Returning to UK to live and work

Hi :)
I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. I was born in Lancashire and my family emigrated to Australia in 1970, then I got married and moved to the USA in 2002. I've just recently returned from London and fell in love. It was the hardest thing I've ever done to get on that plane at Heathrow and return to the US. I am not ashamed to say I did shed a tear or two as the plane took off. The UK felt more like home to me and I do so want to return and live out the rest of my life in the country of my birth.  As I have a British Passport I don't see this as being a problem, although at 49 years of age I'm wondering how easy it will be for me to find a job.

My main concern is housing and employment. I will be saving up for the next year or so to give myself enough funds to live off for a while ( minimum 6 months) during which time I hope to get a job. I've worked in the medical industry all of my life, working as Unit Secretary in hospitals, medical receptionist, customer service/date entry for pathology labs etc etc.

My biggest decision is where to live.  My remaining family still live in Lancashire, but I haven't seen them since 1970, so asking if I can stay with them would be a bit awkward..lol. I have friends who live near Shrewsbury and judging from what I've seen and read it looks like a beautiful place to live, with good transport links and job prospects. I'm not interested in nightlife, but I do love great scenery and historic locations, and I love going for long walks. My question is this...when I get there I won't have a job or a place to live, so was looking at a holiday let or possibly 2 depending on the maximum length of time I can stay in one.  That would give me a home base until I can get a job.  What are the requirements when renting a house though? If I wanted to rent a house or apartment would they want me to be employed?  Could I give them 6 months rent in advance and would that satisfy them? I can provide references from the US with regards to my rental history but would that suffice??

I know there is not much I can do from here, but I have the next 12 months to make sure everything is correct and do all the research I need to, to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.

So I'm hoping someone here can offer me some advice and any suggestions?  All will be gratefully received !  :)

Hi and welcome to Expat.com WhoFan63!

I hope the other members will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

Are you still looking for accommodation in Shrewsbury? I live in Shrewsbury and might be able to help. Please let me have any more details. Lynne