Advices on Cost of living

Hi,

my name is Pablo and Im 26 years old with master degree in administration. I have several years of experience in hospitality. Im moving to KL in January 2013. Im a single (not married), but im planning to bring my gf there soon.

I get the offer for 4.5k USD (excluisive tax)per month - how much is that net? I have contract for 2 years at the hotel in the center of KL plus allowances. I read a lot of opinions about cost of living there, and there is hundreads of opinions about that what is enough for life there. I know its depends of personalities, life style etc. but can someone answer mi for following questions? i will be grateful for any help, because i dont have much tome to prepare.im going to kl 1st week of january.

1. What are the approximate costs of accommodation per month, for 1 bedroom apartment/condominium with kitchen in the city center or 15 minutes from the petronas towers.? Can i find something simple for abouve 1.500MYR?

2. What are the costs associated with the working visa? im planning to bring my gf there as soon as possible, so I'd like to ask can she get 3 months visa in the airport? and then extend for next 3 months? and is that around 13k MYR salary including benefits its enough for 2 young people in KL?

3. Employer told me that i have benefits + 4.5k USD salary per month(exluisive tax)

HAZARD/ INCONVENIENCES: US DOLLARS 450.00 (Monthly)- what does it mean? they will give me every month 450USD more to my salary or only if i will have some accident? I dont understand that. Please advise.

also CAR ALLOWANCES: US DOLLARS 610.00 (Monthly)
what if i dont have a car and even driving livence? i will lost this alowance or they will give me this 610usd anyway? what should i said regarding that allowance, that im planning to have a car and do it driving licence? or i dont have to and they will give me that anyway (coz i understand they are not paying tax for that) im lost ;)

Please advise is it hard to bring my loves if shes not my family? and we are not married? and what are the chances that we will be happy there togrther for around 13k MYR per month? is that enough for us? we dont have a baby.

We are simple and we dont need a lot, we are living now for much much less money, but i dont know... what are the cost of living i KL? :)

Thank you and i hope to hear anyone soon.

regards,
pablo

Hello Pablo.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new thread has been created from your message on the Kuala Lumpur for better interaction.

Do not hesitate to read the other threads on Cost of living in Kuala Lumpur.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Please find my answer

1. What are the approximate costs of accommodation per month, for 1 bedroom apartment/condominium with kitchen in the city center or 15 minutes from the petronas towers.? Can i find something simple for abouve 1.500MYR?
- This will depend on your luck. But normally it will cost at least 2k near that area.

2. What are the costs associated with the working visa? im planning to bring my gf there as soon as possible, so I'd like to ask can she get 3 months visa in the airport? and then extend for next 3 months? and is that around 13k MYR salary including benefits its enough for 2 young people in KL?
- There will be no extension of social visit in Malaysia. But you can always re-enter Malaysia (go to singapore or Thailand).
If 13K is just a base salary, then it should be more than enough.

I would advice you to request HR related info (salary, allowance etc) from your employee since this matter depends on company policy.

thank you very much for your replay. i would like to ask you do you know how about visa for my gf? she is filipino citizen, and i think she will get entry visa only for one month yes? is that correct? i understand that if she want to stay longer, she has to go to singapour every month and extend the visa for next one month yes? if there is other solution that she can stay longer? we are not married so there is no official connections between us, but i quessits not help if i have resident visa? is it possibly to apply in philippines in the malaysian embassy for  3 month visa?

how far is btw to singapur and how much it cost to go there and back, there are some extra fees for re-entry malaysia?

i dont know what to do... how can i arrange her stay in malaysia. i understand that she can stay in malaysia if she will find a work and get a work permit visa, but going every month to singapour i dont know if its good idea? how far is it? please advise

im so confused, and im going to kl for 3 weeks..

thank you
pablo

To answer your question:

only for one month yes? is that correct?
Yes

i understand that if she want to stay longer, she has to go to singapour every month and extend the visa for next one month yes?
Yes

if there is other solution that she can stay longer?
Unfortunately no unless she has valid visa (work, school, dependency, etc)

we are not married so there is no official connections between us, but i quessits not help if i have resident visa?
No.

is it possibly to apply in philippines in the malaysian embassy for  3 month visa?
No

how far is btw to singapur and how much it cost to go there and back, there are some extra fees for re-entry malaysia?
Entering Malaysia is free. From KL, to singapore, it is about 4 - 5 hours by road or 45 min by flight.

Hi assuming your offer is usd - beware the dollar sign is often used for RM can get confusing! - then sufficient salary and fair for a 26 year old

Your gf won't realistically be able to do visa runs for long. As a fillipino "eyebrows" will be raised by immigration and they will not let her in too many times - they will assume she is illegally working. You could get married and get a visa that way. Although maybe a bit extreme. Visa runs won't work for long. You could try getting a 6 month visa if you can show you will fully support her. That is a possibility but you need to show assets/income to support her and also a flight ticket home after 6 months. That is your best bet - I helped a friend years ago with that wasn't that hard.