Life over there.

I am 66 years old and I am thinking of moving to Manila, and maybe get married but I also would like to find a job if possbile? in the mean time I would like to meet a friend over there who would write to me about life over there, and what to expect when I get there?

My name Is Wayne Hall

Hi Wayne Hall and welcome to Expat.com!

A new thread has been created on Manila forum for better visibility.;)

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.

You're willing to work in which sector?
More details may help.

Harmonie.:)

waymar65 wrote:

I am 66 years old and I am thinking of moving to Manila, and maybe get married but I also would like to find a job if possbile? in the mean time I would like to meet a friend over there who would write to me about life over there, and what to expect when I get there?

My name Is Wayne Hall

Firstly,welcome to this site.
Secondly,Wayne i would like to be very honest with you.You say on your profile that you do not have money and you are 66yrs of age working as a rural mail man.So how do you expect to survive in the Philippines?You need to ask yorself that question.
Please best you do some real good homework before you decide to move,so that you do not become another statistic.And end up there with nothing.

dkcape wrote:
waymar65 wrote:

My name Is Wayne Hall

Firstly,welcome to this site.
Secondly,Wayne i would like to be very honest with you.You say on your profile that you do not have money and you are 66yrs of age working as a rural mail man.So how do you expect to survive in the Philippines?You need to ask yorself that question.
Please best you do some real good homework before you decide to move,so that you do not become another statistic.And end up there with nothing.

Some good advice dkcape.  I always recommend anyone moving to the Philippines to come check it out first.  Living here is not for everyone and getting a job here as a foreigner is not easy.  Age discrimination in the work force is rampant.  Most of the jobs are for the younger generation and I'm talking under 30 years old.  I hope that some of the expats living in the Manila area, where you say you want to move, see your post and help you with some information.  My wife and I live here, in a paid for house, for about $1200 per month.  We live decent and I don't have much to complain about.  Check out Texan in the Philippines (my website) for information about living here.  I know some people that live in different areas of the Philippines and living away from the larger cities is less expensive.

I live  in the  Davao City area, i have  a  budget of $1,000 USD i make more but  we  live  good  on that, i  have  my own house, and live  in the provience

Okieboy wrote:

I live  in the  Davao City area, i have  a  budget of $1,000 USD i make more but  we  live  good  on that, i  have  my own house, and live  in the provience

That's a good estimate, and I have heard of people that can live on less.  It mostly depends on your lifestyle and location.  Basically the more you can live like a native in the sticks, the less expensive it will be.  The more you what to maintain your 1st world country living, the more it will cost you.

i have  all i need  i raise my own pork, buy chickens  wholesale, the  fruits and  vegetables  cheap here, electric  and  water cheap i have  air  in the  bed  rooms, but  cool in the  days  use only fan, i have  lot  of  trees  around my house  banana, coconut

Okieboy wrote:

i have  all i need  i raise my own pork, buy chickens  wholesale, the  fruits and  vegetables  cheap here, electric  and  water cheap i have  air  in the  bed  rooms, but  cool in the  days  use only fan, i have  lot  of  trees  around my house  banana, coconut

Raising your own pork is good, but they won't let you do that in the city. I'd like to be able to buy the chicken wholesale though, how do you do that?  If you buy the local fruits and vegetables, it's cheap, but if you want something out of the ordinary, it will cost a bit more.  My Granny Smith apples are P25 (.62)each and that's about the most expensive fruit or vegetable I buy.  We also only have air con in the bedroom, that seems to be how most people do it around here.  I don't have lots of trees of any kind, but I'm glad that coconuts and bananas are pretty cheap here, being a tropical climate.  You can get them for next to nothing.  I think a coconut costs about P8 (.20) each.

i got  in contact with a supplier and  ask how many i have  to buy to get  price brake, one  i did buy from it  was 15 , but  a  meat market  moved in town and  i buy thru them now  but  i buy what they have  in the  freezer  that  day sometimes  20 kilo different days different  but  i buy the  whole  lot  because it  is  weighed before delivered Magnola class A P99 a kilo, as  far  as  banana i like  the  Cavendish export i have  neighbors who work at  Dole  and  they bring them to me, same  with pinapple, all free ,i have  coconut tree, duran, avacato

Hi!

Welcome to Expat.com!

To be honest, the retirement age of workers here is 60 (private) and 60-65 (government)..
If you want to earn at private firm, you may do business..or buy a land and raise a farm..if you will depend in your cash on hand..you should live at minimum cost and stay in the province that gives you a comfortable ambiance, clean, cold and quiet..there are some province that water consumption is free of charge, transpo. fee is very high..it depends..

