Cost of living in Abu Dhabi for a family of 4

Hello all,

I am about to receive an offer to work in Abu Dhabi and I am wondering on the cost of living there. I am a postdoc in engineering with 6 years experience.

We are a family of 4, me and my wife with two kids.
As far as I understood the benefits will include housing and kids education, what I want to know is the daily life expenses:

1- Utilities: electricity, water, Gas
2- Grocery: how much on average you think one would spend
3- Dinning out a couple of times a month
4- Car: how much would a car cost there, can we buy one with installments?
5- Fuel and parking
6- Internet

Thank you for your help

Hi YZ82 and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that other members will soon share their experience with you.;)

In the meantime, I invite you to browse though the forum, it may give you an idea.

Harmonie.

It all depends on the package that you are offered.  Most companies take care of the accommodation, medical, kids education (allowance or actuals paid by some companies and government agencies). air tickets annually (may be semi annually in some cases!!!).

If you stay in an apartment, electricity/water would be approx. AED  200 per month at the most whilst the central gas would set you back about AED 100 per month at the most.  However, deposits would be required for electricity and water (AED 1000) whislt the gas company would also require a deposit (unsure of the amount but it is not much).

Groceries would not burn a big hole in your pocket but depends on what luxuries you are looking for when you eat.  I would say a family of four would be able to survive on max of AED 750 per week (upper end) not including liqour expenses.

Dining out a couple of times a month at a food court in a mall and at a hotel would be different.  Guess if you are with two kids, then it would be at malls that you may have meals - should be under AED 150 at the most per visit.  However, if you eat at hotels, then you would need to keep aside a minimum of about AED 600 - AED 700 per visit.

Vehicle cost depends on whether you are buying new or used and also whether it is a car or 4WD.  You could get a bank loan processed to pay for the vehicle in instalments.  Most companies give their employees a vehicle loan which is interst free - so better check out with the company.

Fuel is relatively cheap - a full tank for a 4 WD would set you cak about AED 150 per visit to the sheds whilst most apartments in the new buildings have underground parking available which is paid for with the annual rent.  However, if you stay in a building where there is no covered/secured parking, then you would have to obtain a residents permit which is AED 800 per year for the first car and AED 1200 per year for the second car (think I have got the rates correct!!!).

Internet service would have to be obtained from Etisalat and charges depends on what type of service you need.  This is something that could be verified by checking their website www.etisalat.ae and browsing the website.

Anything else, you could email me and I will be glad to help out.

Cheers and hope this information would be useful.

Hello sammymelder,

Thank you so much for the nice detailed information, I really appreciate it.

I am still waiting for the offer from the employer (fingers crossed).

Regards