing moves as fast as I would like and 3. I appreciate conveniences I took for granted in the USA.