Buying a house in Latvia

Hi,

I've just found out that Latvia will move to € as of the 1st of January 2014.

I've been thinking with my girlfriend (we are in Germany at the moment, I'm Italian and she's Latvian) to move to Latvia some day. Therefore we were sometimes looking for some houses there.

I am now thinking to hurry up a bit, as I'm 100% sure that the prices will get higher and higher after the change of the currency (I experienced it on myself in Italy). If we ever decide to move there, we will already have a house, otherwise we can anyway rent it to someone and earn some money on it.

Important to say is that I wouldn't buy a flat, but a house with some garden around and as few neighbors as possible. :)

Does this make sense to anyone?
What would be the minimum/maximum price?
Any tips?
Any websites?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Federico

Hi Unonius,

My girlfriend is Latvian and she read it on a national newspaper website. It's already sure! Lithuania will instead change in 2015.

Regards,
Federico

It's been in the plans for a while now, and is generally accepted.  Most people don't expect much change in lifestyle, as the Lat tends to follow the Euro anyway.
My company survives on Euro contracts, so for us it would simplify business and save us the exchange costs.