Life in Mosta?

Our relocation date is approaching fast and we are looking into renting a property in Mosta. However I am slightly worried about our everyday life there. Initially I will stay home with our two children and we do not plan to have a car. Realistically how long would it take to commute from Mosta to Ta Xbiex? Is it possible to find shopping, doctor, nursery/playgroup other thing to do with with children in Mosta or we will have to travel for these? Thank you for your advice.

Hello pevi,

You might want to check forum Malta - Everyday life. Might help you a little.

Melissa

Hi Pevi.  I live in Mosta and it's fantastic!  On average, it takes me 20 minutes to get to work in Sliema and about 30 to get home in rush hour.  On the bus (frequent from Mosta) you are probably looking at 40 minutes.There is a lovely park and lots of nice coffee shops.  My kids go to a tumble tots class here on a Saturday.  There are a few nurseries around and there is Pallazo Parissio (can't spell) in Naxxar, which is lovely.  T'qali has a great adventure park and is just down the road and they also have gardens. I'm much happier in Mosta with my kids than I was living in St Julian's.

Hi, thank you for your message. I assume you have a car to take your family to the places you mentioned. My main concern is that I will be very isolated without a car (getting one is not an option, I do not even have a driving license). How good is the public transportation during weekends and public holidays?

HI PEVI,
buses will take you everywhere, i've seen bus stops in every place we've been so far and even if there's less on weekends and bank holidays all you need to do is to call the number on their website and ask for info, everytime i've called them they have been very helpfull.  Believe me even if they say a lot of bad stuff about buses at least they are they for an option i've lived in places where buses did,t exist and even if they did there would be probably one every 4 hours (sicily)
take care
Giuseppina

Thank you for your reassurance Giussepina. Currently I live in a place where a tram passes in every couple of minutes and I can take a double buggy and a dog on leash on it. I never felt a need for a car. I am sure that we will adjust in Malta, just right now it is a bit daunting to make decisions without local knowledge.

Pevi, yes I do have a car.  However, my nanny often takes my 3 children on busses and they go all over.  I think it's a bit of a mission with a double buggy as you have to put them down, but it's not unmanageable.  The public transport is very good, just a bit slow during rush hour.  You may find doing shopping a bit harder, but obviously that depends on how much you buy and where you are buying from.  Most food shops do deliver, but I found doing orders online wasn't easy.  You need to consider that everyone drinks bottled water and that's heavy to carry.  However, you can get a dispenser and have water delivered.

you could also buy a filter jug and filters to filer all tap water - we do this all the time and it makes such a difference and you dont have to carry lots of heavy bottles of water..and it works pur cheaper too

"Currently I live in a place where a tram passes in every couple of minutes and I can take a double buggy and a dog on leash on it" - no dogs on buses here unless in a crate that fits on your lap (assistance dogs are permitted)

I have a double buggy cause i have 2 children and never had a problem going on the bus with it , when i have time i just wait for the long bus otherwise i just tell people to stand up from the seats that are designated for mums and children....it's really a matter of adjustment , you will be fine....some bus drivers has been very helpful recently due to the fact that i'm pregnant aswell but in summer having the two children and not showing a bump some of them were equally friendly and supportive, i mean bus service could need a lot of improvment but over all it's just fine.
Giuseppina

Hi there

can i ask did you move to mosta as we are relocating here from the uk in december this year and i have a 2 1/2 year old daughter?

Kind regards

Laura

Hi,

no, we ended up renting a flat in Gzira. When we arrived to Malta and started to search for a place to stay we had to realize that the commuting would be to much for my partner. He works in Ta Xbiex and can walk to work in 10 minutes. I regularly use the bus service with the children, but quite often I have to wait long half an hours because the bus just never comes or will not stop because it is already full or the driver is just not in the mood.

Good luck with your move.

Evi

transport / commuting is such an important factor when choosing where to live - ignore it at your peril.

It's only an issue if you use public transport, otherwise you can pretty much get anywhere on the island in 20 minutes. 

If you are still looking to live in Mosta, I have a house to rent out here.

klstorme wrote:

It's only an issue if you use public transport, otherwise you can pretty much get anywhere on the island in 20 minutes. 

i think that 20 mins is more than a little optomistic

You're probably right, toonarmy.  I've spent so long on this gorgeous island, I've started to drive like a local ;)

klstorme wrote:

You are joking of course?

klstorme wrote:

Hi Klstorme,

I've PM'd you.

Ken

@redmik Maybe it's when and where I travel, but short of going to The far ends of the island or into central birkikara, I never spend more than 30 minutes per journey and that includes rush hour traffic.

Hi...i am french, and i sometimes go to Mosta for working !

Must admit that this city is very quiet......far different from the cities on the coast !

I am planning to come in malta in Feb 18- and want to stay in mosta
is there any public school for my son of 7 years
how is life out there?
is there any pub?
i will be working in floriana- the istance please?