Registering at the Policia Federal

Hi Y'all,

I'm trying to setup an appointment to register at the Policia Federal with my permanent VIPER visa.

I go to this site:  https://servicos.dpf.gov.br/sincreWeb/

When I try and fill out all of my details, there are some problems:
-Doesn't have my classification for what I do for a living.  Strange...
-The ''local e data de desembarque'' stated on the paper the Brazilian Consulate gave me with the visa is a week later than I will actually arrive.
-Doesn't let me add my wife's full cell phone number because it needs that extra 9 from being in São Paulo (system only allows 8 digits).
-My commercial address is in the US and the system doesn't let me list any commercial address outside of Brazil.

----->Will these minor things matter when I register at the PF?  The bloody system doesn't let me put in the right data, and I'm afraid to put in anything that does not correspond to the Furmulário de Pedido de Visto that the Consulate attached along with the visa.

Hi Mrcat2,

For your wife's cellular phone number enter the number DDD + 8 digit phone number (without the 9 in front) this is just a new thing in São Paulo and the Federal Police will know that there's a 9 in front anyway.

Regarding the category code for your occupation, what do you do that isn't already on their list? Isn't there some other kind of category you could technically fit into, or is the problem that you just don't understand what the categories are? If there really is not category that you might fit into then click on the 4th from the bottom of the list OUTRA OCUPAÇÃO NÃO CLASSIFICADA.

There's no way around the Brazilian address I'm afraid. Do you already have a job to go to here in Brazil or will you be self-employed? If you're going to be self-employed then you should use your wife's address, since that will be your residence. If you're fortunate to already have a job then it's the address of your employer here in Brazil that they want.

Anything else you need to know just ask or you can PM me if you want.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi William,

Thanks for the reply. 

1)  Understood about the number, will just leave it without the 9.

2)  The Brazilian Consulate put the ''local e data de desembarque'' as December 20, which is wrong.  However, they never did ask me when I was going to Brazil, I'm assuming this doesn't really matter so long as I enter before the 90 days and I have my sheet showing the actual date I enter from the airline.

3)  I'm entering Brazil on a VIPER spousal visa.  My wife had to sign a declaration that she would support me financially etc.  That being said, the Brazilian Consulate lists on the page they gave me for registration at the PF that I am a business consultant and says my company name and its US address.

----->This is why I am confused, because the PF system won't let me list the address that's already stated on that page by the consulate, and they don't have the job description of business/consultant anywhere. 

----->According to the PF system, it's not mandatory to even fill out my commercial address, so can I just leave it blank and let them see the page the Consulate gave me?  Or I can take your advice and just put my wife's address as I will be working from home.  What do you think is best?

mrcat,
I arrived in Brazil few months back and had some of the same issues as you. Dont worry.

- For occupation, just put it as approximate as you can.

- For the date, dont worry had the same issue, no one complained about it. They probably just used the one you had approximated on your visa request or something like that. It doesn't matter.

Nothing is final. I would advise you to fill it up as best you can and just bring that paper with you, bring your questions and if needed, bring someone who speaks portuguese.

They are pretty fast at PF in Sao Paulo, hope it is the same for you in Rio. Quite surprising sometimes.

Good luck. Dont forget your original visa request form (consulate in Montreal forgot to gave it to me, was a real hassle to get another copy from governement).

Emilie

Hi again Mrcat2,

You're right, date and location of entry are unimportant provided that you enter within the 90 period prescribed by law. The Feds probably won't even raise an eyebrow since people change plans all the time.

In absence of any specific category for consultant you would be correct in using the "OUTRA OCUPAÇÃO NÃO CLASSIFICADA"

Right, if you are going to be working from home anyway just use your residential address as your commercial address too. The Feds don't want to know about your business address at home, they're more concerned about how to reach you here at any time and thats why they want both residential and business address.

Cheers,

Thanks guys...

Original Visa Request Form?  Hope we didn't open another can of worms!

All I received from the Consulate was the visa plastered into my passport and a double sided page called the ''formulario de pedido de visto'' with all of my information for the visa.

I assume that paper is the necessary one to bring, right Emilie?

its the formulario de pedido de visto...thats what it means in portuguese :)

Awesome!  Thank you so much again for your help.  I'm sure I'll be pestering a bit more in the near future. 

Thank you!  I feel more comfortable having heard your experience and knowledge!

Also, I can't believe they forgot to give that sheet to you...that's gotta be PRETTY darn important!  What a messup!

Hi guys,

I actually arrived today (earlier than expected) and I have a question...