If you are eager to stay here at enjoy your retirement, be wise on spending and dont be so generous to everyone.

Cheers!

waymar65 wrote:

My name Is Wayne Hall

hello:
      i am a american living here in the php on negros island...i am 71 yrs old and get my ssi retirement direct deposited into my BPI bank account...
  not many jobs here ...i taught school in bangkok for 8 years..i just finished teaching in march...i was offered another years work but i told them "no"...
  i live with a 20 yr old filipina who takes good care of me...if you have any questions ..please ask
regards
joe clough

Well Wayne Hall you should check out a couple of Expat.coms and ask questions there.  A good one from a guy that lives in that area is: philfaqs.com . He has just about anything you want to know about the PI and in that area.  I think he is also 66 years old.  Another good one liveinthephilippines.com, but he lives in Davao.  Of course there is mine: texaninthephilippines.com , but I live in Samar.  I know that Dave at PhilFAQs can help you plenty though.

but in u have to come here   u have to stay here  and then  and only then  will u be able to see  what u need to live here

I live on about 1k a month    but im kuriput   ( cheap)
I have  other mates here   that cant live on  less then 3k a month 

lifestyle  food choices hobbies medical issues  and lol  if u end up with a decent woman  or a terrible one   wow that  can really break your wallet and your budget   

province life aint  for everyone   and  in all  honesty  life here  isnt for everyone  either
If u are the sort of person that is high blood  and u blow up  at everything     then  it aint for u (  in saying that  i too   sometimes  have a little  bit of an aggressive nature   like that 4 guys drinking out there front of my house  until 12am   when i got cranky    yelled out  hoi  saba    and they left  ( that means   oi   your loud)   
I have mates here that live on even less then me.

Personally   i dont  do  luzon   i am a visaya's  sort of boy   but  once again  that is my personal  preference     u got to come here   move around   dont be stupid   and as someone else said   here  dont become a statistic      and yeah   u have no idea  how often  guys  here   end up  living  on the street  or in jail

Thanks for the nice input. I too have decided to live in Visayas in the near future.
I wanted to ask, as I have had heard of this often enough. In your opinion, how do guys end up in jail there? Are they victims of scams, or just doing something stupid and probably deserve what they get?
I have heard of some very corrupt cops there...

Thatawesomeguy wrote:

but in u have to come here   u have to stay here  and then  and only then  will u be able to see  what u need to live here

I live on about 1k a month    but im kuriput   ( cheap)
I have  other mates here   that cant live on  less then 3k a month 

lifestyle  food choices hobbies medical issues  and lol  if u end up with a decent woman  or a terrible one   wow that  can really break your wallet and your budget   

province life aint  for everyone   and  in all  honesty  life here  isnt for everyone  either
If u are the sort of person that is high blood  and u blow up  at everything     then  it aint for u (  in saying that  i too   sometimes  have a little  bit of an aggressive nature   like that 4 guys drinking out there front of my house  until 12am   when i got cranky    yelled out  hoi  saba    and they left  ( that means   oi   your loud)   
I have mates here that live on even less then me.

Personally   i dont  do  luzon   i am a visaya's  sort of boy   but  once again  that is my personal  preference     u got to come here   move around   dont be stupid   and as someone else said   here  dont become a statistic      and yeah   u have no idea  how often  guys  here   end up  living  on the street  or in jail

UJ wrote:

Well Wayne Hall you should check out a couple of Expat.coms and ask questions there.  A good one from a guy that lives in that area is: philfaqs.com . He has just about anything you want to know about the PI and in that area.  I think he is also 66 years old.  Another good one liveinthephilippines.com, but he lives in Davao.  Of course there is mine: texaninthephilippines.com , but I live in Samar.  I know that Dave at PhilFAQs can help you plenty though.

Hey Texan thanks for the input, and nice job on your site!

check any Expat.com where people have lived here for a long time.....
I love this country and love my partner    but if u want the real real truth
Expats have no rights here     none at all.
You can be locked up  for a very long time with no evidence if someone decides they do not like u...
U can be set up  yes   but  those that are   are usually doing something silly anyway...
100 million people think u are just money...  u will hate it somedays   love it some other days..
stay away from the cities    keep a cool head   and keep a low profile    and hope to god that the woman u choose  is the right woman for u     and  stick to her  like wood on glue

Okieboy wrote:

Hello,

Your place sounds nice with the trees and growing your own pigs. How far out of Davao city proper do you live? Do you drive or use local transportation when going into town? Are the trees around and close to your house, do you have a private well, for water? Are you completely retired or do you do odd and ends type jobs, or travel back and fourth, i.e. work a job in the USA part time or part of the year?

Sincerely.