Looking to explore Ecuador

Hi,

I am looking to explore Ecuador for possibly relocating.  I have done some research, and it appears that either Cuenca or some of the beach towns might be right up my alley. I currently reside in the U.S., I would be relocating by my self, and do not know any person there - and do not speak Spanish.... I would appreciate any advise anyone of you might have as far as visiting for the first time, where to stay and where to go so that I might find a new home.  I will be looking to start a business, had a restaurant for 12 years, don't know if I have it in me to do it again, lol... however, might consider doing it again if the right opportunity would represent itself.  I appreciate any suggestions.  Thank you,  Thora Storm.

Hello Thora,

If you visit Cuenca you will easily meet expats just walking around in downtown. There's plenty here.
Also there's many bars and restaurants where they meet like Di Bacco on Tuesdays and Fridays, Zoe bar on Fridays, Inca Bar, Eucaliptus cafe and so on.

The expat community is very friendly and happy to meet new ones.

As you visit restaurants owned by foreigners you can find out about the chance to open a restaurant in Ecuador.

If you want, you can contact me an talk about Cuenca.

Vinny

Hi Thora,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I created a new thread as from your post on the Cuenca forum.

Best of luck,
Christine

The owners of California Kitchen and San Sebas Cafe in Cuenca are expats. They could best advise you on your plans for a restaurant.

Hi, I live in the coast. If you come to the beach, I can suggest Salinas or Montanita for a restaurant. These towns are growing fast, new restaurants and recreational venues are opening as there is now a coordinated effort to promote and serve tourism from the private and public sectors. Salinas is a resort beach town, weather is warm and dry most the year (70-85F), sandy golden beaches, emerald green sea, beautiful sunsets, very kind people, growing expat community, very populated in high season, outdoor activities like jet skiing, boating, yatch racing, deep see fishing, whale watching, beach events, surfing, small aquarium.
Montanita has a younger crowd, higher expat percentage, countless bars, restaurants and places to party and more extreme sports like parasailing and zip lining and of course the classic annual surfing championship. If you come to the coast I would love to meet up. Take care.

Hi Thora, sounds great, I published my recos in a blog post about my ideal itinerary for a trip to Ecuador... here it is http://ecuadorrealestate.org/ecuador-sa … itinerary/ .  saludos, Dom