Tickets help!

I dont understand the tickets and validating tickets sytem that operates on the trams. the stations next to where I live have no machines on the platform to buy tickets? Are there machines on the tram? Or a ticket inspector?
This is so much simpler in the UK!!!

This differs from city to city - some sell tickets on the trains, for others you need to buy before boarding. Call the transit authority and ask, since doing it wrongly (and getting caught) will cost you at least EUR40.

I understand completely. I always buy on the tram as then it's already validated. I am always confused as to the length of journey the tickets give me. Good luck ;)

Yeah i dont fancy paying 40euro so thanks!!

Im sure i will figure it out soon enough!

I got caught once. Very embarrassing ;)

Ha.. Really?!
What happened?! Did you play dumb tourist?

I played very dumb but still stung me :(
Never again, I just had the wrong ticket but he was not letting me off!!!

Thats not good at all. there goes my play dumb plan.
Need to grasp the ticket concept asap then!

At least they run on time in Germany ;)

This is very true!!

Hi Laura!

Welcome to Cologne! I know taking public transport can be quite confusing for newcomers.
If you take the tram, you usually can buy the ticket inside the train. Each car should have a working ticket vending machine which can also show you instructions in English language. Be aware that these machines ONLY accept coins, no paper money at all. Plus, especially during rush hour, it may be impossible to get through the crowd to the vending machine. Also take care to validate certain tickets (like day ticket or 4-ticket) at a ticket cancelling machine (usually near to the doors).
I think the KVB official website will also be helpful to you; since the English version is quite hidden for my taste, here's the linkkvb-koeln.de/german/tarif/eng.html - KVB - Koelner Verkehrs Betriebe

cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon..

Thank you!! I have no problem understanding German so I wont need to hunt for an english translation just trying to understand the system is my problem.

Very helpful though, thanks again!

Laura :)