Moving To Singapore

Hello everyone,

I'm an Australian currently living in Taiwan but about to move to Singapore in 3 weeks.

I just wanted to know a few things prior to getting there:

1) what are the going rate for 2/3 apartments that are dog friendly? (any real estate agent recommendation?)

2) what areas should I be looking at (or avoiding) to live
i.e Good Beaches, Good Public transport, Uni's etc

3)To all expats - Any advise on looking for work, what documentation and permits are needed?

4) I'll be looking at continuing my Mandarin classes so any language institutes or Uni's recommendation would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, hope to speak with you soon & meet some of you in 3 weeks or so

James

Hi Jimmy!

Congrats on your decision to move to vibrant Singapore! To answer your questions are the ff:

1. 1 bedroom/studio apartment wil cost around SGD 1.5 to 2K. If you opt for 2 to3 bedroom, the range is around 2.5 to 3.5k. You can also choose to sublet from other expatriates here thru this site, expatsingapore.com. Most of the apartments are pet friendly.

2. East Coast area is a popular place or rather preferred locations of expats. food and supermarkets is not a problem. Almost everywhere in singapore is accessible to bus, trains, taxi, etc. Everything here is at yout convenience!

3.Work, you can always find online, recruitment agencies and strait times newspaper (saturday). 

4. There are various community or learning centres that will help improve your Mandarin skills.

Hope i have help in a bit! All the best! :-)

thanks Pitipat for your helpful and speedy reply

you're a champion

Hi Jimmy,

Apartments in SG are all pet friendly, you should have no trouble. Depending on whether you want to share or get your own place you can use the website rooms share or get an agent.

Beaches are not good here, you cannot swim in the water, SG waters are covered in oil, draw backs of bing one of the biggest ports in the world. East coast park is great you can bring your dog down there it goes on for miles along the coast.

Most ex-pats live in the west coast, depends on what you are looking for...

Visas you get a 30 day visa on arrival and when you get a job your employer applies to MOM for a visa for you, all depends on your background.

Happy to answer any more questions if you need info, just recently moved here with my husband and we are still finding our feet...

Finn

Hey Finn,

Thanks heaps . . I'm having a look at some rental properties on the west coast now, thanks again for you help

Hope you and your husband find your feet quickly.

hope to talk to you again soon
James

[Moderated: please post in the Housing section of the site]

For the record, I don't know any expats who live on the West Coast. I don't think I know anyone living west of Holland Village. There are a lot of great areas, so find a real estate agent who will show you many neighborhoods and give yourself enough time to experience Singapore before you settle. It's quite common to have a few real estate agents so that you can see as much as possible and then go with one that serves you best.

If you like downtown living, there are a lot of downtown areas that will give you the city feel. The East Coast and areas up north are more like suburbia. Costs will be high and they will definitely be higher downtown, as will the traffic. If you don't know where you will be working, I recommend some place near an MRT station.

S3.5k is on the really low end of the housing prices so estimate more, especially since broker fees, deposits and stamp fees will also be added to the first month's rent.

Finding a job is easier for an expat man than it is for an expat wife. Definitely contact as many recruiting agencies as possible - and by contact I mean call them, do not register online and expect a call back. Best of luck. This is a great place to live.