Help me to choose between district 8th and district 5th

Hi all
i need further information about corvin apartments  8th district and 8th district in general like is it safe and i heard that is the new city center and  surrounded by mall,gym,cinema,bars,restaurants is that true ???

i need to choose between 2 flats corvin  promenade 8th district or O utca 5th district behind the opera house

i'm a student at bme university so corvin promenade look good but i don't wanna be far from downtown but on google maps corvin look like on the edge of district 5

so i need your advice, it's very important to me
thanks  :)

Hello gergi.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll be advised by other members soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

i hope that too
thanks Aurélie :)

Hi gergi,
Do you have a precise street address for the Corvin apartment?
The area I know a little of is around the modernised cinema area at Corvin köz, which is near Corvin-negyed metro station. This spot is OK, near a major crossroads with good tram and metro links and MuseumOMArts nearby. There are certainly tourist apartments around there. But personally I wouldn't be attracted too much further east. Safety probably OK, but you'd be heading into local rather more than familiar tourist territory.

O utca in 5 district is definitely at the heart of downtown activity. At least either end is. Personally I have a down on that street for accomodation, simply because its long, very narrow, has few nice views, and nothing much actually happens in it. But everything happens within a few yards of it! And probably you won't be seeking a view anyway.

Your BME Uni is presumably across the river between Petőfi and Szabadság bridges. Corvin would be the quickest location to reach there. But transport is excellent in BP and you could easily use tram from Teréz krt if living at O ut.

Cost/size might be a deciding factor. I imagine O may be more expensive than Corvin. Finally, the best choice can only be made by viewing flats first in person. If you get the chance to do so, then do so.

hi angol
thanks a lot for the information 
cordia project is between 4 streets (ferenc krt, prater st , ulloi ut, szigony ut ) the flat i'm talking about is in cordia city garden  right next to the Corvin Promenade, between Futó and Nagytemplom Streets
cordia project is a full project (mall,gym,etc..)
the flat is 40 m2 450euro/month
i'm totally new to the city so i prefer to be in such area and i heard that attracts foreign students

unfortunately i just had  been told that the flat at o utca is already been rented but i'm still looking for another options,there is a lot off options at Andrassy út so what about it ?? 

if i got the visa earlier i will do your advice to visit first otherwise i have to make reservation before coming to budapest 

and another question about use the public transportation at night?
excuse me for my english :)

Hi,

First off, when a Budapestian says "Metro", they mean subway. The fastest and most convenient "backbone" of the public transportation network, always a win to be close.
Second to it is the 4-6 tram service, slightly slower, but 24-7. (reaches BME.)

The "Corvin" project is a few blocks of very posh brand new buildings surrounded by slums. I have no idea how that works out in practice, but the public transport connectivity is great, with BME just across the bridge by 4-6. (BME campus is pretty big though, 4-6 is best for Electrical Engineering, IT, CS, some of Mechanical Engineering, but sucks for Architects, Civil Engineers, Chemists...)

Andrassy ut is where the embassies are. It's like Broadway with Oktogon being Times Square. Must be super-expensive!

gergi,
Corvin City Garden sounds OK. Just a short walk from busy public areas and there are new hotels so should be a calm and amiable spot, though I haven't visited it.

You quote 450 euro for a 40sqm flat. That sounds expensive to me for the area. Is this a private landlord rental or in some kind of luxury condominium designed for foreigners? And will you be the only tenant?

Usually, private rental involves monthly rent plus a monthly common cost (közös költség), paid by all tenants in a building. Utility bills are normally extra on top of that.

For a studio apartment with a private landlord in an old/traditional tenement building I'd expect to pay 55000 HUF to 75000 HUF basic rent only maximum, unless it's luxury. But, of course, the Corvin project is all new.

Andrassy avenue is where you do pay expensive prices whatever the apartment is like. If cost is no problem, fine. Otherwise look for the side streets off Andrassy.

Transport - I'm sure szocske is right. Tram 4-6 is 24 hours and invaluable to late night revellers.

hiii
thanks guys for your help i realy appreciate that
i'm the only  tenant ,angol as you say it's a new building so we can consider it a luxury flat,and for the price i thought it's reasonable before i had the bad news about the utilities will cost me about 30.700 huf (140 euro ??? )and that is not reasonable!!!

the location sound good as szocske says by using 4-6 tram cause i'm mechanical engineering student and in another hand  metro cover all the disrict 5 in maximum 15 minutes

if you know any website to rent a flat please tell me
thanks

ingatlan.com is your website.
Click on the British flag then click on 'detailed search'.
Fill in all your requirements - particularly district(s) and price - and off you go.

The site is a portal for very many Budapest agencies. You'll probably be overwhelmed by the number of flats available.

If you get bored with whole district searches, click on map location of an individual flat and you'll get a map covered in dots. Click on any dot for a pop-up then click on 'To let, apartment' and you'll get all the flats available in that street.

Photos can sometimes deceive. Descriptions are often fuller if you click on the Hungarian flag for an individual flat - then you'll need Google for an appalling translation!

If you want to deal with a english speaking person homemanagement.hu should be your choice ! They have apartments in the "good" areas downtown and all info is in english, fair prices!