Upon going through immigration with the VIPER permanent visa, the lady didn't give me any receipt of anything.  I am used to receiving the ticket de embarque that shows the flight information, that white little sheet.  When I asked her why she didn't give it to me, she said it was because I was now permanent and it was not necessary.  I asked if she was absolutely sure I didn't need this, and she said yes.

Is that right?  I won't need that little white slip when I go to the Policia Federal?

Thanks so much!

Hi mrcat2,

When you applied for your VIPER permanent visa that's entered in the system. Now you need to go to the Federal Police and apply for your RNE/CIE and you will be given a protocol a slip of paper that has your photograph and is stamped by the Federal Police. That's all you're going to ever need until your permanent Cartiera de Identidade Estrangeiro (CIE) is issued. It will clearly state that it is valid as official identification. This you must carry with you at all times (original).

You will need to keep that up-to-date, so before the expiry date shown on it you will have to go back to the Federal Police and get it extended (prorrogação). Any further questions PM me.

Cheers,

Thanks William.  As always, you rock.  Takes a load off my mind to know that little white slip isn't necessary for my perm visa.

Already schedule a time to go in to the Federal Police and take care of business.

Thank you so much.  Seriously.  =)

Then you're all ready to rock n roll....... once you get the protocol for your RNE and the SINCRE that goes with it then hustle off to the Regional Superintendency of the Ministry of Labor with both documents, two more 3X4 photos and apply for your Carteira de Trabalho. It will be issued and stamped valid for the 180 day period on your protocol. You will probably need to go back to the Feds and get the protocol stamped a couple of times, they never have the ID card ready when they say they will. Each time you get the protocol extended you will then have to take the work permit back to the Min. of Labor and get it re-stamped too.

Nothing's easy around here..... welcome to the big waiting room we call Brazil

Cheers,

All went well at the PF!  Woohoo! 

Another question:  I went to the Ministerio de Trabalho today in São Paulo to get my CTPS for work.  I have all the necessary paperwork, and when I arrived they told me I have to arrive at 7:30am and pickup a ''senha'' to be helped. 

Is that your experience?  Just seemed so weird, I thought I could just walk in with my docs and take care of business.

Hi mrcat2,

Did you go to the Regional Superintendency of the Ministry of Labor located at Rua Martins Fontes No. 109 - Centro, São Paulo?

If not, you were in the wrong location and they probably misunderstood what you were asking about.

If you were at the correct address and got that information there then they are working on a first come first served basis and yes you will have to show up at the time they have specified in order to get your number (senha).

They will take all the information and you will be able to pick up your Carteira de Trabalho generally within ten days, depending on their workload. I got mine while I waited, but don't expect the same thing to happen in your case.

Cheers,

Hi William,

Yes, I went to that exact address and let me tell you it took long enough to find!  Crazy streets!

The first lady with whom I spoke, told me I could only come on January 7, but that is because I miscommunicated, as I told her ''estou aqui para retirar minha carteira de trabalho.''

The second lady with whom I spoke, told me to come back next wed, thurs, or fri very early to get a ticket.  I showed her exactly what I needed to do as a foreigner and the papers I had. 

I suppose I will go in late next week and bite the bullet for the 7:30am roll call to get my ticket. 

Thanks for your help, will update you and have a coffee early next week on your behalf.

Cream and two spoons of sugar in mine, OK.

Good luck

Hey there William,

All went well yesterday, got the CTPS and CPF.  Took 6 hours to gather up all the docs they wanted, but it worked!

Do note:  Even though my perm visa was issued with my mom's maiden name, the PF used her last name that I had put on my student visa ages before.  Also, they used my mom's last name instead of maiden name for the CPF. 

So, even though they should probably be her maiden name, at least all the docs are going to be congruous.

That's great news, I'm so happy that everything went well. If the difference in your mother's name from married to maiden name still concerns you there is a procedure called "retificação de nome" that you can go through for your RNE and CPF should you desire to go through that hassle. I really don't think it will be a problem even if you leave things as they are. The only thing to remember if you don't change things is that any time in the future you need to complete any documents that will require your mother's name (such as registering the birth of a child here for example) that you should continue to use the name that appears now on your RNE/CIE and CPF in order to not further confuse things. For all the bureaucracy and red tape here it doesn't appear that there's an equal level of common sense and logic when it comes to the public servants that deal with these matters. Sometimes seems that they can't see what's right under their noses or add two plus two to come up with four.

Cheers,

Very useful post!:)

I have my VIPER and am all set to go based on marriage of greater than 5 years. But I am going somewhat ahead of my wife. When I go to the Federal Police, can I go alone or with a friend? I am ok on language, etc. But is it a requirement that my wife go with me to the Federal Police?

