Kl. cost of living and safety

Hi I am from India   Got offer from kl for 12000 rm pm. can any one give me how lie style and cost of living will be in kl. I heard lots on safety can you please advise me.

Hi Ltated and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

Well, 12 000 RM per month can give you anything you like here, cause that kind of salary is not very common here :-)

Hello Ltated,

Welcome to expat-blog :)

Cost of living in Kuala Lumpur is a frequent asked question. I invite you to have a look to forum Kuala Lumpur - cost of living.

I hope this will help. Or else I am sure our members will help soon ;)

Melissa

Mija74 wrote:

Well, 12 000 RM per month can give you anything you like here, cause that kind of salary is not very common here :-)

What a silly and misinformed statement! Ten tears ago avps / line supervisors in banks earnt 12k - I know as saw all the data. A mamak restaurant owner ten years ago typically earnt 25,000 RM a month. No degree! Of course orang asli in Sabah earn 500 RM a month. So be careful of averages

In KL it is true salaries are low - grad say earns 3k starter - but people with any ambition go into business. Average salaries in Selangaor years ago was 7k. But unlike the west average of lots of high and lots of low.

12k yes can live off and yes can save. But not luxury lifestyle. Lower middle class income really. For Asian expats it's considered good now - that's the global depression - and western expats also getting significantly less than ten years ago when I knew rates (far better). Inflation since then of course. Sign if the times?

But don't be under impression it is great. So easy to spend 12k (9.3k after tax) and when you see your DVD seller with a merc...... Time you spent on rent, travel, car, medical.... Ok for single person.

A person with family two kids. No way. Say two teenagers. That is 5k a month in school fees alone. For a young single person who like to party - will spend all as well

Don't worry, for you alone 12 000 will be more than enough.