Hi we are new on here....

Hello everyone!

We are from the north Houston area, and are looking at possibly getting a home or condo in Ecuador.

We have heard that Cuenca and Salinas areas are nice.  We are looking for the following:
Safety
Other Americans, Canadians or English Speakers in our community (we do speak some Spanish)
A Condo or home of at least 2-3 bedrooms with 2 baths
A nice property in a well kept area
Good dining and some shopping and entertainment
Possibly a housekeeper, caretaker since this will be a second home initially
Ocean and mountain access
Close to an airport (international preferably)
Tennis, golf? and activities like hiking
cost isn't our biggest issue, but we love warm weather and ocean activities.  I"m also a singer/songwriter so music and cultural activities and places to perform are a must.

We want to come for a visit first before we make any decisions, so any recommendations from Houston would be great as far as where to fly and where to stay, etc.

Looking forward to hearing from some of you!  Thanks!
Deborah & Larry

Welcome to Expat.com Deborah & Larry!;)

Hope that you'll soon be guided.

Do not hesitate to post an advert in the section Housing in Cuenca, it may help.:)

I also invite you to browse through the different threads of the forum.

Wish you well,
Harmonie.

Hi Debora, there is lots I can tell you about the resort beachtown of Salinas. I live in the border with Salinas in a more commercial also beachtown called La Libertad. Weather is awesome here...sunny, warm, dry (not humidity goes with me) sandy golden beaches, emerald green water. Lots of outdoor activities: surfing, water skiing, parasailing, boating, yacht racing, deep sea fishing, whale watching and beautiful sunsets. Indoor recreational activities are not that many, except for the high season and I see many opening particulary this coming season. Salinas is growing. There are some remarkable oceanfront and oceanviews housing opportunities, safety isnt a concern here, golf mmh...coming up!, airport under construction to be opened in 2013, access to mountains are about 40 min ride up north, expat community growing by the day, there is a mall, the best shopping places are 1 1/2 ride away to Guayaquil where -at the moment- is the only one International airport in the area...oh and yes, please we need singers for events here. Feel free to ask further questions or concerns.

I visited Ecuador last winter 9(well, winter in Canada that is) but Salinas did not rank high on my fave places: high rises mar the coast line, oily balls from somewhere nearby gave me blackened feet on the beach and there were not any really nice places to eat that I found...however, a great place right on the beach that I found to be quite agreeable was El Carruaje.
Salinas is great if you're into deep sea fishing, however.

Just my thoughts