Life in Ecuador

Hi, if you have any specific questions let me know, I work in Murali Hostal in Guayaquil, id be glad to sit down with you and give you an Americans point of view to life in Ecuador if you stop by, Dom

What is murali hostal

Can one tell  me what are option for cell phone service in cuenca and how much it will cost.

Hello Domenick11,

A new thread has been created as from your post on the Cuenca forum for better visibility.

Thank you,
Christine

thanks, my avocation is to spread the use of solar power for subsistance fishing boats, so we will be using the van to and from Cuenca to wander up and down the Pacific to Panama. 

Cuenca will be the base and is close to my wife's soul.

chuck gable

Oh yes, great question, where do we get solar pannels? anyone have experience with it? costs? instalation?

Dom I know you know a lot about real estate in Ecuador. There is a Developement called Las Olas going up just south of Bahia on 1500 acres, that will have 2golf courses, 2hotels, yacht club, health clinic, stores to shop, horse stables, condos, golf course homes and beachfront homes. They have a founders club going on right now, that is to collect upfront money and help build the developement. 18 beachfront homes, 10 golf course homes and 24 condos units. When finished complex  is supposed to have over 4000 homes and condos done in 6 phases over 15 years. You put $10,000 down to hold your lot and then have 60 days to come see and pick out your lot. If you decide to purchase you give them a deposit and pay the balance over three years. Beachfront lots with 2000 sq ft home are $200,000 but with founders 5% discount on monthly payments you end up moly paying $160,000. If you don't like developement they will refund your $10,000 in the sixty day period. Golf course homes end up being $120,000 for 1,500 sq ft and condos $69,000 for 900 sq ft.
I am here in Bahia looking at the property and it is nice, but have concerns about contract. They are not using a trust for the 52 founders club members, 18 beachfront homes, 10 golf course homes and 24 condos. They are just giving the 52 founders title to the phase 1 property if the developement fails. Although I am sure the property would be worth more than I invested, I do not know how easy it would be to coordinate 52 people to sell the property to get my money back.
What are your views on this, when I asked the developer this he said that they didn't want to be tied down to a trust which safe guards the investor. He said that the perks they were giving founders club members, 10% off of future property purchases there, first right to buy other new listings there, free rental car when needed, lifetime golf membership, no membership fees to name a few. Also said that they were willing to take this stand because they knew they would have no problem selling them. Also said that maybe founders club was not for me and to purchase here after it was started, but would obviously cost more. $200,000 for beachfront and $150,000 for golf course home to start and going up from there.
I just don't know if this is a good business deal on my part. If the property happens it will be very nice.
Your thoughts or anybody's would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ken

Ken,

Did the developer happen to have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn?

John

Precisely, Mug... I would personally never invest in a project with no trust. Words and promises get blown by the wind.

Dom there is a development just south of Bahia called Las Olas that is planning on building stables, health clinic, stores, beach club, hotel, golf course, beachfront homes, golf course homes and condos. I visited there and met the developer and saw the property and liked it. I have given them a $10,000.00 deposit that I can get back by the end of December. I have to give them $60,000.00 at end of December and make payments for three years for a beachfront property to be built. Total purchase would be $160,000.00 for beachfront home of 2000 sq. ft..

How can I vet them to make sure it is legit. I don't know where to go from here to make sure I don't get taken.
The developers are a Canadian David Maksymuil and an American Randy Russ.

I am now back in USA and not sure where to go from here. I have to make a decision by December 29th to either get my money back or go through with purchase.

Thank you,
Ken Kelly

I would like to know if the crime rate is as bad as one reads about, I know there is crime everywhere...How safe is it?

Ken, you didn't ask me but I think you're really playing the risk/reward card. How can the developers possibly create everything you described if they need your money to even begin the project? Fresh water has to be trucked to much of the coast. How are two golf courses going to be maintained? If you're under time pressure and not totally comfortable why go forward?

TNVOL, don't trust everything you read. Ecuador is safer than many places on this earth.