A Dream?

Hello - I am getting of an age where I'd like to just relax and take things a bit easy, and was thinking seriously about relocation to Thailand.  I visited about 10 years ago - stayed a month - mostly in Chang Rai, and fell in love with the country.  I would prefer to live near the water - being a California native - I love the sun and sea.
Before I get too immersed into this pipedream of mine - would someone open my eyes?  Is this a practical venture?  I would have a fairly substantial 'nestegg' and would be collecting retirement - but I really want to know whether or not someone can actually make it there?  I don't mind working - no real degrees - but an extensive Telecom background - proficient in wireless - but mainly the service end, although I plan on 'using' the company I work for to enhance my technical skills.
Please - truth only?  No matter how tough it is to absorb, I would rather bite the bullet and either bust my rear to make it happen, or just retire the idea along with my body.  I DO have some health concerns - mostly related to chronic pain - so any info on medical resources would also be appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Jimmy

There are several local hospitals and small clinics but they are most generally poor English speaking, very understaffed and also poorly equiped. However, in the larger cities, the hospitals are very much state of the art. The cost of health care in thailand is amazingly low. Pharmacies as well are very available and carry a vast range of medications that are locally and internationally made. In several instances, they are able to carry and sell medicines that require a prescription in the USA but not a requirement there. Pharmacists are also able to offer and prescribe medicines in some circumstances. Most antibiotics do not need to have a prescription. If you considering a stay of a few months or making a more permanent relocation, I would highly reccommend that you perhaps speak with your own personal Physician for recommendations for over seas travel or living. It never hurts to ask as you would be very surprised as to what they may be able to inform you of.

Hello Ocala - thanks for the info..  I suspected as much but wanted to ensure that I would not have to worry about getting health care and meds.  I read one post where a young lady stated she got Blue Cross for $250.00 a year - something I will be looking into WAY before leaving - and thanks for the advice of speaking to my doctor(s) here - I will do that as well!

Jimmy

Oh - has anyone attempted to learn Thai?  Not writing - but speaking well enough to get by?  Any suggestions on this - where to go to get a course?

You may want to take a moment and look these over. I have heard really good things about Rosetta Stone, but possibly all of the programs I have included are much one in the same except for a cost factor.

Langocity.com/Thai

RosettaStone.com

ITS4Thai.com

Hope everyone had a joyous and Merry Christmas

Hi abitofabadboy

So, getting to the age where you just want to relax a?....... Still a teenager then!

Let me start by saying Thailand is a fantastic place to live and relax, but only if you are able to adapted to, or be tolerant wail you gain some (you'll never gain it all) understanding into the Thai mind set. You say you where here 10 years ago, trust me nothings changed, a few more cars, that's about it.
I'm sure you're an intelligent bloke, and not wishing to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, you do realize that the one month holiday you took all them years ago, has left you with a romantic vision of a land time forgot! Trust me after the honeymoon period, (about 2/3 month) of living here, the venire will start to slip!
I tell you this not to talk you out of living here, but to give you the heads up, so many foreigners (farang) generic Thai term for foreigners, never got the memo!
Belivie it or not you tell me a lot by where you where staying on holiday here. Chiang Rai, I would say you're a laid back type of bloke with a live and let live attitude, happy to go with the flow. Maybe even an ex-flower power, child? Ha, ha. I would always recommend the north of Thailand. (North Thailand for activities above the waste line, thinking ect, the South for activities below the waste line, dancing……….ect)
As for making it. Sure you can, why not. You don't say how old you are?
You need more than a tourist visa to live here, if over 50 you can get a retirement visa, (best bet) Look it up on the net. As for work…. Fat chance, you need a work permit here just to be a volunteer Thai Gov are paranoid that Thailand is being taken over by farang, so if a Thai can do the job, and he sure can (for half what you'll get out of bed for) so work, I fear, is off the cards mate. Money, you'll need as a minimum for a half decent life style about 60,000 bt.
Talking Thai…Don't rush it; you need to get your ear in! But in the short term “hello” what's your name” and “has anyone seen my cowboy hat” (that always confuses them)
Don't bother till you get here, and get a one on one Thai teacher, and yes learning Thai is well worth the effort, you will always be an outsider till you can converse in Thai.
Medical. You can get med cover (farang standard) in Thailand, some good private hospitals.
Still want to live here……… Sure you do! I'm still here, I live in a small village about 40 km North of Chiangmai near the main road to Chiang Dao, I know Chiang Rai, and I like it up there. The winter months are especially nice up north.
Right badboy! Gotta go, feel free to drop me a private line if you would like the low on some more sensitive issues in Thailand.

Laters