Finding work in portgal

finding work in portgal seems to be a grate deal of dicrimnation with age i am a driver with more than 20 year experance driving around europ i have 54 years old but find thay are not intrested in people over 40 hear but i can not understand why may be some one can tell me were i might find a job as a truck triver in lisbon portgal i am english but stay now in lisbon for the last 2 years thanks

Hello kevk.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime I invite you to post an advert in the Jobs in Lisbon section. It might help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

thanks i will try job portgal

The older you are, the more you will want for a salary if the general feeling. That and you are reaching an age that medical complications will take more time and money for the employer to deal with.

well thanks that helps ....

kevk wrote:

finding work in portgal seems to be a grate deal of discrimination with age i am a driver with more than 20 year experance driving around europ i have 54 years old but find thay are not intrested in people over 40 hear but i can not understand why may be some one can tell me were i might find a job as a truck triver in lisbon portgal i am english but stay now in lisbon for the last 2 years thanks

I have to agree with you... I'm in the thirties and it is difficult. The biggest discrimination when you look for a job here in Portugal is without a shadow of a doubt, age.

Need to go and talk directly to the companies. Show up in the offices. Insist a little bit. Whenever possible try to speak to the manager or the owner (if it's a small company). Sometimes the secretaries and the medium hierarchies are the biggest barriers you face in the companies.
So many problems wouldn't exist if we could just talk directly to the bosses!
Good luck.
Saul

hi i all ready done this but thay ok we will call or get back to you in a few days or the boss is not hear now or come back later  but we have to keep trying

Man i want to come in Lisbon kindly help me kindly reply me i am living in spain currently

@kevk

yes, me too here I face discrimination almost every day I'm looking for good job. They used to out foreign candidates out if you already have manifest of interest, resident card or even like me Portuguese citizenship. Well-known agencies' staff such as Randstad, Kelly, Synergie, Eurofirms, Timing, Multitempo etc don't want to search job for you if your profile is out of their interest. I'm not going to use their services anymore since they reply same thing everytime. They used to have doubts wheteher you have right qualifications or enough experience. There're too much barriers to build my careers. Here class difference in society is very high too. Having no EU-recognized certificates I've been staying out of work for more than half-of-year here. Professors at secondary school used to recognize neither my Portuguese nor English. Even church-parishers emphasized on my origin as 'naturalized' I'm not exactly Portuguese.

@krylovkirill2008

Hello,

Please note that you are responding to a post from 2013 ...

Regards

Bhavna

;)

Closed