I strongly suggest it. I do know they usually will ask for your spouses ID (of course authenticated - at a Cartorio). They interviewed my spouse in person. It is better to be safe than sorry no matter what they tell you on the phone.

http://yoursmiles.org/ksmile/flag6/brazil-flag-waving-smile.gif

Matt V. - Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil
Visit my Personal Blog - brazilbs.blogspot.com

Hi rex55,

Sorry, I'm a bit confused (old guy) about exactly what you're intending to do at the Federal Police. Are you just going there to go through the registration process for your RNE (Registro Nacional de Estrangeiro)? If that's the case then you can go alone if you have all the documents necessary and the form filled out. If you're comfortable with Portuguese and sure there's going to be no misunderstandings then you're the only one who has to show up. If you're not 100% with the language then it's always better to take somebody who is.

NOTE: All foreigners who enter the country on a temporary or permanent basis (other than on a tourist visa) are required to apply for their RNE within a period of THIRTY (30) days of arrival. They must advise the Federal Police of any change of address within THIRTY (30) days of any move.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

>>Are you just going there to go through the registration process for your RNE (Registro Nacional de Estrangeiro)? If that's the case then you can go alone if you have all the documents necessary and the form filled out. If you're comfortable with Portuguese and sure there's going to be no misunderstandings then you're the only one who has to show up.

Thank you, yes, as you describe is exactly the case. I have fluent Portuguese, plus I can take a Brazilian friend. I just won't have my wife, who will still be in USA for a little while. But it seems from your knowledgeable reply that I should be fine in registering and seeking the RNE. That's good news to save my wife an extra trip to Brazil.

I am just a little concerned from the earlier reply from usmc_mv, however. He indicated that I'd need a copy of my wife's id, that his wife was interviewed on the spot, and so forth. Thoughts? Is this the difference between someone married <5 years (usmc_mv, possibly?) and someone married >5 years (my case)?

Hi Rex55,

My situation is a little different than yours. For one I am on a tourist visa but in the permanency process based on marriage to a Brazilian. You have a permanent visa. My suggestion is this - take your wife and wife's ID to the Brazilian consulate and have it certified or authenticated. It is at a very inflated price $20USD. Here in Brazil at my favorite nationwide establishment (Cartorio) you will only pay
If you do not live near a Brazilian consulate you can mail it in as well, but take the return time in account.

I have just learned to go the extra mile to save myself the extra trip after they tell me I need something else. I like to drown them in paperwork like they do me. It actually has become VERY effective and my transportation costs are 50% less than they were before I moved.

Hope this helps. James probably can clarify the RNE process better than I can as I am nowhere near that process yet.

One more thing. Make sure you apply for a CPF if you do not already have one. Without one you will be limited on what you can do. You can get one the same day at the Receita Federal where ever you will be living. Refer to the 'Gringos Guide to Survival in Brazil' which is located on top of the forum thread list.

Good luck!

http://yoursmiles.org/ksmile/flag6/brazil-flag-waving-smile.gif

Matt V. - Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil
Visit my Personal Blog - brazilbs.blogspot.com

The RNE process doesn't require your wife's ID. You already have your visa. You simply are required to register within thirty days of arrival in Brazil. You will need to go to the Policia Federal website and schedule your visit at the Regional Superintendency (Departamento de Estrangeiros) nearest where you live. Follow the online steps to fill out the forms and generate the GRU (Guia de Recolhimento da União) for the fee you will have to pay.

www.dpf.gov.br/servicos/estrangeiro

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thank you, everyone. Very helpful. I'll move forward now.

I came across this thread after the discussion had ended, but wanted to clarify something that was mentioned here. Like the original poster, my Brasilian documents have my mother's married surname instead of her maiden name. I've been living in Brasil for 13 years and it has never caused a problem (was married here, pay taxes here, have bought and sold several properties, have renewed my RNE, etc.), But I have been asked about it couple of times and I just tell whomever asks that although it sounds strange, my parents actually had the same surnames before they were married. Other than a puzzled look, there isn't much they can say after that.

That just makes me laugh....... how in the name of all that's holy it could sound strange to a Brazlian that your parents had the same surname prior to marriage.

About 1/4 of the population here has the surname like Silva, da Silva, Silva e Costa and its many dirivatives, the rest have Souza and de Souza, Cruz, Carvalho. The odds of marrying someone who has the same last name as you do here in Brazil are much greater than every other country on earth with the exception of China where everybody is Chin, Chang or Lee!!!!  LOLOLOLOLOL

Your experience just made my day, thanks so very much for sharing it.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

So true, lol. One of my neighbour's surname is Sousa Sousa.

