VISA FOR UK APPLICANT

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me.

Which police check did you  send in order to get your working visa in Vietnam?

I will be teaching in HCMC and I am unsure as to whether to apply for:

a police certificate which is normally issued to people who want to apply for a visa in the USA/Aus/NZ/Canada which takes either 10 days or 2 working days depending on what you pay

or

for a standard subject check or whatever it is called which is done on the police database and takes 40 days and costs 10 pounds.

thanks for your help!

Enter VietNam on a 3-month tourist visa. The VN Embassy in London has a bad reputation for 'service', fees and bribes.

DO NOT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT WORK!!

Order your criminal record profile (there are two types in the UK - the USA/Canada version is the wrong one). The info is on-line. The profile has a 3-month validity in VN. Check: < http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/f … ice-record >, < http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/to … crime.aspx >.

This profile will have to be Certified by the UK consulate; then translated by the official VN Notary/Translator.

There are numerous posts on Work Permit application here.

Some choose to come here on a tourist visa, even work part-time and THEN apply for a Permit. This choice affects when you apply for your profile.

If you have UK family, have the document sent there, and then ask the to register express mail it to you here c/o Post Restante, Main Post Office, Quan 1, TP Ho Chi Minh. You will need your passport for pick-up.

But never mention work until after you arrive!

Hey thanks for your reply.

The thing is, I have already found work, and my employer wants me to submit the police check to her so that she can request a visa for me. She has told me the required authentication steps ie
get it notarized by a Notary Public in the country / State of origin then get The notary's seal  authenticated by the authorized office in the country and finally he Vietnamese embassy or Consulate in the country of origin  must authenticate the signature or the seal blah blah (it all sounds so complicated!)

however, im confused as to which police check i need. because i did research and found the two types u mention so im not sure which one to apply for. which one do suggest? also, they want me in HCMC before the 24th and the police check which i think they require takes up to 40 days to be done..(the basic one). the other one costs quite a bit and can be done in 2 or 10 days but the forms say that the specific police check is done for visas for australia/new zeland etc...

Hi Natalie, just  get the standard subject check (Basic one). The other one is not recognised here.The paperwork is a ball ache but it's fairly straight forward to follow.
Once you find a notary to stamp it for you, it then goes to the home office in Milton Keynes for them to stamp it and finally to the VN embassy in London for them to stamp it for you.
As i said bit of of a ball ache but straight forward once you get going.
Check this site out for a notary near you:
http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/
I got mine done in London for ease and emailed haf a dozen for prices etc. Some of them were expensive so worth checking around. Oh had family send it to the various offices for me.
Prices at the VN embassy were higher than here but service was ok about a week turn around I think.

NATALIE_SEP wrote:

I have already found work, and my employer wants me to submit the police check to her so that she can request a visa for me.

Since som much work has to be done (i.e. VN translation, etc.) it is far, far easier just to get the document, bring it to VN and do the process here.

Any government document issued has to be certified by both the issuing country AND the VN embassy. As I said, the London VN Embassy is notorious for delays and tricks.

NATALIE_SEP wrote:

im confused as to which police check i need. because i did research and found the two types u mention so im not sure which one to apply for. which one do suggest?

the one you want is NOT the one for the US/Canada. The one you need is more like a access to information. The Plod will tell you which one.

NATALIE_SEP wrote:

they want me in HCMC before the 24th and the police check which i think they require takes up to 40 days to be done.

THIS is the very reason I suggested you get a 3-month tourist visa. Come over here by the deadline and simply have your folks express register mail the thing to the address I gave you.

You will (1) Be in VN in time; (2) You an still work (unofficially); (3) A three month visa will carry you over until your Permit is issued.

In TP HCM, with your criminal record in hand, (1) go to the the UK Consulate on La Duan Street, District 1. They will certify it's authenticity.  (2) You, or your employer, will then take it to the Official Notary/Translator near the Main Post Office, opposite the Diamond Plaza on La Duan Street. (Only an official translator is accepted).

Thereafter follows a hail storm of forms and papers which your employer will sort out.

YOU WILL need 4 mugshots (passport type) and a of of patience. PP photos are cheaper here.

BTW, bring your GSM cell phone. It is fine for use over here. If it s locked, no problem.

ALSO, make arrangements with a bank in the UK for ATM access in VN. The HSBC is one I do not recommend but this web site doesn't allow the reasons to be mentioned.

See if you can find a bank with no overseas ATM charges and sign up with them.

Thanks to both of you for your advise. I will book my flight over and hope for the best. once the check comes through in 40 days I can decide where to get it authenticated!