UK expat looking for advice please....

Hi,

New to this but could really do with some help please!

I work in the motor trade which in the UK pays very well but I am very interested in a new life in Muscat.

I have recieved the following offer and looked at some potential costs (searched around the net) and I make the cost of living very different to some examples on here so would really appreciate some guidance please....

1) Property Prices - I will be working in the central area so need to live pretty close (The wave or MSQ looked nice) but 3 bed unfurnished properties all seem to around 1400 OMR upwards.

2) Electricity for such a property, I was working on around 100 OMR (A/C will be on constantly etc) but only info I can find seems to relate to small properties

3) Telephone and Internet, looking around this seems to be a combined 60 OMR?

4) Mobile phone - I have an Iphone and want to unlock it and bring it over, will use it to call back to UK occasionally so was working around 50OMR a month?

5) Car rental and Insurance - Can I get a half decent rental (small 4x4) for around 200OMR a month? with insurance say around 300 OMR a month?

6) Family of 4 - kids will still want some UK foods and appreciate they will come at a cost - 300 OMR a month

7) Schooling - The british school has prices on its website and for my 6 and 12 year old it seems it will cost nearly 800 OMR a month!

Sorry for the long post but some of the figures I have found differ so much to what people are reccomending on here - in particular property and school, that I could really do with some advice from somebody maybe who has or is doing it please

Thanks in advance!

Hello Scuderia Shields.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, do not hesitate to read the other threads on Cost of living in Muscat.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi

Did you accepted the offer. We are also in similar delima. If you have accepted, are the expenses equal to what you had written.

Dear Tinkle455!

The threat was created almost 11 months ago. I really doubt whether you'd be able to get a response, however you can start a new topic and im sure alot of people will be there to assist you on your queries.

Hi,

The Expenses totally depends on your needs/requirements and number of family members joining you in Muscat.

A 2 BHK accommodation would cost you around OMR 350- OMR 800 a month

House Hold Expenditures can be around OMR 300- OMR 800 a month

A car on rent can be around OMR 200- OMR 600 a month

Mobile Expenses can be around OMR 50- OMR 200 a month

Electricity & Water bill can be around OMR 20- OMR 50 a month

Hope this suffices. You can also reach me at [email protected]

Thanks!

Hi
Love to be in Muscat. So clean. so friendly people.:)

1.3BHK will cost you 600-700 OMR at a decent location
2. Electricity and water for the property will be around 50 OMR
3. Internet and Telephone about 50 OMR
4.Mobile about OMR 100
5. Car rental around 400, so better purchase on monthly EMI, this will cost you about OMR 200/month
6.Food and beverages about 300-400 OMR
7.Schooling, fees range from OMR 120 to OMR 300/month/child

I hope my response will give you some rough estimate of your monthly expenses.