How long days needed in order to be able to get a railway ticket

Who can tell me?

Hello Yuan Philip! Starting with a short hello or hi might be a little more appropriate? ;) But maybe that's the job of moderators and I shouldn't say that. :)
The railways open their booking 120 days in advance. This is called the general quota and technically you can book seats starting from 120 days before your travel till the day before your travel. Seats however are in short supply in the festive season and especially on some routes. There's also a provision for booking an urgent ticket if you need one right away. This scheme is called Tatkal quota and opens a day before. You can also visit the International Tourist office to book a ticket under the Tourist ticket scheme called the 'Tourist quota'.
Hope I helped!
V

Hello yuan-philip,

Indeed a little presentation is always welcome ;)

Hope you got your answer, or else stick around :D,

Melissa

How can we tell you when you have not asked a proper question?
Do you mean how far in advance you should book your ticket? Even that is not a proper question because it does not state where you are travelling.
My wife and I usually go long distances to large cities. We have found that we need to book 2-3 months in advance. If you are going to a local or nearby station, then you should be able to book within a day or so of your travel.
I hope that answers your questrion. If not, then please rephrase it.

try irctc.co.in   
this is indian railway's official ticket booking portal. you can check everything here. routes, fares, seat availability etc.
Note - this website is constantly under huge traffic. so be patient

You can book tickets 120 days in advance, If your query is regarding Indian Railway and you should plan your itinerary well in time should you be interested in using trains as most Indian trains are fully booked. _ Naval