Please help! I am trying to register with the federal police in Brazil, but my mom's name on my visa application form (formulario de pedido de visto) is different than what the police have on file from when i registered last year (last year they had her married name, this time it's just her maiden name). The police won't let me register until I produce a document saying the visa application form was in error. Does ANYONE know how to fix this problem? Thanks!

You'll probably need to obtain a certified copy of your mother's Marriage Certificate which shows her maiden name and hopefully married name too. You will need to explain to the Federal Police that the error was due to the different procedures between Brazil (where everything is based on married name) and in your country (where everything is based on maiden name). That should be sufficient to get them to do the name change (retificação de nome) on your visa application.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks for the information. I went again to the police today with my birth certificate and they said it is not sufficient. I am supposed to get an "errata" document from the Brazilian Consulate and/or the Foreign Ministry Service. I haven't yet tried contacting them - that's the next hill to climb.

I have heard from other people that a birth certificate is sufficient. I don't know why the particular office I'm dealing with is not satisfied with this document. My loss, I suppose. Thanks again for the info.

Hi there - I have a friend who has a temporary 2 year work visa for Brazil, but he was unable to register with the federal police in Rio de Janeiro within the 30 day period, because there weren't any time slots available online, and when he went to the airport they said he would have to turn up on the day 'when the 30 days is up' - which was when he would be back in the UK for Christmas unfortunately. So, anyway, he will try and get an appointment for early January when he is back in Rio from the UK. I understand that he will now have to pay an additional fine (multa)  when he turns up after the 30 day period, so my question is -what is the name/code of the fine he has to pay on the DPF website? In order for him to print off the correct GRU and pay it before he turns up...

Many thanks!

He should have gone BEFORE he traveled, as they are required to fit him in to their schedule so he would not exceed the 30 day limit imposed by law. The Policia Federal really get nasty about not doing so, and he may be in for some problems when he returns and tries to get an appointment in January. I'd suggest that he simply report to the DPF as soon as he arrives, tries to explain the situation and then hope they take mercy on him. You should warn him about this ASAP.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

Ok thanks James. He has an appointment for January and the despachantes at the airport were telling him it should be ok because Rio DPF have such a big back-log that they understand that no-one has been able to get an appointment. But I will warn him! Do you by chance know what form (GRU) he needs to complete to pay the fine for late registration?

Actually, he may not need to pay a fine, that is usually only for overstays.

If there is a fine they'll tell him at that time and probably will even print off the GRU for him. What he needs to worry about paying is the GRUs for registering in the RNE.

Hi I am also trying to figure out how to register with the police. But I have a problem (maybe?). I don't know where my visa request form is. I was never told by the consulate to keep it so I did not keep track of it, and I have no idea where that form is. Now I learn that I needed to keep it. Currently, I have arrived in Brazil and I don't know what to do. I am supposed to stay in Brazil for 9 months studying at a university.

Can I register without the form? Or is there a way I can get a copy of it online?

Thank you!!

If you have a student visa it should be attached to your passport. At least that is how the tourist visa is. Look a few pages from the beginning.

Jim

Hi James,

thank you so much for your great help above!
Same situation here: permanent Visa, needed to register, was impossible to get an appointment in time, now I am depending on the mercy of the DPF to consider my case.  :o

On the phone they told me there would be no consequences except the fine which calculates from how many days you are over the 30 days - something like R$ 8,5 a day. But although my 30 days ended in the beginning of February, I could't get an appointment in Rio before April 26!

My question is if I couldn't argue that they should let me off the hook regarding the fine, because they weren't able to provide me with an earlier appointment?

Also I wanted to know if I do have to report to the office at Galeão or is it also possible to go offices in the city?

My wife and I speak some Portuguese and thought our cute 7-months-old daughter would also maybe score some points with the officers there. But would you still recommend to go there with a Brazilian?

My plan is to just go there on Monday morning without an appointment to state my case. I have all the documents and photos and copies and paid GRU etc. already here.

Thanks again and best regards!
Max

Instead of Arguing about the fine. I would process your paperwork for permanency as soon as you can get in. If you give then any problems or disagreements they may decide to ask for more documents. Your main concern right now is the permanency. They may not even worry about the fine. If they do I would pay it and move on. Yes, you should take a Portuguese speaker with you.

You could try another office of PF to see if you can do it earlier. Also, you might try just going there.

Jim