Carrots

Now this is a very important question which I'm hoping someone can help me with. Has anyone else noticed that in all/most Norwegian supermarkets you can only buy carrots in packs of 10 or more? I've never seen them to buy loose. Why would anyone need so many? Can anyone explain this to me? Perhaps I'm just going into the wrong shops.

I am with you on this one, also onions...as I am living on my own and trying live cheaply, it means I have to choose a type of veg and stick with it for a week. It's getting a bit boring though!

Pete101 wrote:

I am with you on this one, also onions...as I am living on my own and trying live cheaply, it means I have to choose a type of veg and stick with it for a week. It's getting a bit boring though!

I manage to get loose onions from Rimi.  As for the carrots, I can't say I've noticed them sold loose, but I do buy the carrots in the larger packs, and keep them in the vegetable section of my fridge for use throughout the week.  Carrot soup needs lots of carrots, unsurprisingly.

I suppose carrots they keep a while if you buy a pack but I don't use them all that often. Clearly I'm going to have to start making carrot soup. But what are the Norwegians doing with them? Are they big fans of carrot soup. Perhaps I'll make a big pot and ask the neighbours round.

Well, I can see I'm going to have to do a survey at work to get to the bottom of this mystery. Far more important than what I'm being paid to do.

they are great snacks
i remember when i was a kid i ate carrots with peanut butter on them, then again i ate pretty much anything with PB on it.
Leverpostei is the norwegian PB, though i don't think i would eat carrots with paté

Perhaps I'll buy some peanut butter then. As a vegetarian, I'll give the leverpostei  a miss. I did make some nice carrot soup yesterday. All in all, it seems the surplus carrots can be put to good use.

Lots of snowmen I guess?

i agreed with you..i always end up throwing some of my carrots away cos its geting old ... so now i just bought the frozen one. i still cant find where they sell the lose one.

Hi peeps, just try to find an Asian shop near you and you would be able to find most vegetables loose. I found two in Moss, and they sell vegetables loose, so you can buy as little as you want. Bigger supermarkets are a pain for packaging everything in too much plastic and in big packs. A lot of vegetables in the Asian markets are fresher too, with more varieties. Then again, I'm speaking as an Asian shopping for my familiar kind of veggies.

i was living there for a month this year, and they do sell vegetables by kilo. you should try in rema1000. hey are the cheaper store.
and carrots and onions can be well kept in a paper bag. :)

Norwegian meals are very often served with potatoes and carrots. Boiled or grated. I guess this is one of the reasons why we buy them in 10-packs. ^^ And of course, a 10 pack or a bunt of carrots is probably cheaper than buying them loose...

If you put the vegetables in the fridge, they last long anyways. Then you can but a few different and combine them in various ways.
You could always buy the wok-vegetable and other vegetable combination bags in the frozen dishes too.
And to make carrot and rutabaga sticks, perhaps with some kind of dip, as a snack, is one of the best things I can reccomend to do with any extra carrots! :) Then they could be gone quite quickly!

ToraMarihøne92 wrote:

Norwegian meals are very often served with potatoes and carrots. Boiled or grated. I guess this is one of the reasons why we buy them in 10-packs. ^^ And of course, a 10 pack or a bunt of carrots is probably cheaper than buying them loose...

If you put the vegetables in the fridge, they last long anyways. Then you can but a few different and combine them in various ways.
You could always buy the wok-vegetable and other vegetable combination bags in the frozen dishes too.
And to make carrot and rutabaga sticks, perhaps with some kind of dip, as a snack, is one of the best things I can reccomend to do with any extra carrots! :) Then they could be gone quite quickly!

What a topic hellooooo

ToraMarihøne92 wrote:

I really start feel like eating carrots nam nam hamm

Carrots, potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower---THEY HAUNT ME EVEN IN MY SLEEP!! I am Asian and we eat hot meals 3-4 times a day...when I first moved here, I was on the brink of going nuts..but I got used to the food now. It isn't so bad actually.

As for the answer to ur question--Norwegians adore veggies. Middag is served almost always with carrots and stuff. Only Asian shops sell carrots and different veggies in a not so huge bag, if u know what I mean.