Puerto Rico vs. Costa Rica

I visted Costa Rica in January of 2012 and Puerto Rico in June of 2012. Costa Rica was Okay but everything about it was expensive.

We like Puerto Rico so much that we have another trip planned in February 2013. We stayed for a week near Fajardo and visited Flamenco Beach and Seven Seas Beach.They were right up there with some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. If you like the caribbean, Costa Rica just won't do it for you. We have been to St. Thomas USVI 5+ times and found Puerto Rico to be less expensive than STT. They have Walmarts and many recognizable fast food restaurants.

While I would not want to raise children in PR, I am considering living there in retirement (at least half time). Round trip airfare out of Chicago is reasonable and often a non-stop flight.

Of course, I would not plan on buying real estate in Puerto Rico without first having lived there for an extended period of time. I would nout want to try to find employment, I imagine it would be next to impossible for a non-spanish speaking gringo.

Puerto Rico is beautiful.

hey weeonejo,
we are planning a trip to pr in feb 2013 and may want to stay for one week on the east side of the island...any recommendations in or around fajardo?

Timjoe,

We found a nice 3 br/2 ba rental in the Pena Mar condo complex overlooking a marina through VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals by Owner). We had 3 young adults with us who had to be sufficiently pampered and this worked well. It is not beachfront but we rented a car.... there is a Walmart nearby. Complex has security, pool, gym, etc. We found most people speak decent english, HOWEVER, all road signs and advertisements are in Spanish. Bring a phrase book OR have a language translator app on your smart phone.

We had a day trip to Flamenco Beach on Culebra Island. Absolutely amazing.

We loved Puerto Rico, even at the end of June the weather was beautiful.

Jo