Receiving statutory maternity pay (SMP) from UK and moving to Germany

Hi

I am hoping to get some advice on healthcare, paying taxes and receiving maternity related allowances from Germany when I move to there in December.
At this point I will be 7 month pregnant and in receipt of SMP.
This means that I will continue to pay tax and national insurance in UK.
Should I receive an S1 form form the UK for the duration of my SMP, which would then allow my to get all healthcare in Germany?
Do I also have to pay tax in Germany?
In Germany, new parent can apply for 'Elterngeld'. Would I qualify for this?

It would be great if somebody could shed some light on my questions. Many thanks.

Hello AnkeMarrs.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will be able to help you.

Thank you,
Aurélie

It is compulsory to have health insurance for everybody living in Germany.
You either have to become member of the German system, or participate in it through your continuing UK insurance (S1 form?). The German public system has no exclusions for maternity or pre-existing conditions, the private system does - thus you want to be in the public system.
If you live in Germany with your eligible child, you can also get Kindergeld and Elterngeld. These require separate applications and the paperwork is a bit bothersome. If you don't speak German, get somebody to help you with it.
There's a double taxation agreement between UK and Germany. That means you generally pay tax only in one location. But it's not you who decides where! If you live and work in Germany, you pay tax here, not in UK.