Oooops computer crashed so putting it here.

I live in the CHARENTE, which is part of the greater Poitier Charente dept.

Ruffec is the nearest "town" to me, having some 4000 inhabitants, it has just about everything you could desire, if you are of the retiring age such as I.

We moved here six years ago having both retired, my wife was somewhat worried about the complete change in lifestyles, ( although we had holidayed here a few times).

Our linguistic skills were very poor, just the "merci" type of thing, we, or should I say ,I, took no notice of all those that expounded the virtues of learning the language, at school I was terrible in all subjects and my preferred way of learning is to be SHOWN the way --NOT ---- taught via books etc.

Anyway, a few arguements with my wife eventually changed her mind and like me she thought ----" what the hell ----sink or swim----  As I say, six years later we have a fair knowledge of the language, we have very friendly neighbours both young and old, and each December, now i have passed seventy, we are invited to the local ---Repas de Noel ---- or christmas dinner for the older fogies of the village, we are the ONLY English people ther so our linguistic skills are at the forefront.

Having attended the  meal, ( six to eight courses with wine for every course lasting between six and eight hours) interspursed with local musicians etc it is truly a great event. This coming year will be our fourth visit and we are getting accepted by the locals, so much so they approach and insist we sit with them, which is a very pleasant affair.

During the better weather I am divided between keeping a veggie garden alive, gardening / lawn mowing,( we have over an acre of land which can take me hours to mow), and this year i have just planted nine fruit trees --- and a gardener  I am NOT.

Fishing is another pastime, we have the river Charente running fairly close by and plenty of places to sit and relax for a while  whilst the fish are secretly laughing at you. I have developed this ------   hope to catch something ----rather than a lot of my fellow fishermen ---- expecting to catch somehing --- which means I am not disappointed if I don't get a nibble, its more plan of seeing Coypu swim by, and the Kingfishers whizzing past.

Being retired makes all these things possible, plus the fact , when a passer by stops to ask if I have caught anything my French skills are once again put into practice, but we always seem to undersand most of what is said.

Then of course is the favourite of mine ------ The Plat Du Jour ---   a lunchtime meal. We have several favourite small restuarants we visit, we are known  to the patrons who ALWAYS welcome us, Ok they want my money BUT , they have such a nice way of earning it.

Living here as been one wild dream, I can't think of a thing we could say to dampen our life here, but I think thats because we WANT to live here and we have no wish to return to the U.K.

Remember one thing, France is nearly three times bigger than England, so it takes THREE TIMES LONGER   to visit, which means you think you are driving miles and miles  and are possibly lost, when in fact it just takes a little longer.

Plus you have to realise I am talking as a retired person, so have plenty of time to travel, I am also on a "fixed income" which means I don't have the money to throw away enjoying myself, --- BUT ---- because we have to --be aware --- of our income it means  we plan and enjoy ourselves.

The only thing I would advise you do is, don't THINK you want come here, you have to REALLY WANT to live in another country, don't hedge your bets and have a  hidden cave back in the UK,(or wherever) because you might just think if you fall at the first hurdle you'll have this urge to give up and go back whence you came.

Finally --- please don't hesitate to contact me should you want info or help --- but that should only apply if you are moving around my area--- good luck abientot.

Hello RichardP.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. :)

Aurélie