UK to Burgas / Varna

Over the next few months, we are looking into investing in a property in these areas, around Burgas/Varna.
What we are looking for is, a 3 bed house that needs a little work, lots of land so we can be self-efficient. Meaning, growing crops, fruit, animals from pigs to chickens.
We are a family, and understand education maybe a problem so at first we may be using this  as a holiday home.

But, however looking at the flights to Bulgaria, they seem to be booked up for the next year ahead, your ok if u want to pay £400 return or 1 adult, i have 4 adults 1 child, as my 17 year old and 14 year old is class as adults now.

So we are trying to look for alternative means, also location is a key for us if anyone could recommend an area that would be ideal for us to start looking, as we do not drive, and would rely on public transport maybe so that we could buy furniture, main food etc.

My questions are:

1) From the UK to Bulgaria, how do u travel? as flying it seems is becoming hard and expensive.

2) Which would be the ideal place for us to start with looking for our new home? around Burgas and Varna area. Bearing in mind that we do not drive as of yet but learning.

3) Would you approach a local agent, or go private?

I look forward to all responses.

Kind Regards

Balkan Holidays do flights to burgas but only in summer I think.
I've sold my house here and plan to move to BG probably around March when I can retire. I've looked at Burgas/Varna and find it too touristy and houses are a bit more expensive.
I'm going to the Veliko Tarnovo region where I've viewed lots of houses. The area has lots of surrounding villages ideal for the lifestyle your looking for. The area also has a big ex pat population. If you look at that area I can recommend a good estate agent. Happy to exchange thoughts with you

Another option for travel will be to travel to Sofia and the get a bus to Varna or Burgas. It costs around 30 BGN per person (or less). Also check some low cost airlines, have a look on kayak.com. But I think air.bg flies even at winter months from Sofia to Varna.

Some transport is available in all seaside villages because they are also resorts. In winter, however, the transport could be less frequent or non existent. I suggest you find a small town like Obzor, Sarafovo or Sozopol. These are small enough to get some land and big enough to have a local supermarket and transport.

Alternative means for you could be giving English lessons to locals. And do use an agency when you get property, it is more safe that way.

Good luck!

Hi. How far away are you from the sea, and could you give me  the name of your estate agent please, how are you enjoying it, what is the crime like, and the people, doctors and everything else, I'm diabetic so need insulin and doctors around. Please let me know what you think now. Thanks

Thank you so much, our problem is we will be coming over in high season, but the weather is the best, and hubby can only get leave then, what is the winters like, as we are in Abu Dhabi UAE , and very very hot, it's our winter now and it's 29 deg, and we are coming over when it hits 50 plus here. I'm so glad to hear the people are so nice, that helps. What about doctors.

Nice to hear from you

Debbie

Hi Nanz

Thank you so much you have put my mind at  rest, we will be coming over for the month of July, will be hiring a car, and doing the same as you, travel around and have a look,  how far away are you from the sea, as my hubby dives and loves fishing. Making my own wine sounds good, I didn't think about that I was just thinking of veggies and animals, is there a lot of crime and do you lock up everything, I got told you need alarms, bars at windows,  we were both born in uk, grew up in South Africa, and since my hubby and I decided to expat, we have lived in antiqua, Jamaica, Egypt and now in UAE, just so our kids could have private schooling, as we didn't like the way the kids grow up in the uk, so we are planning to buy now and only move for good, in 2/3 yrs time after my son and daughter have done there gcse, would we be able to pay someone to look after our house, and can you trust them.

Sorry I've got so many things I want to know.

Enjoy your wine

Debbie