Proton cars in malaysia

Can someone help me with decision to buy a car.
since european cars are really expensive in malaysia, this forces some to buy a proton.
How reliable is the proton?. as i heard a lot of bad feedback about it.

on the other hand what would you recommend as a reliable car that is not too expensive?. (besides a proton)

have a look at the new mitsubishi model,,i think its called mirage,,
and i heard its going for around 60k,,

Buying cars in Malaysia is expensive.

Strongly recommended to buy a relay-able car otherwise in this hot climate you will have a serious problems.
Stick with Japanese & Korean cars.
Whats your budget?
Car prices in Australia is much cheaper compared to here.

If it is a second hand car that you looking for read classified section of local STAR newspaper again stick with the Japanese & Korean cars.
From car yard I would not recommend yo buy a car.
Try not to deposit money easily. Get a receipt.
See if the car still owe money to bank/see the documents are genuine/check out with JPJ if any unpaid someones is there or not.
You might buy a car from owners.
And you need to negotiate the prices & same model same age car again you can compare the prices classified section of that star newspaper & have a some idea what will be the cost.

dude believe me don't you ever try to buy proton saga from my experience , i bought a new one 2011 model i use it for 7 month after that i was get sick of it the air condition is so bad in a sunny day + no feet air condition ... and the most important is the petrol consumption is bad comparing with other cars same engine 1.3

no i sell it and i bought a Hyundai Elantra it's quit expensive comparing to the proton saga but you wouldn't regret it

also proton got persona it's nice car with a freezing air-con  and can got very cheap service for it and the best thing not that much it's price and when you sell it also still got it price ,,,, good luck with that :)

Proton cars are driven by Malays and cheapskate expats (like me!) if you want to be taken seriously anything but a proton. They suffer from alarm problems, electrical issues and a tendency for door handles to fall off. Also bad in crashes.

Cars in malaysia second most expensive in world.

A friend of mine here in Penang has had a Proton for 7 years now without major problems. I think the engine is Mitsubishi?
However, I have heard that the bodywork is very thin (is that why they cannot be exported?) - so you don't want to have a high-speed crash in one. Fine for going round town, but drive carefully on the highway!

Susdara wrote:

A friend of mine here in Penang has had a Proton for 7 years now without major problems. I think the engine is Mitsubishi?
However, I have heard that the bodywork is very thin (is that why they cannot be exported?) - so you don't want to have a high-speed crash in one. Fine for going round town, but drive carefully on the highway!

The reason why they can't be exported - apart from poor standards, unkown brand and not meeting western safety standards is;

Over capacity in world car market 160 million. Proton makes 0.1 million cars a year. Malaysian government pride is no match for Economics! Thailand did it far better - they make foreign cars locally. Proton only survives thanks to high import duties on foreign cars.

Proton should be shut down and stop wasting Malaysian tax payers money. Perodua has a slightly better business model as they buy designs and make cheap small cars for those that can't drive (Myvi).